Luganville Vanuatu

bigdavefc

Hi Guys and Gals,

Can anyone please tell me if there is much to do around the town of Luganville (Especially things that are not water sport related)? My wife has limited mobility due to a foot ulcer that we had hoped would be healed before we left but unfortunately it isnt healing like we had hoped. She can not do a lot of walking and needs to keep it dry so we won't be doing a lot of swimming. I have sorted some things out for Noumea & Vila but I don't know what we are going to do when we visit Luganville.

Before our first visit to Luganville seven or eight years ago I posted on this forum the question "What should we do in Luganville?" Very quickly the answer came back "Stay on the ship." This was a big glib, but when we went ashore, I could see why the comment was made.

We have been back to Luganville a few times since then. You can go ashore and wander along the market stalls. There are now at least 50-60 set up on the wharf and along the road. The town is pretty-well a non-event.

You could go for a tour in a taxi. One time we went to Million Dollar Point, but there is literally nothing to see unless you go diving. On our last visit, my husband asked a driver if he would take us for a drive around. I cannot remember exactly how much money he asked us for, but it was ridiculous. I think it was around $150 even though we said we would only need him for about an hour. Maybe he just saw us as 'rich tourists' and didn't understand what would be a reasonable price. We have been accustomed to paying around $20 per hour in other Pacific Islands so his quote was a shock.

Edited by Aus Traveller

Espiritu Santo is the most beautiful island.

After visiting 3 times by cruise ship we decided that a day wasn't long enough so in July we visited for 6 nights. We enjoyed it so much when we came home we booked to go again at Christmas. It reminds us of how Port Vila was when we first visited 30 years ago.

Definately get away from the port area to explore. It is a pity about your wife's leg. My daughter has CP is unable to walk and uses a wheelchair.

There will be tour operators at the port offering local tours. Like most ports when a cruise ship comes in the prices go up.

My suggestions would be:

An East Coast Tour visiting Champagne Bay, Port Orly and a Blue Hole.

Even though you might not swim the scenery is stunning.

A visit to one of the local resorts or restaurants. Our favorite is the Village de Santo where we stay, but also very good the Espiritu Hotel, Natangora Cafe, Sichen Chinese and for the view the Deco Stop Lodge get a local taxi to take you and don't pay until he picks you up we only paid 200vt each way.

Oyster Island and Lope Lope are also very nice.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In Luganville, we went on a ship's tour to Itu Flower Garden to see the Banks and Torres Strait Islands women perform their water music.

We were in a 14-seater bus, two or three steps up into it. The garden was flat and not huge, but the viewing area (with seats) was a couple so steps up, too. It was a wonderful experience.

I wish you both a happy cruise and send get well wishes to your wife.

Susan (in Oz)

Santo has a tourism website that maybe helpful.

http://www.espiritusantotourism.com/

I compiled a list of tour operators last year. Maybe one of them would be suitable. The list is available at http://vanuatupacificaria2015.blogspot.com.au/2015/10/shore-tours-for-vanuatu.html

Our planned stop at Luganville was cancelled so I don't have any first-hand info other than I used Santo Irie tours from Champagne beach.

Hope you have a great trip

Judy

I can highly recommend Steve from Santo Natural Tours Mobile 7741135 who we used for all our tours whilst in Santo. He was very nice, and gave us an interesting commentary as we travelled along.

My daughter is in a wheelchair and was very helpful with her.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi,

We did Luganville 2 years ago. We got a taxi/tour from the locals off the boat. We went to a beach in front of a resort, don't know the name but it was a nice beach and quite shallow for a long way out. The we went to the blue hole. Nice but water was really cold, had a cool rope swing DH and the boys enjoyed, very busy. We then went to Champagne Bay which was on the other side (and coincidentally we went to on the ship the next day - apparently my MIL and DH were told by e drivers that we were going there the next day but I didn't hear that lol). As it turned out it was really beautiful and really ice to be there virtUally on our own. There were a few locals and a couple of other tourists but it was really nice to have it almost to ourselves without the thousands of other people on the cruise. Was a really nice scenic drive to get there too. On the way back to the ship we went for a drive through the town, not too much there but it was a really nice day and the drivers couldn't have been nice.

I think whatever you do is an experience. Friends of ours did the water music and loved it and also went to see the WWII relics.

Vickie.

Dave we have been to Luganville a few times , have done a few water activities and have done a number of things that were not to strenuous. We spent the day at the yacht club , had pizza lunch and a few bevies and got our laundry done , washed dryed and ironed. Caught a cab there . We have also had lunch in a local pub- the crab was amazing and a nice change from ship food. Could also catch a cab there. in some ports we enjoy having a meal ashore as its a refreshing change from ship food

Luganville is world renowned for diving, we dive, but you don't need to dive to enjoy million dollar point. I have snorkelled there & it's fantastic!

You can see all the old jeeps & boats, even forklifts dumped there after WW2 that have become part of the reef now, loads of fish & the rare red coral as well.

Easy beach access for snorkelling & you can see loads of great stuff without going under the water. Just get a local at the dock to take you there, entry is about $7 as it's a marine park.

If your wife has a foot ulcer then maybe the sea water would help with the healing & snorkelling puts no weight on your foot so could well be a good option? Although wearing flippers is the best way to have good mobility whilst snorkelling so not sure if the flipper would be an issue?

But if she can't manage it then you should still do it & she can sit on the beach & relax whilst you snorkel - it's really something not to miss. :)

• 4 weeks later...
Luganville is world renowned for diving, we dive, but you don't need to dive to enjoy million dollar point. I have snorkelled there & it's fantastic!

You can see all the old jeeps & boats, even forklifts dumped there after WW2 that have become part of the reef now, loads of fish & the rare red coral as well.

Easy beach access for snorkelling & you can see loads of great stuff without going under the water. Just get a local at the dock to take you there, entry is about $7 as it's a marine park.

If your wife has a foot ulcer then maybe the sea water would help with the healing & snorkelling puts no weight on your foot so could well be a good option? Although wearing flippers is the best way to have good mobility whilst snorkelling so not sure if the flipper would be an issue?

But if she can't manage it then you should still do it & she can sit on the beach & relax whilst you snorkel - it's really something not to miss. :)

How far away is Million Dollar point from where the ship dock?

Would we need to get money changed to use to pay a driver and the entry to the Marine park to snorkel? Or are they happy to take Aussie $

How far away is Million Dollar point from where the ship dock?

Would we need to get money changed to use to pay a driver and the entry to the Marine park to snorkel? Or are they happy to take Aussie $

It's about 10-15 min drive. Australian dollars are fine.