An NCL Sun Experience: 22nd August to 5th Sept

AquaMarineFerret

By the time I get this posted, it will be rather too late to be anything more than an approximate guide as to what NCL Sun passengers might expect in the summer of 2017. After all, the Sun departs from Vancouver for San Diego on 26th September and the nearest equivalent to our back-to-back sailed days ago. I considered it to be a bit self-indulgent to narrate our experiences when the topic is so well covered already. Yet I have been encouraged to submit, so here goes... here's Part 1.

We booked our 2 week cruise up and down the Alaskan coast via our holiday ownership club, 'spending' a fair chunk of our annual points allowance instead of 'cash'. NCL is an affiliate of our club. The reason we came to be on this cruise at all was down to a long-running club membership gripe that cruises were always too difficult to book - blink and you miss 'em! So, when I read my emails one morning over breakfast and saw one from the club advertising that there were NCL cruises available, I simply had to take a closer look.

Most were of no interest, either offering destinations I didn't fancy or dates we couldn't make. However, I suddenly spotted the Alaskan cruises and right there I was hooked. Both my wife and I have wondered about visiting Alaska but never really done anything about it, considering it impractical and out of our price range (although maybe a touch more 'homework' could have scotched that?) Be that as it may, having rather generously alerted the membership forum to the opportunity and looked at the schedules, itinerary and points cost several times during the day, I dropped my wife a line to see if she fancied a cruise (our first) up/down the coast of Alaska. "Will there be husky puppies?" Huh? Yes, that was pretty much the first question, but I could tell I was onto a winner, particularly if I took a gamble and said: "Yes, of course dear!"

So, that's how it came about that I placed a reservation in February 2016 for an Alaskan cruise with NCL aboard the Sun in late August 2016.

I won't bore you with the full saga of actually fixing a date or the changes from one week to two and then re-booking in reverse order to suit better flights and...oh, how I stressed over whether the reservations would be snapped up before we got our act together! But the oft complained about difficulty in booking never came about and we ended up with two weeks, starting in Vancouver on 22nd August and returning to Vancouver on 5th September, with a couple of days in Vancouver tacked onto the front for good measure so that we could relax after the flight, enjoy the city and not worry over delays should we be flying in on the day of cruise departure.

Of course, February to August is a very long time. That's time enough to plan. It's time enough to agonise over which shore excursions to do and wish that the lottery or premium bonds will be kind. It's time enough for World Affairs and other things to change. We knew from the outset that this would be the kind of holiday we would only commit to every few years. OK, so we hadn't paid money for the cruise itself, but that also meant we didn't get those nice special offers and incentives. It also meant a basic inside cabin (stateroom is really rather too grand a word, no matter how comfy and cozy the accommodation might be) and two weeks of cruise was not going to be something we would be likely to afford to upgrade on top of flights, spending money, excursions, service charges, etc. We decided that the important thing was Alaska: that was what the holiday was all about and experiencing it was where the money would go (mostly). So I spent hours poring over the NCL offerings and then the choices offered by an independent agent. In the end, I chose to go independent. The excursions were that bit different, that bit more 'exclusive', that bit...cheaper. And there were still guarantees underwriting our trips. When all was said and done, after due consultation, I purchased over $2000 worth: 6 excursions out of 8 shore visits. UBP? You have to be kidding!

Then came the Brexit Referendum. It was never on my radar (maybe it should have been) when I booked in February. I could still have backed out more than 60 days in advance of the cruise without penalty, but then be faced with organising something else at short notice(and spookily the 60 day window ended on the actual day of the vote - once the result was announced it was too late anyway!) However, who expected Britain to actually vote to leave the EU? I mean, we like to moan about it, but who really believed it would happen? Even so, as the day approached, staring me menacingly in the eyes, I blinked. The media frenzy began to make me wonder - should I gamble? About 10 days ahead of the vote I pressed the button on those excursions and also the daily service charge. If I had known I would have held out to the week of the vote, when our currency rates actually climbed, but even so I am glad I took the plunge because that's what the £ sterling did after we voted 'out'. I wish I had purchased our $ spending money before the vote too! Still, at least I took the worst of the sting out of our expenditure.

