Star Princess North to Alaska! Sept 10 2016

Bimmer09

Well I am sorry to see this coming to a close .Alaska was our very first cruise in 2003 on the Island Princess. Your excellent photography and commentary has helped me revisit my memories of that cruise.

I am in anticipation of your next cruise on Celebrity Reflection to the Western Caribbean. Last March we did the Eastern Caribbean on the Silhouette and fell in love with that ship. I did not stumble upon your review of the Silhouette until we had returned , but this time I will read your review of the Reflection before we go.

Your commentary and photography are entertaining a lot of us . Thank youicon14.gif

Great review, Thank you.

What is the earliest they let people get off the ship in Whittier? (it appears that it docks shortly after midnight!) And how did you arrange to depart when you needed to?

We are on the same ship and itinerary next summer, and want to get off as early as possible to head to our next activity in Alaska.

thanks again!

It would have been 7 am as that's when the transportation arrived.

We departed on a Princess Excursion.

You will have a great time!

Thanks for reading. Have you been reading all along or did you binge read?

Cheers!

Norris

Hi Noris,

I am enjoying your review so very much.

I do have a question though, we are taking that same cruise in September 2017 and have an aft suite. You indicated that the ship turns so both sides get to see the glacier. If you are on the back of the ship does it just pass you by or does it stop for a while so those of us at the back can sit on our balcony and enjoy the view? What are your thoughts, should we change cabins? The glaciers are the best part of the cruise for me as we have already been on 3 Alaska cruises.

Your opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Janet

Hi Janet, we only sailed the glaciers once in an aft Penthouse Suite (Diamond P) and we had about 15 minutes of aft glacier time before we left the scene. Up until then I had been on Promenade deck, where the view is stellar. I wouldn't change an aft suite for any reason unless you want to be indoors and warm while you watch-for 45 minutes from a mini suite. We were aft with no obstructions on the Star but I took most of my pics standing on Prom deck. No heads in the way on Prom deck. No blue windscreens.

Thanks for reading this and for the comments and compliments!

Read my Diamond review next! (my favorite Princess ship)

Norris

Goldenpaw - I am not Norris, but the app is called Ship Mate. [emoji6]

Marty

Thanks Marty! I was at work for 14 hours today and couldn't respond. Yes Shipmate.

Norris

Well I am sorry to see this coming to a close .Alaska was our very first cruise in 2003 on the Island Princess. Your excellent photography and commentary has helped me revisit my memories of that cruise.

I am in anticipation of your next cruise on Celebrity Reflection to the Western Caribbean. Last March we did the Eastern Caribbean on the Silhouette and fell in love with that ship. I did not stumble upon your review of the Silhouette until we had returned , but this time I will read your review of the Reflection before we go.

Your commentary and photography are entertaining a lot of us . Thank youicon14.gif

Hi Bones, thanks for reading and coming forward to be recognized.

I'm gratified that the photos and commentary can bring back memories for you.

It's easy to fall in love with the Silhouette-a stunning ship and the reason we are going on the Reflection. Pop in during my X review in January and say hi.

Many thanks for your kind words.

Norris

Was wondering if you used a filter on your lens? If so, what type did you use. Again, thanks so much for taking us all on your journey....it was very kind of you to do this.

Hello again!

I have a pack of 3 Zeikos filters but the one on my most used lens-the 10 to 22mm is a Polarizing filter but I don't mess with it unless shooting into shiny sunny water, so it's really just a lens protector in Alaska.

The zoom I used for the glaciers had no filter attached.

The other filters are a UV and a fluorescent filter but for indoor shooting I change the white balance to the Tungsten setting on the camera -when I remember! I hope to take better food pics on the Reflection and later the Eclipse. I will go bonkers taking pics in Norway (and London)

I use 64 gigabyte Sandisk memory cards-whatever their highest rated ones are called.

I couldn't survive without Adobe Lightroom 5 though. It helps rescue some less than stellar shots. I pay $10 a month for that and Photoshop which I use only for titling at the moment.

I use Flickr to store photos and upload easily to CC. It shows me all the settings I use for each shot.

The videos are prepared through iMovie (which like most Apple products is a beautiful design that makes me gnash my teeth because of its idiosyncrasies ) It can be a handful with a mind of its own.

