staggered check-in

tngirl1stcruise12

ok, so i looked today and realized that carnival has started the stupidest thing ever and I'm pissed over it. this is only my 2nd cruise and my last and first was 4yrs ago. i got to port around 10am and was on board very early. has anyone actually sailed with carnival since this new check in has started? will you be turned away or is it a bunch of crap?

ok, so i looked today and realized that carnival has started the stupidest thing ever and I'm pissed over it. this is only my 2nd cruise and my last and first was 4yrs ago. i got to port around 10am and was on board very early. has anyone actually sailed with carnival since this new check in has started? will you be turned away or is it a bunch of crap?

Considering they started this quite some time ago, and thousands of people sail Carnival every week, I would say people have gone through the new check in.

And yes, you will be turned away.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Forums mobile app

Edited by jh2360

Carnival started implementing staggered check in times almost a year ago in Galveston. It's in more ports now but not all of them. Thousands of people have experienced it by now. If you want to check in early then pick one of the earliest check in times. Check in time is not the same as boarding time. If you arrive at the terminal before your check in time they will ask you to come back at your check in time. If you're late you will be let in the terminal. Diamond, platinum, and faster to the fun passengers still choose a time but can show up whenever.

If the port you're sailing out of hasn't implemented it there yet then you don't need to choose a time. They have a list on their website.

It's really very simple.

Actually it's a very smart idea....thins the herd so it spreads out the boarding process, making it flow easier....don't get upset if you aren't a "FIRSTIE", the buffet and bars will still be there when you get on

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by First and Ten

***** check In time is NOT same as boarding time******

Why stand in the sun or rain, when you can sit in the air condition?!

Select earliest check in time that you can get. Show up about 45 minutes LATER than time selected, and you will be able to walk right past those standing (possibly in sun/rain) in line, and go right to check in. Then you get to sit and wait until they call your boarding zone in the air condition.

Select earliest check in time that you can get. Show up about 45 minutes LATER than time selected, and you will be able to walk right past those standing (possibly in sun/rain) in line, and go right to check in. Then you get to sit and wait until they call your boarding zone in the air condition.

Why would you show up after the time you picked when you can do the same thing AT the time you picked? That's the whole point of choosing a time. As long as you aren't any EARLIER than your window, you get to go into the terminal and check in. Boarding is different.

So Faster to the fun still can get on early? I hope so last cruise I got on at 1130, I was planning on getting there at that time again

With Staggered Check In, you can arrive as early as the earliest time there is no matter which one you pick if you are Diamond. Platinum, FTTF, Suites, or have a Carnival transfer from the airport. You then go into the terminal, check in, and wait to board.

Boarding works the same as it always has - Wedding Parties, Diamond, Platinum, Suites, FTTF, general boarding. What time they start depends on a variety of factors.

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3180/~/staggered-check-in

Why would you show up after the time you picked when you can do the same thing AT the time you picked? That's the whole point of choosing a time. As long as you aren't any EARLIER than your window, you get to go into the terminal and check in. Boarding is different.

Sorry, I thought I explained it fairly well.

You show up after, so you don't have to stand in line. Showing up exactly on time means someone will still be STANDING AND WAITING OUTSIDE IN THE SUN/RAIN.

Let's assume 100 people select 11am check in. you still must WAIT in line to get into the terminal, which is where check in is located. Not everyone can get in at the exact time they selected.

Select 11am with all other 99 people, show up at 11:30, and walk right in. NO WAITING.

You show up after, so you don't have to stand in line. Showing up exactly on time means someone will still be STANDING AND WAITING OUTSIDE IN THE SUN/RAIN.

Let's assume 100 people select 11am check in. you still must WAIT in line to get into the terminal, which is where check in is located. Not everyone can get in at the exact time they selected.

Select 11am with all other 99 people, show up at 11:30, and walk right in. NO WAITING.

Well not really. You'll be in line with all the 11:30 people. The lines go very quickly from what I've heard when everyone shows up at the time they are supposed to. They only look at your boarding pass at the door to make sure you're there at the right time then you go directly in. At least that's what others are reporting. I'll find out soon for myself.

You can get your BVD's in a wad but vast majority of us that have traveled since it's implementation have found it decrease the wait time for everyone.

