Interested in the escape

foxygrl

We are first time cruisers and are interested in the escape or dcl fantasy even the royal caribbean oasis ships. i have 2 boys 6 & 8 and i was wondering if there is enough to keep them entertained. looking at the 7 day to Bahamas/Caribbean. has anyone done the escape with kids? i have some pros and cons of dcl vs others. Does anyone have any input of any of the other cruise lines when cruising with kids. we are not disney freaks so that being said we are open to others.

Pros disney

Décor made for kids like the padded portholes in halls to sit and watch the ocean

Casual dress code

Movies in the theater

Free ice cream

Food with kids in mind

Pools (although packed with kids)

Characters (star wars)

Excellent service people

Free non alcoholic drinks

Cons Disney

Price $$$$

crowded with kids

Pros other ship

Ropes course

Water slides

Carnival free icecream

Price $$ $$$

Cons other ships

Dress codes

Adult themed

People irritated with kids?

Adult themed food

Not all is kid friendly

No private island

No free drinks except some free juice tea ice tea coffee?

NCL also has...

- free soft serve ice cream (self serve in the buffet area)

- casual dress code

- depending on your itinerary NCL does have private islands (but not as kid focused as Disney)

- Escape has great water slides and rope course (depending on size of kids some slides/rope course may be restricted)

I don't see people getting irritated with kids unless they are misbehaving. I also feel that the servers go out of their way to entertain kids. Many of them have their own families that they miss and enjoy interacting with kids.

Any ship can be crowded with kids if you are travelling a peak vacation time (holidays, spring break) although probably not as much as Disney.

Edited by nets33

I have sailed both with Disney and with NCL and while I personally prefer Norwegian, with kids that age I would have to go with Disney. Yes, it is more expensive, but no other cruise line has that Disney magic. My son was 8 when we sailed on DCL and it was an incredible trip from the time we boarded the bus (we took the DCL shuttle from Animal Kingdom Lodge) to the time we got back to the airport.

Hi,

I can tell you over the years I have done Disney and Princess, and am booked on the Escape next month. I don't bring my son, but I have yet to find a cruise line that does not have a good setup/program for kids these days. Just read up on how each handle it, and choose what works best for you. I think there is an entire subforum for cruising with family, that may help you as well? I am new so don't quote me on this. :)

Orlando

My first NCL cruise isn't until January, but I have sailed Disney twice. For families, I'm not sure Disney can be beat. My nephews absolutely had a blast. The kids clubs are jaw-dropping good, and they are basically open all day until around midnight. Plus the fireworks show/pirate night, character interactions, and dining staff who make it their personal goal to entertain your kids and make them smile. Not to mention, the ships are in immaculate shape, and the Disney private island is usually ranked as the best of its kind (it is truly paradise!). As far as being overrun with children, I think you won't notice any difference there, as Disney has so much for them to do, they are "hidden" quite well. As far as I'm concerned, the only (or at least, the main) downside to Disney is the price. But you get what you pay for!

NCL also has...

- free soft serve ice cream (self serve in the buffet area)

- casual dress code

- depending on your itinerary NCL does have private islands (but not as kid focused as Disney)

- Escape has great water slides and rope course (depending on size of kids some slides/rope course may be restricted)

I don't see people getting irritated with kids unless they are misbehaving. I also feel that the servers go out of their way to entertain kids. Many of them have their own families that they miss and enjoy interacting with kids.

Any ship can be crowded with kids if you are travelling a peak vacation time (holidays, spring break) although probably not as much as Disney.

i have just seen some people complain about to many kids. i checked and my kids could do all of the things by their height requirements so thats a good thing! :) i still dont know if we should just splurge for DCL while my kids are young or save $ and do the escape?

We have done DCL 3 times and are just now heading to NCL on the Escape with our teenagers. The Fantasy has an amazing waterslide and the kids clubs are amazing. For children of your kids ages, I would recommend DCL without hesitation, however, I am finding it REALLY hard to wrap my mind around not being on DCL...we were really spoiled and I am afraid nothing else will live up to it - which is why we chose the UBP - cause there's a drink for that.

My first NCL cruise isn't until January, but I have sailed Disney twice. For families, I'm not sure Disney can be beat. My nephews absolutely had a blast. The kids clubs are jaw-dropping good, and they are basically open all day until around midnight. Plus the fireworks show/pirate night, character interactions, and dining staff who make it their personal goal to entertain your kids and make them smile. Not to mention, the ships are in immaculate shape, and the Disney private island is usually ranked as the best of its kind (it is truly paradise!). As far as being overrun with children, I think you won't notice any difference there, as Disney has so much for them to do, they are "hidden" quite well. As far as I'm concerned, the only (or at least, the main) downside to Disney is the price. But you get what you pay for!

thats what i think also we should just bite the bullet and go with disney this time. but then it will be hard to top LOL. i look forward to hearing about your trip in January!

Edited by foxygrl

i have just seen some people complain about to many kids. i checked and my kids could do all of the things by their height requirements so thats a good thing! :) i still dont know if we should just splurge for DCL while my kids are young or save $ and do the escape?

There are adults-only areas to ensure you can enjoy kid-free spaces if you wish. Your kids are in the sweet spot, age-wise, for a Disney cruise, in my opinion. Once they are teens they might not be as interested. I'm a travel agent and have yet to find any other product that caters to children as well as Disney does. Unfortunately, Disney only has 4 ships, so the demand/prices remain very high! Although the two new ships are fantastic, don't discount the two older Disney ships, as the Magic has been totally refurbished and the Wonder is about to undergo the same treatment. They tend to run a little cheaper than the Fantasy. Might be a good idea to start small and work your way up to the larger ships. The Magic is probably my favorite ship out of 5 cruises.

my kids will probably want to be with me the whole time. i just dont want to hear people complaining about all the kids! :)

If you do Disney I think you'd find that the kids are happy to participate in the kids events. I agree with the previous poster that Disney is a great option for your kids at their current age.

NCL does have a kids program (as do all cruise lines) but Disney's focus is on the kids more than any other line.