What is Costa Maya like 10 years later?

felixdacat

It has been 10 years since we were at the Costa Maya port. Back then (per the suggestion of this forum) my wife and I decided to walk to Majahual, despite the port owner having built illegal walls in an attempt to keep passengers in his facility as long as possible. I remember that the Mexican government was fighting with the owner and threatening him with bulldozers.

We were told to walk on the rocks and get around the wall that way and ignore the security guards who would yell at you but do nothing. And that’s exactly how it played out. It was a nice morning walk to the little town and we made sure we stopped at Cats Meow.

I know that there was a hurricane and that Cats Meow is gone. Google Maps shows that the area directly outside the port has been built up. There appears to be a walking trail directly from the port to Majahual. Did the dispute get resolved?

We will be back in November. Are there some musts on the to-do list when in Costa Maya?

See the links to the beach sticky in my signature.

Mahahual is no longer a sleepy fishing village. The whole town of Las Casitas next to the port is being developed. Lots of construction going on. Now called Nuevo Mahahual. Cha Chi, the hole in the fence place north of the port, is still not opened.

But take a walk along the malecon from the lighthouse down. And see for yourself. The walking path starts just outside the cruise port gates, to your left and follows some back streets down to the beach between the lighthouse and the port.