Anthem of the Seas Canada Cruise

flipper32

I just got off the Anthem yesterday after the Canada/ New England Cruise. I am a veteran cruise NCL (6), Celebrity (2) & Regent (1) but this was my first Royal cruise. Although I have been on large ships before (Getaway & Breakaway) this is was the first time that I thought a large ship really felt huge. I think it might be because of the Anthem layout or the huge crowds at Windjammer. Speaking of Windjammer I shocked at how crowed it was, almost impossible at breakfast to find anyplace to sit down. The pancakes and waffles were constantly room temperature to cold. Our first dinner was at Grande my wife's dinner was ok my halibut might of been the most overcooked piece of fish I have ever been served. We had dinner twice at Silk most in our group (and I agree) thought the food was mostly tasteless. Our best meal was clearly at Jamies Italian. I am not a picky eater especially on a cruise, since I realize how difficult it would be to make great meals for 3000. But for the most I would say the food was poor to mediocre at best. All in all I was really surprised I was excited to try Royal and was very surprised by the cruise.

Sorry to hear, we sail on her this Thursday. Any chance you saved your cruise compasses?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I was on this cruise and I will try to share them in the next couple of days.

The Windjammer was crowded, but I could always find a spot. The one thing that the Oasis has over the anthem is the cooked to order basic breakfast at Johnny Rockets. I miss that every morning. I like omelet so ready fried eggs or prepared scrambled. I hate the pan of goo eggs. So, they have Egg Harbor, the young Asian kid making omelets was fine, but he would every time scoop a big pile of cheese and dump it in the omelet. First day I said, yes cheese, day 2, no cheese day 3 just a little cheese. Got a huge pile. It never melted. I ate around it. There are lots of places to eat breakfast the Solarium being a great example never a crowd, but no made to order.

I flow ride so, I usually get up early, go to the diamond lounge bring back Austrian Stritzel bread, and 2 cappuccino expresso combos for the DW and I, and maybe some other thing. that was my breakfast most mornings after day 3, I gained 3 pounds during the two week vacation.

Then I would eat lunch. We ate occasionally in the WJ, again, always found a spot. Not necessarily the dream spot.

JC

What about the cruise? You made no mention of Canada, even though it's in the title of your thread. Did you get off the ship? Go on an excursion? Take in a show? Shop? Take pictures? How was your room? Where was it located? Was the weather nice? Did you see any wildlife? Perhaps you only cruise to eat.

Just guessing they only want to complain not help other cruisers.:eek:

JC

We were on the same cruise and had a wonderful time. Thought the food was OK, not great. The best thing I had was the Hibachi steak in Silk one night.

We had never been on an Anthem class ship and thought it was beautiful and very much like the newer Celebrity ships. Had a balcony room on Deck 9. The room was very nicely appointed, and there was actually more storage the we needed. Be sure to see "We Will Rock You" It is a great show.

The weather was very nice. We only had rain for about an hour in the morning we were in Portland, Maine. It was quite cool and windy in St. John and Halifax, but the sun was out making it feel a little warmer.

For the first time in a long time, we took a number of ship tours. They were mostly good. In Portland, be sure to go see the lighthouse and get to Kennebunkport, if possible. Bar Harbor is beautiful. We took an Oli's Trolly tour to Acadia National Park there, and it was the best tour of the cruise. I would suggest you book on line in advance as they had no availability the day we were there for walk-up people. The reversing rapids in St John were pretty underwhelming, but the city was quite nice and very walkable. In Halifax, I would suggest going to the Maritime Museum and the Citadel. We took a ship tour to Pegg's Cove and the Titanic cemetery, but thought it was the worst ship tour of the cruise. The time is both spots is very short. While the scenery in Peggy's Cove is pretty, the Portland lighthouse is prettier and there were not as many people around.

Although subjective, hope the information is helpful.

What about the cruise? You made no mention of Canada, even though it's in the title of your thread. Did you get off the ship? Go on an excursion? Take in a show? Shop? Take pictures? How was your room? Where was it located? Was the weather nice? Did you see any wildlife? Perhaps you only cruise to eat.

We had a balcony room, i think it is well designed with a lot of storage. In each of the american ports we just walked around the town.

We took an excursion to see the reversing rapids by train, it was fairly short and unremarkable. We took an excursion to Peggy's Cove which is a scenic little town that has become basically a group of knick knack shops. I didn't mention the ports since they were basically unremarkable ports but nice to walk in around. I'm not complaining I expected them to be nothing more than that. To me this was a cruise about relaxing in nice scenery. I wasn't expecting spectacular interesting ports.

I'm not looking to complain, I tend to be believe if the food wasn't good, and the ship feels very crowed, is something people are interested in.

Yes, I was surprised at that comment - I felt you were simply giving your opinion, a short review, and you didn't like the food. That's OK. :)

I do hope you will consider another RCI cruise on another ship. They have such a great product. Perhaps you might enjoy one of the other class of ships, like Voyager class or my favorite, Radiance class.

Thought the best part about this Cruise was the entertainment We Will Rock You was the best but also enjoyed Spectra and the gift . Don't miss the Billy Joel tribute in Music Hall the last night. For future Cruisers please watch for man playing the bagpipes when you leave st. John in the evening - it was beautiful and my favorite memory. Also just an FYI if anyone has booked a single Studio balcony it was perfect for one person.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Forums mobile app

I'm not looking to complain, I tend to be believe if the food wasn't good, and the ship feels very crowed, is something people are interested in.

Thank you for your honest opinion and I agree that it could be useful information to some. Sometimes you get beat up for not saying something positive.