Bring your own movies on board!

grinthock

Well. Many people have kids and want them to chill, or perhaps they want to watch something during a quiet night, or maybe they want to catch up on something at home, lots of reasons why.

Some people like TV - some don't - I don't judge.

Oh and USB stick in the TV with content on it works perfectly here on Harmony but these TVs are brand new - I wouldn't bet that on other vessels plus there is the whole file format problem, what works and what wouldn't --- just way too much to try and provide a guide.

Dedosar: I know people that cruise that hardly ever leave their stateroom -- that's their thing. Different strokes. I'm not much for going out to bars all night, but order in some food and drinks, chill with the balcony door open and watch a movie - that's a nice evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thanks, Like I said I was not judging or being critical? I understand what you described. Everyone should do what they enjoy doing on their vacation.

We are usually up early and will watch some TV when we wake up, I always bring at least a tablet. The HDMI cable is pretty simple and you can get them for Android and Apple tablets and phones. I usually just unplug the current HDMI cable out and plug in mine. Also before dinner a lot of times we have free time and when we go to bed we usually watch some TV. I bring the Ipad and don't bring any extra batteries, but I do bring some longer extension cables so I can charge the device I am using to stream.

We were keeping up on the local news on the TA a year ago using VOOM on the Allure and it was really good. We enjoy just chilling on a TA and Royal really did no have that much going on during the day that interested us.

Gosh glad this went negative so quick. (Local trolls can move on - less trolling - more scrolling please)

It will work for photos and videos as well.

(For the techno savvy - the USB ports even worked for playing Content off a stick too - but I'm in no way explaining details on that!)

Thanks you answered my question I have lots of content on USB sticks

Well. Many people have kids and want them to chill, or perhaps they want to watch something during a quiet night, or maybe they want to catch up on something at home, lots of reasons why.

Some people like TV - some don't - I don't judge.

Oh and USB stick in the TV with content on it works perfectly here on Harmony but these TVs are brand new - I wouldn't bet that on other vessels plus there is the whole file format problem, what works and what wouldn't --- just way too much to try and provide a guide.

Dedosar: I know people that cruise that hardly ever leave their stateroom -- that's their thing. Different strokes. I'm not much for going out to bars all night, but order in some food and drinks, chill with the balcony door open and watch a movie - that's a nice evening.

I totally understand your train of thought. When we cruise with our son it is different than when we cruise without him.

Our son will watch a movie prior to bed as he unwinds at the end of the day. He can also play his iPad games and it is displayed on the TV, like a large monitor. We rarely watch TV at night but one cruise we watched a full season of the Big Band Theory before retiring for the day.

BTW I saved a link to your video. I have explained it enough times that I have saved it in my notes on my iPad, to copy and paste. Your video is that much more descriptive and the visual is better than mine with still photos.

Thanks for doing it.

Great video - thanks! In 2013 we did a cruise from Sydney, Aus to Perth. We tried bringing dvds and a remote on that cruise along with an HDMI cable but when we turned it on we could see whatever we were playing but there was a big splash screen superimposed over the movie and there was no way to get rid of it. That was on the Voyager of the Seas and as I said, in 2013. Wouldn't that happen now? Have they changed things? We will be in Brilliance of the Seas TA in October. Will that work? Thanks

This is a hot topic for many families and those who want to watch something from home in their stateroom.

I created a quick video for those who want to know how to do it, this trick has worked for me on multiple RCI ships and on celebrity and Norwegian as well.

Hope this helps! Feel free to share.

Well most ships I have been on are Samsung - and most modern Samsug tvs are the same. I programmed for mine at home and when I got here it just worked!

It all depends on the remote - I won't lie some are a huge pain. I used the code search method in the manual.

The remote programming might be the worst part...

Thanks. Been to the shops and got a new thin HDMI, and a remote.

Wish me luck.

i'm doing a b5b (with a few ship changes) so will need some big screen time. LOL

Raina

To the OP:

This is a really useful tutorial and thank you very much for sharing it. However, I think it would be extra-extra useful if you could share the information about the universal remote programming codes, for instance, a website that has a list of these for Samsung tv's, etc?

I mention this as my DH does the same technique (using a different universal remote) and the hardest part of the whole process is finding the right codes. He usually scribbles them down before we set off (it's almost always a Samsung tv, as you noted) and we have always managed to swap over to the HDMI port where tv's are up-to-date flat screens.

He really should have written something up a while ago, but now you have done such a lovely video!! It is very helpful. Thank you!

I tried this several times in the past on ships and could not gt access.

i used to take my media player and hdmi cable, but gave up, always works ok in most hotels.

i assumed that the external ports had been disabled by the ships tech's using the master TV controller.

i could control the tv but not the ports with my remote.

i think this was on independence of the seas, or maybe jewal, cannot remember as i gave up taking the media player,

might try again with my tablet

on Navigator TA next so our own movies will come in handy

Why not reccomended?

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

Our own experience with unplugging the HDMI cable already in the TV (to utilise that port) is that, on re-establishing the connection, we have found that the tv no longer was operable. It would just get 'stuck' on the first channel it loads to, so we'd usually just get a permanent sales spiel. It also rendered the 'interactive' features (like checking your onboard account balance or ordering from room service) inoperable.

This is why we prefer to use an alternative HDMI port.

• 4 weeks later...

We are on the Brilliance right now on a TA. We can play stuff from our laptop to the TV by plugging in the HDMI cable we brought with us to the TV and tuning the TV to channel 3. No problem at all save sometimes the sound, we need to unplug and start again. Not sure yet about streaming Netflix. Was successful once but just to try it out. Not sure yet if it will buffer properly for the length of a show. I'll let you know