Of course, after that, we had 'Watergate' when NCL announced the change in their soda and water policy and I first became aware of the undercurrent of dissatisfaction on CC regarding the direction NCL was going with FDR at the helm. Then we had the Sewers Crisis with reports of odious odours of ordure in exactly the part of the ship we would be occupying for two weeks. And then, to cap it all, through CC I discovered that since the refit, with little warning from NCL, the Sun was no longer sticking to the published itinerary. Oh joy! What kind of cruise was this going to be? Not only did it seem that NCL would be extracting funds from us at every opportunity, but we would be living next to the sewerage farm and, should we get off the ship, we wouldn't necessarily be in the right port and on the excursion we had purchased in advance! I must admit that two weeks by the pool on Lanzarote reading books about Alaska on my Kindle was beginning to look pretty darned attractive!

Fortunately, as it turned out, I need not have worried quite so much...

We flew into Vancouver on the morning of Saturday 20th August with the aim of taking a two night stay in the city before embarkation. This gave us time to see something of Vancouver as well as relieve any pressure and stress due to flights on the day of cruise departure. I opted for the Skytrain transit to the Waterfront terminus, avoiding traffic and getting us to within a couple of blocks of the Visitor/Tourist centre and the Vancouver Trolley Bus Co. a stone's throw from Canada Place. Here we purchased a ticket package for two day's 'hop on, hop off' travel on the trolley city tour, entry to the Vancouver Aquarium and tickets for the Stanley Park horse-drawn tours. It meant that we could board a trolley tour at Canada Place (with our luggage), enjoy part of the tour before booking into our West End hotel, and then continue the tour at our leisure that day or on the Sunday. We recommend the tour but advise you to take note of the last departure times for the day which are late afternoon rather than evening.

So, following a fairly brief taster of what Vancouver has to offer, we headed to Canada Place on Monday morning to get our bags checked in. Before 10.30am the area was already thronging with tourists and, when we finally lugged our bags down to the bowels of the complex, there was a huge queue to drop luggage off Aaaargh! But then we realised the queue was probably for the leaving of luggage while you gad about Vancouver – the drop-off for checked luggage was nearby and done in 5 minutes! So, ask one of the friendly stewards as soon as you get there, it will save you a loooooong wait!

With our luggage disposed of, and not actually anticipating check-in until 12 Noon, we took ourselves off to enjoy the sights and sites of the Waterfront area for a couple of hours before returning to a surprisingly speedy check-in process. It helped that the only other ship in port was the Disney Wonder(?) Check-in was easy and friendly. The huge hall seemed overkill, but at busy periods it must be hell. Before we knew it we were heading toward the gangway and a brave new world... (TBC)

Can't wait to read you review of the sun as we are on her on 14 October. We had our original cruise with them cancelled and the whole itinerary changed. We also embark and disembark at different destination but hey ho we went with it, I'm just hoping it was all worth the hassle.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I too cruised with you those two weeks. I had a fantastic time in all the ports ( in the bars drinking Alaskan Amber), meeting the locals and just letting my imagination get the best of me walking the towns. But some of the best times of the cruise was hooking up with CC members and sharing our experiences. I may talk a lot but I still learn new things when I do listen. Looking forward to your review and reliving my cruise through the eyes of another critic. I am that crazy old man.

...that has such people in't. We found ourselves being greeted by smiling faces atop smart uniforms in the kind of environment that promised comfort and service to make us smile. The first order of business before exploring further was to visit the conveniently placed Viva Vino stall in the Atrium: $196 plus 18% gratuity and we were off and running with eight bottles to accompany our evening meals for the coming week. Sorted!

