Getting married at sea on the breakaway in feb; good idea or not?

BBcruiser14

Marriage is a State Right in the US according to the Supreme Court so you no matter what NCL does you do have to check with your state what is needed to register marriages that took place outside of the state.

Heck Massachusetts allows a friend or family member to perform the ceremony, the Secretary of State grants a one day Designation Certificate to the officiant.

Marriage is a State Right in the US according to the Supreme Court so you no matter what NCL does you do have to check with your state what is needed to register marriages that took place outside of the state.

Heck Massachusetts allows a friend or family member to perform the ceremony, the Secretary of State grants a one day Designation Certificate to the officiant.

Which has nothing at all to do with the OP, since they are from Scotland.

Just because the Bahamas gave them this right doesn't necessarily mean that it is legal. I could go online and pay $200 to be ordained as a minister in the Church of Internet Ministry and be legally able to perform a wedding ceremony anywhere I think.

OP should inquire with the county/state they live in if a "wedding at sea" is legal or if they would still have to go to the local courthouse later on to make it official.

This topic came up in conversation with a friend of mine who is about to drop 30+thousand on a Island port wedding and is now lokking for a cheaper option. What I told her is this NO the wedding my not be legal at sea but what you do is you go the courthouse in your state and get married legally on paper and then have your beautiful less expensive ceremony at sea.

I just got married at sea on the Escape on 8/21. There is quite a bit of paperwork involved to make it legal, but I am in fact legally married now. So yes, it CAN be done. You need to get specific paperwork for the country you're getting married in. Certain pieces of it will need to be:

Notarized

Certified

Apostille'd (Apostille letter attached by Secretary of State office)

As long as the government in the location you get married in approves your marriage license and registers it, and you meet the requirements to get married at the location your wedding will take place, the USA will recognize it too. But check with your state attorney general's office, some states may not recognize it.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seems like a lot of work and if one piece is messed up would hate to find out it was null in void. I recommended getting married at the local court house and ceremony at sea. Did you ever consider that as an option? Bye the way congrats!!! Sure it was all worth it!!!

I just got married at sea on the Escape on 8/21. There is quite a bit of paperwork involved to make it legal, but I am in fact legally married now. So yes, it CAN be done. You need to get specific paperwork for the country you're getting married in. Certain pieces of it will need to be:

Notarized

Certified

Apostille'd (Apostille letter attached by Secretary of State office)

As long as the government in the location you get married in approves your marriage license and registers it, and you meet the requirements to get married at the location your wedding will take place, the USA will recognize it too. But check with your state attorney general's office, some states may not recognize it.

-Keith

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We were on that cruise with you. It was a very nice ceremony. Everyone around us in the atrium was touched by your vows. Congrats!

Since the previous posters have proven that it is possible to get married at sea, I'd actually contact NCL to see if it might be possible to reschedule the wedding if it seems like the weather will be really bad 24 hours in advance. The ship forecast is pretty accurate 24 hours in advance, and I don't think they'd do anything to set up for the wedding until pretty close to the ceremony so honestly it seems as though rescheduling for weather might be a possibility (I have absolutely no clue if NCL will allow this, but it might be worth asking since you don't need to worry about different countries marriage laws like if you were planning on getting married in a port).

Edited by kitkat343

I would stick to your plan.

Fantastic cruise - If I were choosing a port to get married in I'd choose Tortola - but as you are getting married on the ship - a day at sea would be lovely.

Perfect beginning - does it really matter if it does happen to be a "bad weather" day - The ship will have lots of beautiful wedding venue spots -

Stick with it - sounds like a great plan.

Many congratulations - Go for it!

PS - And as you know - many here will schedule a wedding in July - plan three years making it happen - churches, photographers, cars, blah blah - and come the day - it could be peein doon ....

Fantastic - February? Dark, cold miserable - V Caribbean sunshine - yup - go for it!!

Edited by Blondie008