deck plans QM2

Sheltieluv

Hi all. I searched for an answer to the following question but couldn't find anything.

Are there "pocket size"/foldable deck plans available for the taking on QM2? (The "you are here" deck plans are probably posted near the elevators and such, I realize, but I know I'm going to be "directionally challenged" on such a large ship and while the signs will be useful, I'd rather have something in hand.) :p

Thanks!

Hi all. I searched for an answer to the following question but couldn't find anything. Are there "pocket size"/foldable deck plans available for the taking on QM2? (The "you are here" deck plans are probably posted near the elevators and such, I realize, but I know I'm going to be "directionally challenged" on such a large ship and while the signs will be useful, I'd rather have something in hand.) :p Thanks!
Hi Sheltieluv,

On my previous trips there has been a small fold-out side-view diagram of the ship (on one side of the paper) and useful info (on the other).

These were usually in the cabin waiting for passengers, and more recently have been part of a small card folder with a pocket for your room key-card/sign & sail card, handed to you at check-in.

Not been on board recently to know if this is still the case, but I would think so (as they are so useful for first-time passengers).

Please ask if you've further questions, Bon Voyage :)

Edited by pepperrn

Yes the fold out diagrams as described are still provided, recent experience from July. The "you are here diagrams" have been updated since remastering and are liberally spread about the ship at appropriate points.

There is also ship orientation walk led by one of the entertainments team on the first sea day if you are going transatlantic which may be of help. I've never done it but l think it takes in the main public rooms on decks 2 and 3. The time and meeting point are noted in the daily programme

M-AR

Sheltiluv, those fold out maps of the ship are very handy to have on board. I also found that studying the larger deck plans available on line helped me prepare for my initial voyages on QM2. In the weeks before my voyage, it was fun figuring out the best routes from our cabin to various venues using the deck plans that I had printed out from the Cunard website. In case you haven't seen it yet, here's the website for the latest plans: https://www.cunard.com/Documents/2017-18-deck-plans/QM2-deck-plans-2017-18.pdf

Bon voyage!

Salacia

When initially sailing on the QM2, I noticed the carpets were different colors on the four staircases. I hope this is still the case, after the remodeling. It really helped me recognize my location and learn my way around.

I've saved the folding-deck-plans from each sailing. Happy memories!

Have a wonderful voyage, Sheltieluv !!!!

jimmybean, Thank you! I will take note of the carpets. I think maybe I'd better get one of those "lost child" lanyards to hang around my neck. "If found, please return to cabin #...." !:p
My mum, her first time on QM2, proudly told me over pre-dinner drinkies in the Commodore Club* ...

"I went to the Spa today. Found my own way to it, and back to our cabin".

She was very happy as she'd done it without my father's assistance.

(*The unmissable Commodore Club is on Deck 9, forward near the "A" stairs/lifts ;) )

Edited by pepperrn

jimmybean, Thank you! I will take note of the carpets.

I think maybe I'd better get one of those "lost child" lanyards to hang around my neck. "If found, please return to cabin #...." !:p

I think it was our fourth time on the Mary, before DH could find Illuminations without a wrong turn. :) But, learning the ship has been part of the fun for us. So many great nooks and crannies to discover. (Like taking the "outside" elevators when going to the Commodore ---9-forward, as Pepper, helpfully, pointed out).

One of my favorite memories is when I watched Bill Bryson (travel author and speaker on that crossing) make the wrong turn off the elevator, when he was heading for a book signing in the library. We ALL do it (get a little lost) at some point.

Welcome to Cunard and the QM2. You will have a lovely time on the ship.

Jimmybean

Commodore is a great location for reading in the daytime. Drinking is optional (in any of the bars). Enjoy the location (and great views)!
Hi jimmybean,

Do they still place a paper napkin/coaster on the table in front of you when you decline a drink to indicate to other stewards that you've been approached and have said "no thank you" so you're not constantly bothered?

Edited by pepperrn

Hi jimmybean,

Do they still place a paper napkin/coaster on the table in front of you when you decline a drink to indicate to other stewards that you've been approached and have said "no thank you" so you're not constantly bothered?

Yes, now that you mention, Pepper, I do remember that!

Actually, I have been known to--- quietly and inconspicuously--- take my own napkin from the pile, when entering the Commodore, to place at the table, before sitting down to read….

After a while, the ship does start to feel like home :)

(Shame on me! I promise I'll try to reform!)

The different coloured stair carpets on QM2 helped me no end.......As do the different colour port/starboard on QV .

I have lived in my home town for 20 + years and still get confused in the local shopping centre.

The maps are fine if you know which direction the ship is going. I am the person you will see looking out of the window to work out forward and aft .

I certainly have found out much more about the ships by getting 'lost'