I use an iPhone 5 which I want to smash with a hammer quite often but it does take good pics.

Thanks for asking-and for continually reading. I'm much obliged.

Norris

Our hallway luggage was gone, not to be seen again until Chicago if I recall correctly.

I just remembered that our luggage was seen again at a Cruise Ship Luggage room in Ted Williams Airport in Anchorage and we collected it and checked it in to United Airlines.

Norris

Norris,

I love pictures of the pool areas at night for some reason. I love sitting out by my pool here in Naples, FL at night and watching the breeze make the light shimmer off the water. After being entertained by you for so long during this journey on The Star, I went rummaging through some photos of our Sapphire RT from Seattle in 2011. I was floored when I remembered the name of the glacier we went dog sledding on in Juneau:

16bbmdk.jpg

I absolutely cracked up and wanted to share this with you. You are even more of a "Star" than you know! :):) I hope you had a good weekend in Michigan and thanks for doing this for all of us. Go Cubbies (although I am a Mets fan, I want them to win).

Thanks,

Trip

Trip, I am aware of the Norris Glacier near Juneau and hope to land on it via helicopter one day and claim it!

When we were on the Star looking at Harvard Glacier, Carol said "It's so beautiful I wish we could take it home with us" but me being practical asked "where would we put it?" We have a big garden area in Michigan but the neighbors might object and with all the add-on luggage fees on Untied Airlines it would cost a fortune just to get it home.

We will make do with a panorama photo pinned inside our freezer and can open the freezer door, dressed appropriately in layers and relive the moment as we drink Irish coffees and hot chocolate.

So you dog sledded on real snow?

We don't have a pool to sit out by at night (sigh) but made many trips to a friend's home in Marco Island and the pool with a lanai was our living room in the evening as we barbecued and ate out there. Magical with the pool lit up from within.

We are off to Michigan in a few hours where it is cold-colder than it was in Alaska. We'll stay at our home there tonight and set off at 5 a.m tomorrow on a 300 mile trip.

Thanks for reading up until the end!

Norris

I've said it before, but I have to repeat myself. Norris, those glacier pictures were amazing!

I'm looking forward to seeing pictures from your wildlife excursion because it sounds like one I would probably choose myself. :D

Nancy, you'll see the wildlife soon!

I am off to the gym in an hour then have to pack when I get home then drive for two hours so may not get to it until early afternoon.

Watch this space!

Norris

The Whittier photos were taken through the bus window

29869487914_af6ab8782d_b.jpg

We were on a big motor coach but there were only 30 of us so Carol and I both had solo seats and I could have my camera bag open next to me.

We had to sit for 20 minutes waiting for a wheelchair passenger to join us and then when she came the bus had to drive in a lazy circle to get the ADA access door facing the kerb. Now the lady was aboard and oddly didn't need the wheelchair on our tour. I was concerned that we wouldn't make the tunnel access in time-there's a mountain blocking the main road in Whittier and there is a long train tunnel through it. There's a 30 minute window for the one way traffic. Miss it and your vehicle waits 30 minutes.

I am twisted in my seat so the pic is angled and my spirit level was in my hand luggage under the bus.

29867968733_ed0b35da7d_b.jpg

29867970383_bb9584b0f5_b.jpg

One last look

29867971933_4b3fcabbcd_b.jpg

We made it through the tunnel after waiting for the last of the incoming traffic to pass and were now in a world of scenic splendor...

As we drive...

29867972983_b4e4c33bdb_b.jpg

29867973773_00d23af0ef_b.jpg

29867974983_e835059a75_b.jpg

29867976293_12fa17421c_b.jpg

Our lady driver, who looks like Pam from CA on this board, tells us we will be stopping at a scenic overlook soon where we can get out for 10 minutes and take pictures. Count me in!

• Like 1

It would have been 7 am as that's when the transportation arrived.

We departed on a Princess Excursion.

You will have a great time!

Thanks for reading. Have you been reading all along or did you binge read?

Cheers!