It began in Galveston in November of last year and I sailed in December. The line outside was crazy long because apparently many cruisers couldn't read , "you will not be allowed into the terminal until your check in time"

By March when I dropped DD off for her cruise it was much better. She said it was great to not have to face those long lines everywhere.

We sailed out of Miami and while getting into the building and checked in went very smooth WITH THE NEW SYSTEM the waiting inside the terminal was a zoo. Ship was late, some sort of inspection and more then the normal number Diamond and Platinum cruisers.

Like it or not it is here to stay. Don't be so negative for something you haven't experienced yet.

Not sure why you're so down on it and you haven't even tried it yet. Besides, you've cruised once so you have no idea if the idea was necessary or not. It's been going on a while now, so a ton of people have checked in with this system. Not very many complaints. And no it's not a bunch of crap. Show up early and you will have to wait.

Well not really. You'll be in line with all the 11:30 people. The lines go very quickly from what I've heard when everyone shows up at the time they are supposed to. They only look at your boarding pass at the door to make sure you're there at the right time then you go directly in. At least that's what others are reporting. I'll find out soon for myself.

We cruised on August 28 out of NOLA. Showed up 30 minutes after selected time. The lines were the entire length of the terminal....2--3 blocks....in the heat and humidity of NOLA. We walked right to front of the line, they sent us right up the escalators to check in, immediately got our S&S cards, then had a seat to await our boarding zone to be called, which took about 15-20 minutes.

It actually took longer to walk up the winding gangway and get on board.

We cruised on August 28 out of NOLA. Showed up 30 minutes after selected time. The lines were the entire length of the terminal....2--3 blocks....in the heat and humidity of NOLA. We walked right to front of the line, they sent us right up the escalators to check in, immediately got our S&S cards, then had a seat to await our boarding zone to be called, which took about 15-20 minutes.

It actually took longer to walk up the winding gangway and get on board.

Could be possible that there were many people that didn't heed the warning not to show up early and that's what the line was. Anyway, I'll be arriving at my 10:30AM time.

The only time I have went out of NOLA was my very first cruise in 2003 and it was just a warehouse so I have no idea what it's like there now. Miami is my port of choice and from all the reports I have seen, they don't have a wait outside when people arrive when they are supposed to. The area inside is rather large so there's no need to wait in the elements if you don't arrive early. I look forward to testing it out next month.

In Long Beach everyone waits outside until the Dome doors open, whether you've checked in or not. No matter be can enter until everyone is cleared thru.

To the OP: Yeah, they started this crap about a year ago. It's totally ridiculous they should try to control passenger crowding by not allowing everyone to show up at 10:00 with the hopes of getting on board as early as possible. Sucks big time. I recommended you cancel because it's a colossal failure that will ruin your trip.

OK, Dollface. Here's a newsflash. When you show up after your assigned check in time, you go to the back of the line for check in, not the front of it (unless you have priority status that allows you to do so anyway). If you think they'll say "Hey, this chick has a 10:30 check in time and now it's 11:15.... everyone step aside and let her ahead of you.".

It doesn't work that way and there's no way in heck it should.

Edited by StolidCruiser

So your pissed over something you haven't even experienced? Ok

It's a good system and most seem to like it. Yes you will be turned away and not allowed in the terminal until your check in time. This prevents thousands of people crowding the terminal.

Pick an early check in time. Simple. But even with an early check in time that doesn't mean you won't still be sitting around waiting to board.

Last cruise I picked the 10am time slot, planning to be there right at 10. However, we hit a little traffic and ended up walking up to the terminal at 10:25am. I feel like coming at that time was perfect because they weren't letting the 10:30 people on yet but when they saw we were 10am we breezed right through.

If we had arrived at 10:45am though, we would have just stayed in line with the 10:30 group.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hey guys, this is only my second Carnival cruise and the first time getting an email about staggered check in. How were you guys able to select the time for your check in? Is there a way to change it? I'm leaving out of Port Canaveral on 9/24 on the Magic. If anyone can help with this I'd be super appreciative!

Hey guys, this is only my second Carnival cruise and the first time getting an email about staggered check in. How were you guys able to select the time for your check in? Is there a way to change it? I'm leaving out of Port Canaveral on 9/24 on the Magic. If anyone can help with this I'd be super appreciative!

It's under your online check-in. There's a tab to the left

c6a486fb9fe1c1bc1eef5c3f7c725adc.jpg