Help! Minisuite or balacony on Tahitian Princess

harleylover

We had a mini suite on the TP and friend had a balcony cabin. The mini was close to twice the size with a nice sized balcony. I would definitely upgrade for that price. I mean, how many times will you visit Tahiti? You want these memories to be fantastic so I would get the better cabin. Definitely worth the price difference after seeing both staterooms.

Don't care to quibble, but minis are 1.5 times larger, not twice as big. (322 sqft for minis, 216 for standard balcony).

Only downside to the minis is being under the pool deck - and sometimes in the early AM, the crew tends to be a bit noisy moving the tables and chairs, when hosing down the decks.

One thing nice about the Balcony cabins on the TP is they do have a small sofa(2 seat)......I think it depends how much time you spend in your cabin...and if you like a larger bath...my husband is 6"3" and I am 5'6" and really for the time we spend in our cabin a balcony was just find.. we were a BB Cat on the TP in Aug.

If I were you, I would definitely upgrade to the Mini. We booked a verandah a couple of years ago. My sister happened to do the T.P. cruise before us and she was upgraded from a verandah to a mini because her cabin did not have the 2 seater lounge in it and there was no way that the crew were able to put one in. Just not enough room for the lounge to fit through the doors!

Anyhow her sailing must not have been full and she got the mini. After her cruise we tried to change our booking but the ship was full. I looked at the mini and if we went again we would definitely go for the bigger cabin.

Jennie

Thanks to all for the advice. Really our only hesitation on upgrading is the fact that on TP, cabin #8047 is right next to the elevators. We are a bit worried about noise...any comments there? We would gladly pay the additional for the exta space and newer mattress, bedding etc. as long as the noise wouldn't be a factor.

I have a chance to upgrade from Rm#6076 (BD) to Mini suite #8047 on the Tahitian Princess. The cost is $900. Can anyone give me info as if the amenities and space are worth the $$? Thank you!

We were in 8038 the last time we were on the TP and the only time we heard any noise was when we were sitting on the balcony and the music was heard but not loud. We didn't hear anything inside the cabin. The minis are nicer because they have a refrigerator and the regular balcony cabins don't have them.

We were in 8038 the last time we were on the TP and the only time we heard any noise was when we were sitting on the balcony and the music was heard but not loud. We didn't hear anything inside the cabin. The minis are nicer because they have a refrigerator and the regular balcony cabins don't have them.

Actually, they added fridges to the balcony cabins a few months back. I hear it cuts into the storage space in the cabin.

I think it would depend on the cost. We also looked at the minis but on our sailing they're about $800 per person more than the balcony cabins. We felt that was too much money for us to spend for the extra space and the tub.

• 1 month later...

More questions on the mini cabin vs a balcony on the Tahitian Princess:

1) did you find that the cigarette smoke was a problem from the pool deck when you were out on your balcony?

2) Did others notice much noise in the morning (or other times) with tables and chairs being moved around? Nothing worse than being waken by this type of noise while in Tahiti

3) It seems like the extras for the mini, besides space, are very limited. Unlike others ships, they don't include internet access, but do include early embarkation/debarkation. Any others?

In my mind, being near the elevator is a plus. We always request a cabin as near to the elevator as possible. We've never had a problem with noise. And it's not like there are going to be lots of kids running the halls going up and down the elevator.

If the extra money isn't a dealbreaker for you, I say go for it. How many times will you cruise Tahiti?

we were on 6055 on the Pacific Princess just last week. It was an excellent room. We had a verandah but spent very little time there anyway. I would rather take this class cabin again (and in fact we have booked the same cabin on a future cruise) and spend the extra $ on something else because it was in an excellent position on the ship. Close to the elevators although we chose to walk up and down the stairs. Gayle

More questions on the mini cabin vs a balcony on the Tahitian Princess:

1) did you find that the cigarette smoke was a problem from the pool deck when you were out on your balcony?

2) Did others notice much noise in the morning (or other times) with tables and chairs being moved around? Nothing worse than being waken by this type of noise while in Tahiti

3) It seems like the extras for the mini, besides space, are very limited. Unlike others ships, they don't include internet access, but do include early embarkation/debarkation. Any others?

Actually, early embarkation/debarkation is not a minisuite perk, just for full suites. Here are the perks for minisuites:

• Complimentary champagne at embarkation
  • Top of the range 'Beautyrest' mattresses
  • Luxury 100% Egyptian cotton, high-thread count ivory satin striped bed linens
  • Fluffy European duvets
  • Pillow menu
  • Massage shower heads
  • Luxury towels

Actually, early embarkation/debarkation is not a minisuite perk, just for full suites. Here are the perks for minisuites:

• Complimentary champagne at embarkation
  • Top of the range 'Beautyrest' mattresses
  • Luxury 100% Egyptian cotton, high-thread count ivory satin striped bed linens
  • Fluffy European duvets
  • Pillow menu
  • Massage shower heads
  • Luxury towels

In October the only added amenities in the minisuites were complimentary champagne at embarkation which is actually around 4:30 PM. The others were not available. Head of Passenger services said it would be awhile before they got to the Tahitian Princess.

Early embarkation/debarkation--it really doesn't matter what room you are in. I wouldn't go real early because you will have to stand in the heat. Remember everyone is staying in their cabins til the last moment it seems since they will be spending all day on the ship. Debarkation-you can leave anytime. Just let pursers office know so you get the correct tags for your baggage so you know where to find your bags. They do not honor priority tender whether elite or suites. Having said that I have watched for sailing where the mini's run $14??.?? to $15??.?? base fair which with taxes will be around $18??.?? or so. I feel that it is worth that much for us. On other ships it is not a big deal for a mini-suite. I agree with Toto that the mini does seem like twice the space and even people from the balconies have commented that the room seemed more than twice the size of the balcony. It may be the layout. Be advised that the balcony is not very deep. A lounger and two chairs and little table are really crowded. If you dive a mini is good. You can soak your gear in the tub. For 10 days and food included, this is a real bargain compared to any land package in Tahiti. The first time we were mini port side several doors down from elevators.(B2B) and Oct we were 8001. No complaints except 8001 had the base from the boombox in the health club. Other people thought it was from the treadmills but it was too constant and when I went up to check it out it was the beat from the boombox. I told them that the beat was heard in my room and suggested the find a way to have the boombox in another location or maybe up off the floor. Anyway the rest of the trip I did not hear it. I know if we go again we will get another mini.

When we sailed on the Tahitian in 2004, we did board early around 11.45am and went straight on. We had been staying at Le Meridien and as we had to vacate our room there around 11am we decided to go straight to the ship.

We went up to the buffet and had lunch and then went straight into our cabin. On the day that we had to disembark, we were allowed to stay in our cabins until 11am and we could leave the ship whenever we wanted to. We had lunch once again on board and left around 1pm. We were returning to Le Meridien and knew that we wouldn't get our room until 2pm.

It is a very civilized way of leaving a wonderful cruise and we would love to return and do the Tahiti-Hawai segment on the Tahitian.

Jennie

Archived