Norris

thanks. I just happened to run into your post about a week ago when i was searching for something specific, it popped up, so I have read it thru. Very enlightening. I enjoy reading everyone's experiences in particular their excursions. We also are trying to figure out what we want to do in Kanai peninsula area for 2.5 days after getting off in Whitter. And we have a party of 12! I wonder how late you can stay on the ship before being forced off. 9:30?

thanks. I just happened to run into your post about a week ago when i was searching for something specific, it popped up, so I have read it thru. Very enlightening. I enjoy reading everyone's experiences in particular their excursions. We also are trying to figure out what we want to do in Kanai peninsula area for 2.5 days after getting off in Whitter. And we have a party of 12! I wonder how late you can stay on the ship before being forced off. 9:30?

I'd say 9.30 would be doable.

How are you researching things to do on Kenai?

I'll have to surf and see what might lie ahead of you. Scenic beauty is a given.

Cheers!

Norris

I'd say 9.30 would be doable.

How are you researching things to do on Kenai?

I'll have to surf and see what might lie ahead of you. Scenic beauty is a given.

Cheers!

Norris

Yes, thanks, i have researched a LOT about what to do! Right now we are planning on going down to Seward and renting place for 2 nights and have several suggestions for the group to pick from. there seems to be a lot to do there! Our biggest issue is rental cars. Whittier has little to offer and $$$ or a one way. So we may have 2 of the guys shuttle over to ANC and pick up two rd trip minivans there and bring them back to us! Waste of time but might be best option. Trying to find a way to get the rest of us shuttled over to Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center to kill time there while the 2 guys are picking up our cars LOL

Hello again!

I have a pack of 3 Zeikos filters but the one on my most used lens-the 10 to 22mm is a Polarizing filter but I don't mess with it unless shooting into shiny sunny water, so it's really just a lens protector in Alaska.

The zoom I used for the glaciers had no filter attached.

The other filters are a UV and a fluorescent filter but for indoor shooting I change the white balance to the Tungsten setting on the camera -when I remember! I hope to take better food pics on the Reflection and later the Eclipse. I will go bonkers taking pics in Norway (and London)

I use 64 gigabyte Sandisk memory cards-whatever their highest rated ones are called.

I couldn't survive without Adobe Lightroom 5 though. It helps rescue some less than stellar shots. I pay $10 a month for that and Photoshop which I use only for titling at the moment.

I use Flickr to store photos and upload easily to CC. It shows me all the settings I use for each shot.

The videos are prepared through iMovie (which like most Apple products is a beautiful design that makes me gnash my teeth because of its idiosyncrasies ) It can be a handful with a mind of its own.

I use an iPhone 5 which I want to smash with a hammer quite often but it does take good pics.

Thanks for asking-and for continually reading. I'm much obliged.

Norris

Norris, thank you for the information, I greatly appreciate it.

Off the road, we stop at a scenic overlook

29869506604_8bd92dff32_b.jpg

29867978433_d3febf4849_b.jpg

There's a glacier here, seen up in them there mountains which used to come down into the water. Look how far back it has shrunk.

29867980893_f4369c81aa_b.jpg

29869505874_b329a98802_b.jpg

Someday we'll rent a car and explore the accessible Alaska by road...

30500160225_19f45a6de1_b.jpg

We move on and I am back to taking photos through the window

30500172715_5fe75026ee_b.jpg

We are heading for a one hour stop at the Alaskan Wildlife Sanctuary

30500850735_7c4e017968_b.jpg

We have gone in the back way so that our guide can drive us around and give us a taste of what's in store.

30500851505_94ec2de613_b.jpg

The driver is offering a choice-we can get off here or stay on and go to the gift shops where they have bathrooms and walk back. I needed a bathroom break and I didn't care if the walk was 2 miles.

All but 3 of the passengers chose to get off here where the elevated walkway keeps you safe from the bears below.

30384109652_fac1409b0e_b.jpg

30384111522_796b05bb03_b.jpg

My goal lay up ahead in the Sanctuary complex

30384198902_40dfca9378_b.jpg

• Like 1

Someday we'll rent a car and explore the accessible Alaska by road...

