Can we carry on 18x12x33?

okeytaco

We can do a 7 day cruise with only a small carry-on case each but we're doing a 2 week cruise with another week in Europe. I would like to take our hand luggage with our essentials (just in case the airline loses the big one) and one large suitcase. I hate to think what we'd do if it went astray so I'd prefer to keep it with us. Carnival says this: "Passengers may elect to carry their own luggage on board if it does not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat on the security screening machine"; the length of the bag is not a factor." So I know it will fit through the scanner. What I don't know is if the porters will insist it's too big and try to force us to check it. We don't plan to check in until after the time rooms are ready so lugging it around won't be a problem. Anyone have experience with this?

We can do a 7 day cruise with only a small carry-on case each but we're doing a 2 week cruise with another week in Europe. I would like to take our hand luggage with our essentials (just in case the airline loses the big one) and one large suitcase. I hate to think what we'd do if it went astray so I'd prefer to keep it with us. Carnival says this: "Passengers may elect to carry their own luggage on board if it does not exceed 16 inches high x 24 inches wide, laying flat on the security screening machine"; the length of the bag is not a factor." So I know it will fit through the scanner. What I don't know is if the porters will insist it's too big and try to force us to check it. We don't plan to check in until after the time rooms are ready so lugging it around won't be a problem. Anyone have experience with this?

It has to fit through the x-ray machine. As long as it fits, it's ok. I have never seen a porter or NCL personnel try to measure a bag!

Edited by Sissaaaaaa

Question for OP, have you ever tried taking that 33" x 18" x 12" luggage successfully thru the classic airport style x-ray scanner commonly & still in use today (NCL is vague on its rules, aside from 2 pieces per pax @ 50 lbs. limit ... although we have never - 15+ years of cruising with NCL - seen the "gate dragons" in action with tape measure & digital scale)

https://www.ncl.com/faq#how-many-suitcases

This has nothing to do with CCL, their rules & how it is written. When we travel int'l - we sometimes pack a 25" Travelpro, expandable roller that easily tip the scale at 50 lbs (22.675 kg) & checked with the airline's "Heavy" tag. Flying J - the weight allowance is relaxed and often, we get a higher limit but seldom do so - some of the regional flights flown are restricted to 20 kg or 44 lbs ( ... since you mentioned Europe, by air or train :D )

I'm 95% certain that your 18" wide item (by 12" tall by 33" length) isn't exactly considered carry-on or hand luggage (even if that's a LL Bean style rolling duffle or alike) and most likely - won't fit nor be allowed to go thru the terminal's regular x-ray scanner, even if two of you can manage to lift it up and off afterward.

As frequent travelers that fly quite a bit in the last 45+ years, we've experienced and seen our shares of delayed & mis-connected luggage - so will always cross-pack our items when traveling together; and, or have as much as 2 to 3 days worth of clothing in our cabin-sized int'l carryon bag (yes, it can be done even with a 17" to 18" tall backpack)

The more we've traveled, the less we packed & just a few extra pieces for a 2, 3 or 4 weeks trip with the solution, called doing "laundry" - it's amazing & works, mix-n-match & color-coordinate. Your hands & back will be thankful and depending on the ports & ship sailing (not sure of yours) - those gangways & terminals aren't always the best or fun to navigate, as part of the boarding.

And, I assume your luggage have solid wheels that can be easily replaced since - unlike airports - there are no luggage carts for use, free or otherwise with a fee, in case yours fall apart. My advice, switch to a smaller checked luggage for the porter (airline's oversized/weight luggage fees can be as much as $100 to $200 per item, unless you are waived) and cross-pack, take an even smaller & typical-sized carry-on with a change of clothes & essentials/valuables thru security yourself.

Obviously, it's your choice to do as you wish - and, start exercising those arms & wrists in preparation for lifting those heavy bags. There are no porters around to assist and it's not contract security's job at the checkpoint to help. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Edited by mking8288

I would like to take our hand luggage with our essentials (just in case the airline loses the big one) and one large suitcase. I hate to think what we'd do if it went astray so I'd prefer to keep it with us.
If the suitcase makes it all the way from your home to the departure port with you, there is very little additional risk if you give it to the porters to load onto the ship. Yes, there are horror stories about luggage getting lost or stolen or dropped into the sea at that point, but the chances of any of that happening are too small to worry about IMO.

Anyway, you can try to carry on all of your bags. The porters won't stop you, but the security people at the terminal might. So have a luggage tag ready just in case you have to exit the terminal and check the largest bag after all.