Carinthia Lounge question

Sheltieluv

Hi all. On our upcoming TA we will be restricted to the Carinthia Lounge on formal nights as we won't have black tie attire with us. (We understand the dress code and have no problem following it.)

Can anyone tell me about the entertainment in the evenings? Does it vary from night to night?

Thanks so much!

I was on the sailings immediately post-refit and the entertainment varied night to night. There was no particular performer or group who was regularly scheduled to be there as is the case for the Commodore Club or Chart Room. There might be a harpist/vocalist, a pianist, or a RADA performance. One evening a performance just never happened as only two or three people were in the Lounge. But the operation was new and it had not yet found its place into anybody's on board routine.

DH will be in a nice tweed sport coat and dress slacks. I will dress in nice black pants and a glitzy top. I have read that we would not be allowed in other areas of the ship on formal night out of respect for staff and fellow passengers. Of course we would like to be able to visit other bars, but we don't want to offend anyone or cross the line. (I am actually feeling a bit of trepidation rather than excitement about the whole experience, feeling that we will be the country bumpkins on board.....:()

Well, I'm ready to be shot down by other posters but I've certainly seen passengers dressed as you've described and not looking terribly out of place. TA is my favourite of all Cunard voyages and my first one was a real treat. You will have a fabulous time and fit in just fine. Lots of country bumpkins as well as townies and city swingers. Enjoy!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Thanks, Philsmum! We usually cruise on Regent and feel very happy and comfortable on board. However, their dress code is much less formal, (no black tie required but nice casually elegant clothing is required). The Cunard experience will be different in that aspect, plus being the largest ship we've ever been on. If we don't "fit in," then we'll just chalk it up as one tiny speed bump on our journey in life.:)

Thanks, Host Hattie. Maybe I can convince him to take his dark navy sport coat instead to comply. (He wants to take the heavier tweed sport coat as he thought he could wear it in Ireland for warmth, where we will spend two weeks after leaving London.) If not, then spending formal nights in the Corinthia Lounge for a few hours will be ok. That's why I was asking about the entertainment in the Lounge. Packing a tie is certainly not an issue at all.

My husband wears a dark navy blazer and either grey or black pants a white shirt and a regular tie for formal nights we have eaten in the Britannia on formal nights, dark pants , and we have never been "looked at". We go to the shows and quite often there are people there in shirtsleeves.

As you can see we have been on Cunard quite a few times. I can assure you, you will not stand out.

Last year I saw someone with a backpack on all the time, thats why he stood out, and I noticed he seemed to be in the same clothes everytime I saw him and very scruffy, and they did not thow him over the side:)

Honestly its like a small town there are all sorts there, Enjoy. We will next week

Pack him a sweater to wear under the dark jacket for Ireland and you will be all set

Edited by electra2008

Over and over again, this! Cunard clearly states nightly dress code requests. For men on formal night a tuxedo or dark suit is requested. It is code throughout the ship after six pm. It is requested passengers not dressing so only use the King's Court buffet and the Carinthia Lounge, and not roam the ship, the bars, clubs and shows. Requested. No matter, every voyage there'll always be some, thankfully a few, w/o jackets on in any color, in shirtsleeves, shorts, even, oblivious to code requests. So far I've not seen anyone challenged.

I think the whole idea of the Cunard dress code is to maintain the ambiance and elegance of the bygone era of first class steamship travel. Watch the film Titanic and you will see what I mean. Most passengers who travel on Cunard either want to take part in that kind of formal experience or tolerate it out of respect for others who do enjoy participating in the re-creation of an era.

Celebrity had the same dress code on formal nights, but recently replaced formal nights with Chic nights. On Chic nights, one sees men dressed anywhere from shirtsleeves to tuxes.

I think if Cunard relaxes the dress code further, it will have less to distinguish itself from other lines. I admit that it does get a bit tiring after a while to dress up, but when I book on Cunard, I sign up for that. When I go on Celebrity, I don't, and instead wear a sport jacket and nice polo shirt on Chic nights.

Edited by emileg

Hi all. On our upcoming TA we will be restricted to the Carinthia Lounge on formal nights as we won't have black tie attire with us. (We understand the dress code and have no problem following it.)

Can anyone tell me about the entertainment in the evenings? Does it vary from night to night?

Thanks so much!

eroller has kindly posted the daily programmes from a recent crossing here. This will give you an idea of the type of activities in the Carinthia Lounge.

Have a great crossing.

Just want to thank everyone for your very helpful comments and advice. I very much appreciate it! Although we won't be in formal attire, I do hope to catch a glimpse of some passengers in their finery on formal nights. Guess I'm a Downton Abbey girl at heart. :)

My husband enjoys wearing his tux; he says it is his most comfortable suit. I certainly would not be offended to have your husband at our table, wearing a jacket and tie and dress trousers. What you described for you is perfectly fine (so long as we look dressy, women have far more options then men). We once had someone at our table in a white tux with sparkly stuff all over it, rather reminded me of a pearly king. THAT was offensive, (but then, so was he) and no one asked him to leave! Please, enjoy every bit of the crossing that appeals to you; it is a wonderful experience.

Just want to thank everyone for your very helpful comments and advice. I very much appreciate it! Although we won't be in formal attire, I do hope to catch a glimpse of some passengers in their finery on formal nights. Guess I'm a Downton Abbey girl at heart. :)

Over and over again, this! Cunard clearly states nightly dress code requests. For men on formal night a tuxedo or dark suit is requested. It is code throughout the ship after six pm. It is requested passengers not dressing so only use the King's Court buffet and the Carinthia Lounge, and not roam the ship, the bars, clubs and shows. Requested. No matter, every voyage there'll always be some, thankfully a few, w/o jackets on in any color, in shirtsleeves, shorts, even, oblivious to code requests. So far I've not seen anyone challenged.

Just recently noticed guy in Britannia Restaurant, at a table for six, wearing dark Jeans and open neck shirt He had his light coloured jacket over the chair whilst eating on a formal night. All the other guests at his table were correctly dressed and attired, He Passed the restaurant manager several times as he left and returned to his table.

Edited by Pennbank

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, we women certainly do have more latitude in dressy attire. A piece of jewelry can change the whole look of an outfit, and takes up no space in the suitcase!

As for the gentleman in the "sparkles," a vision of the late, great entertainer Liberace came to mind. (No offense to Mr. Liberace intended). :) Based on what I've read here on CC, I guess we'll see all modes of dress.

Thank you for your kind words. Yes, we women certainly do have more latitude in dressy attire. A piece of jewelry can change the whole look of an outfit, and takes up no space in the suitcase!

As for the gentleman in the "sparkles," a vision of the late, great entertainer Liberace came to mind. (No offense to Mr. Liberace intended). :) Based on what I've read here on CC, I guess we'll see all modes of dress.

I thought Liberace or maybe Elvis?