Even better than that is to drive up to Alaska on the Alaska Highway. We did that in 1995. What an amazing trip! Of course, you probably don't have the time to do it. We took 5 weeks. Drove the entire length of the Alcan Highway from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks. Then down to Denali National Park and on to Anchorage. From there we went to the Kenai Peninsula, going to both Homer and Seward. After exploring the Kenai we drove onto a flatbed railcar to go through the Whittier Tunnel. This was before they put the road bed down. Then we took the Alaska State Ferry over to Valdez. Heading back, we took the Top of the World Highway to Chicken, Alaska and Dawson City, Yukon. That was an incredible drive above timberline. Dawson City is an amazing town. A must see. Heading south we took the Stewart - Cassiar Highway instead of the Alaska Highway. Another great drive. I know how much you love to take road trips. And this is one of the best there is. Try and do it someday. You won't regret it.

Trip, I am aware of the Norris Glacier near Juneau and hope to land on it via helicopter one day and claim it!

When we were on the Star looking at Harvard Glacier, Carol said "It's so beautiful I wish we could take it home with us" but me being practical asked "where would we put it?" We have a big garden area in Michigan but the neighbors might object and with all the add-on luggage fees on Untied Airlines it would cost a fortune just to get it home.

We will make do with a panorama photo pinned inside our freezer and can open the freezer door, dressed appropriately in layers and relive the moment as we drink Irish coffees and hot chocolate.

So you dog sledded on real snow?

We don't have a pool to sit out by at night (sigh) but made many trips to a friend's home in Marco Island and the pool with a lanai was our living room in the evening as we barbecued and ate out there. Magical with the pool lit up from within.

We are off to Michigan in a few hours where it is cold-colder than it was in Alaska. We'll stay at our home there tonight and set off at 5 a.m tomorrow on a 300 mile trip.

Thanks for reading up until the end!

Norris

Norris,

You should definitely claim your Glacier before someone else does! LOL. We loved the experience. My wife's mother had just passed away and I was looking for any way to cheer her up. It was expensive, but well worth it on many fronts. Prior to your next visit to Marco Island, hit the red button in my signature and let me know you're coming. We'd love to get together to meet you and Carol and swap stories. Thanks again for the wonderful adventure.

Trip:)

Hi Norris,

Thank you so much for responding to my question about the aft suite. I can calm down now. When you take into consideration the 45 minutes looking at a glacier from any cabin on either the port or starboard side verses the whole week in a suite and a walk up on deck for 45 minutes it is a no brainer. Thanks for the slap-up-side the head.

I really do appreciate your wonderful reviews and the time you take to personally answer everyones questions.

Thanks for the heads up about the diamond princess review. I read the whole review and passed on going to the grocery store, there is always tomorrow to grocery shop which I dislike anyway.

Thanks again,

Janet

Thank you, Norris.

What a superlative combination this review is- the beauty of nature in Alaska brought to us courtesy of your commentary and photos.

Enjoying every bit.

Tomorrow morning will be my last read of it for a while as we will go to Rome to be on C. Silhouette for 2 weeks (and try to make it a policy to not have internet while away.)

Still I suppose there are worse ways to miss it for a while.

It will be great to come back to.

Sandra.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Forums mobile app

Even better than that is to drive up to Alaska on the Alaska Highway. We did that in 1995. What an amazing trip! Of course, you probably don't have the time to do it. We took 5 weeks. Drove the entire length of the Alcan Highway from Dawson Creek to Fairbanks. Then down to Denali National Park and on to Anchorage. From there we went to the Kenai Peninsula, going to both Homer and Seward. After exploring the Kenai we drove onto a flatbed railcar to go through the Whittier Tunnel. This was before they put the road bed down. Then we took the Alaska State Ferry over to Valdez. Heading back, we took the Top of the World Highway to Chicken, Alaska and Dawson City, Yukon. That was an incredible drive above timberline. Dawson City is an amazing town. A must see. Heading south we took the Stewart - Cassiar Highway instead of the Alaska Highway. Another great drive. I know how much you love to take road trips. And this is one of the best there is. Try and do it someday. You won't regret it.

What an adventure! Where was your starting point and what sort of vehicle did you drive? Was it an RV?

You are right that the 5 weeks is the killer for us as long as we have our cat.

I'll check out Dawson City via Google images.

I love what I've seen in the State of Washington. From Seattle where we have attended the opera I drove to Mount St Helens and also took a day drive out to Dungeness. While visiting Vancouver I drove down to Bellingham to go skiing on Mt Baker. I have a Rand McNally road atlas and will check out those places you have been.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me about your tour!

Cheers!

Norris