Monaco GP Cruise - impact on activities

anniebea

We are looking at a Celebrity cruise from Barcelona on the 26th May which includes the Monaco Grand Prix.

I’m not interested in going to the Grand Prix but am wondering if this port of call for the F1 grand prix has any impact on the cruise, ie do a lot of the passengers go on this cruise specifically to go to/watch the grand prix, how does it affect what shore excursions you can do on the Grand Prix day and are the on board activities likely to be skewed towards motor sports?.

Any feedback from those who have been on a cruise that has included a F1 stop would be appreciated.

Thanks

Anne

This is the first time X does a Monaco F1 cruise so I can't comment on the guests or onboard activities. However, on the 3 Azamara Monaco F1 cruises I have taken the average age was in the 40s as opposed to the usual 60s and there were various onboard activities and big screen broadcasts of the practice sessions and qualifiers on the Friday and Saturday before Sunday's race. The younger average age made for a livelier ship, more drinking and nightlife until the early morning hours.

As for race day in Monaco itself, forget about shore excursions other than attending the race. The city is in complete lock down as it is a street race. Everything is closed and there is no traffic except for in the outer most areas. If you do attend the race, don't get your tickets via the cruise line as they charge you a 400% mark up for your "shore excursion". Just buy on the official Formula 1 website. It's an easy walk from the tender drop off to the various stands.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Don’t the Formula 1 races typically run on Sunday, while you’re scheduled to be there on Saturday? I assume you’ll only be viewing practice and qualifying, and not the actual Grand Prix.

The ship is in Nice on Sunday. A short bus/train ride to Monaco.

We did a TA two years ago that stopped in Villefranche which is just outside Nice. People we met went to the GP, but all the other shore excursions were still offered. I don't know if this has changed, but I would guess that not everyone on the ship is going to want to see the race.

We did a TA two years ago that stopped in Villefranche which is just outside Nice. People we met went to the GP, but all the other shore excursions were still offered. I don't know if this has changed, but I would guess that not everyone on the ship is going to want to see the race.

The difference here is that the Constellation visits Monaco on the Saturday and Villefrance(Nice) on the Sunday. The Nice excursions are available but nothing out of Monaco which is understandable. Tickets to both practice day and the actual race are not available through the ship either.