Taking advice from CC members, we explored and gradually headed toward the Seven Seas MDR where we enjoyed a very civilised lunch (and, having seen and experienced the buffet later, were glad we did!) The friendly staff were able to help organise a gluten free meal for my celiac wife and we had a useful conversation with the restaurant management about regular liaison to provide gluten free meals during our cruise.

Then it was up to the top deck by the pool to sun ourselves while we waited for our room to be ready and for the much anticipated mandatory emergency drill. Having taken to heart more CC advice, we had our hand luggage loaded with items for the afternoon but even better, the rooms were released for occupation quite quickly so we swiftly took advantage to change for the pool. As mentioned elsewhere, based on previous conversations on the forum I simply had to wear my Speedos as a gesture of defiance (fortunately for fellow passengers I still possess some semblance of my racing snake years and hopefully didn't present too horrific a picture!) We had the pool to ourselves as the ship gradually took on its complement of guests, but underwent a grilling from a range of visitors who wanted to know: was it was cold, was it warm, was it heated, was it salt or fresh? Well, it was salty and it was just right! No way I would have been in there if it was any more (less?) than cool and pleasant. Great for a few lengths and getting the kinks out of those muscles.

At 3pm, following the PA warning, we made our way back to the cabin to change for the safety drill at 3.30pm. Interestingly, I would estimate that the vast majority of passengers made their way with plenty of time to spare to their respective stations (a word to the wise: your station is on Deck 6 and your letter of the alphabet is boldly displayed on your key-card). Of course, a minority turned up AT or after 3.30pm whereupon the brief safety talk was completed and we were ready to sail. Er, excuse me? We were ready to sail at 4pm! That's 4pm folks! Erm, has anyone told the chaps on the dock? Apparently not. So 4pm came and went...and the poolside BBQ was under preparation and we were ALL awaiting that special moment when we cast off from Canada Place and our voyage would begin. Well, it took a while!

However, eventually, much later than we had expected, we moved away, almost imperceptibly, from the wharf with little in the way of real fanfare or crowds waving us off. But it was a good feeling. Anticipation of our new experience was high as the Sun steadily got underway, making its way across the water, giving us a fine view of Vancouver, its skyline and the surrounding area. A perfect afternoon, weather-wise added to the moment as we passed under the Lion's Gate bridge and beyond, the late afternoon sun glittering on the water and promising a fine evening and, with luck, a good sea day to follow.

I dragged myself reluctantly away from our progress through the scenic first stages of the Inner Passage for our first evening meal. It was good to find that the Viva Vino system was up and running: we handed over our first token and soon had a bottle of our wine to accompany a tasty meal served with a smile and charm plus the added bonus of beautiful scenery passing by the dining room window - gorgeous! What a lovely start to our cruise!

By the time we had finished the meal it was too dark to fully appreciate the scenery, so we enjoyed a last glass of wine in the bar and headed to our room for an early night.

Oh, the stateroom? A cosy little nook to lay our heads. Comfortable and, for the two of us, perfectly spacious. No odours to upset us. So, it was inside with only the 'bridgecam' channel to show us what was going on outside, but for us it was 'home' . For us it was a wardrobe, a bed and somewhere to shower and make ourselves presentable. The rest of the ship and Alaska was where the real cruise was taking place! We quickly unpacked our modest things, stored them away in the drawers and such, and easily popped our empty cases under the bed. The bed was comfortable and, strangely, the air conditioning created sufficient white noise to lull us to sleep. We found that we really didn't need the duvet for our trip. The shower was spot on – good temperature and power. We didn't have any problems with the curtain wrapping itself around us. My only criticism is two-fold: the toilet flush is noisy and the bathroom light is bright when used in the middle of the night – surely it is not beyond the wit of man to address this?

No towel animal on the first evening, but maybe that was expecting too much; at least we had our very first 'daily' to peruse: so much happening aboard during the first sea day. But that was all to come and we were tired (and happy)...

