!st time on RCI

Giantfan13

We are experienced cruisers but this is our first time on RCI (the last 5 have been Carnival). We are sailing 12 day round trip out of Baltimore, Dec 10 and we are so looking forward to it.

Since we have 6 sea days, I was wondering what to expect on RCI on sea days?

My DW loves 'High Tea' do they have this on sea days?

Do they have trivia contests?

I am a Viet Nam vet, do they have anything that they do special for veterans?

On Carnival, they have basically eliminated lunch menus in the MDR (sea day brunches or buffets), is there a regular lunch menu in the MDR every sea day?

We have selected Anytime Dining. I thought I read somewhere you need to make a reservation for what time you want to eat? Is this so? We usually like to eat about 7 and do not care who they seat us with, we love to meet new people every night. Do we need to reserve this time every night?

Thanks so much for any help.

Cheers

Len

Edited by Giantfan13

We are experienced cruisers but this is our first time on RCI (the last 5 have been Carnival). We are sailing 12 day round trip out of Baltimore, Dec 10 and we are so looking forward to it.

Since we have 6 sea days, I was wondering what to expect on RCI on sea days?

My DW loves 'High Tea' do they have this on sea days? No

Do they have trivia contests? Yes, many

I am a Viet Nam vet, do they have anything that they do special for veterans? If someone sets it up/posts a notice it can happen, but nothing ship run that I have seen

On Carnival, they have basically eliminated lunch menus in the MDR (sea day brunches or buffets), is there a regular lunch menu in the MDR every sea day? Yes, still a menu along with a small buffet

We have selected Anytime Dining. I thought I read somewhere you need to make a reservation for what time you want to eat? Is this so? We usually like to eat about 7 and do not care who they seat us with, we love to meet new people every night. Do we need to reserve this time every night? Reservations may help but are not required. More necessary for a larger group. 2 tops seat quickly just walking up in my experience.l

Thanks so much for any help.

Cheers

Len

Answered in red...

While it's been about 1 year since I last sailed on Royal Caribbean, the buffet mentioned as part of the lunch in the MDR is not so much a buffet, but a made-to-order salad bar. You choose the ingredients, and the staff assembles the salad for you. You can just get a small salad to go with whatever you order off the menu or a large salad as your meal. It usually has a great variety of ingredients. It's one of my favorite lunch options. If you see references to the tutti salad bar, this is what people are talking about. This thread has some nice pictures. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2258679

Edited by jjdc

When did Royal stop the Vet's party? We have had one on every Royal cruise we have ever taken with the last one in March on the Anthem. The Music Hall was standing room only. They did eliminate the free drinks. Abe, our CD said the Vet's party was very popular. Omitting the free drink was not costing them anything. :confused::mad:

While it's been about 1 year since I last sailed on Royal Caribbean, the buffet mentioned as part of the lunch in the MDR is not so much a buffet, but a made-to-order salad bar. You choose the ingredients, and the staff assembles the salad for you. You can just get a small salad to go with whatever you order off the menu or a large salad as your meal. It usually has a great variety of ingredients. It's one of my favorite lunch options. If you see references to the tutti salad bar, this is what people are talking about. This thread has some nice pictures. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2258679

The salad bar has become very popular.

When did Royal stop the Vet's party? We have had one on every Royal cruise we have ever taken with the last one in March on the Anthem. The Music Hall was standing room only. They did eliminate the free drinks. Abe, our CD said the Vet's party was very popular. Omitting the free drink was not costing them anything. :confused::mad:

The Grandeur does a party for the veterans.

We usually like to eat about 7 and do not care who they seat us with, we love to meet new people every night. Do we need to reserve this time every night?

Len

Most MTD opt to not share a table so you might have a little wait for a large table with other MTD guests looking to share. I don't think you can make a MTD reservation for a large shared table. When you're ready to eat, just go to the dining room and tell the hostess you would like to share a large table.

Interesting, i have never seen it on any RCI cruise and am Diamond (but, other than one TA all sailings have been within Europe, so perhaps that plays a part)

First, thank you for your service to our county.

Second, as some folks have already mentioned, yes, the MDR serves lunch on sea days. One of the added reasons to love sea days. They have what they call a 'Tuti Salad' (don't know how they came up with it). But it's basically a 'salad' bar. But you pick out what you want and the employees put it together, mix and chop it up for you. It has super options. Everything from mozzarella balls to roasted eggplant, small shrimp to fresh feta. Nothing even close to the basic few options on the WindJammer salad bar. They also usually have fresh bread and cheese choices like focaia and brie available as well. Make a point of going the first sea day. As if you love it as much as many of us do, you'll be sorry if you will have missed opportunities.

Enjoy

Erika

We have always had our own table for MTD but tables are so close that we were able to meet many great people at dinner. It was never intrusive we could have stayed separate if we wanted and we ended up most nights sitting near the same people. We truly enjoyed it!

Also, there is a small buffet in addition to the salad bar set up at lunch time in the MDR. It will be towards the back center of the room. I had some wonderful salmon a couple of times. There were also several other meat, veggie, starch options available. I hope you enjoy your first RCCL cruise. We are diamond plus with them and I can honestly say I had no idea there was a veterans party ever. My dh was in the air force during Vietnam era, but was sent to Thailand for his tour and was security police guarding the planes going to Nam. Thank you for your service!