I too cruised with you those two weeks. I had a fantastic time in all the ports ( in the bars drinking Alaskan Amber), meeting the locals and just letting my imagination get the best of me walking the towns. But some of the best times of the cruise was hooking up with CC members and sharing our experiences. I may talk a lot but I still learn new things when I do listen. Looking forward to your review and reliving my cruise through the eyes of another critic. I am that crazy old man.

Aaaah, that Alaskan Amber! Yum! :) I know what you mean about walking the towns (appreciating the history) and meeting folk. By nature I am not outgoing and gregarious, but occasionally really enjoyed having a chat with my fellow cruisers and the people of Alaska. What an experience! :)

We were on the Sun from 5-12 September. It was a great cruise in an aft balcony. That is the way to go for Alaska.

This was our best NCL cruise. NCL has upgraded its food and service.

My review to follow.

Go for it! No matter what your own experience, reading someone else's seems to add to it...assuming it's similarly good (or bad) ;)

We loved ours (warts and all).

We were on the Sun from 5-12 September. It was a great cruise in an aft balcony. That is the way to go for Alaska.

This was our best NCL cruise. NCL has upgraded its food and service.

My review to follow.

I have an aft balcony on the Sun booked for next June – can't wait to hear about your experiences. What was your stateroom number?

I have an aft balcony on the Sun booked for next June – can't wait to hear about your experiences. What was your stateroom number?

We were in 9277 an aft balcony slightly on starboard side. An aft is the way to go cruising Alaska. The aft part of the ship is the only part that doesn't have the cold wind. Many people go to the aft deck next to the buffet and it is hard there is stake out a good spot. With an aft you can stay on your balcony (still dress for cold) and with no wind it is manageable, while if you are exposed to the wind, it is just too chilly.

We were in 9277 an aft balcony slightly on starboard side. An aft is the way to go cruising Alaska. The aft part of the ship is the only part that doesn't have the cold wind. Many people go to the aft deck next to the buffet and it is hard there is stake out a good spot. With an aft you can stay on your balcony (still dress for cold) and with no wind it is manageable, while if you are exposed to the wind, it is just too chilly.

That's the stateroom I have booked! I'd love to ask you some questions but don't want to hijack this thread. Could you email me at cathyem@aol.com, or would you rather I wait until you post your review? TIA!

You sir, are an excellent writer. Thanks for sharing your review/travelogue.

Thank you - kind of you to say so. I still feel somewhat self-indulgent and seemingly smug posting this (but the credit card bill hasn't landed yet!)

Based on the fact that I have yet to finish my Day Two write-up of a two-week holiday, I think I will be taking pity on you folks with an abridged version.

Just count yourselves lucky I'm not including over 4000 photos! :eek:

Yours

AMF

PS Feel free to jump in with those snippets about your own experiences: this is a forum not a monologue! ;)

Loving your review. I had forgot about the ship leaving 1 hr late ! Wonder what the reason was ?

I take the little battery operated tea lights for the bathroom. Gives it just enough light.

Beth, you're a genius! :)

I also was bothered at night by the very bright bathroom light. I always have a little night light in my travel bag for this reason. But the ship we just recently sailed on did not have any US style outlets in the bathroom so I wasn't able to use it. It never occurred to me to pack a tea light. This is a great tip!

Thank you - kind of you to say so. I still feel somewhat self-indulgent and seemingly smug posting this (but the credit card bill hasn't landed yet!)

Based on the fact that I have yet to finish my Day Two write-up of a two-week holiday, I think I will be taking pity on you folks with an abridged version.

Just count yourselves lucky I'm not including over 4000 photos! :eek:

Yours

AMF

PS Feel free to jump in with those snippets about your own experiences: this is a forum not a monologue! ;)

Please keep it coming! We just booked the Sun and have never sailed with Norwegian so I'm enjoying your thorough review. I'd even enjoy the photos! Well... maybe not 4000 of them. :D