Buying wine near Newark airport

alishac

We will be getting in to Newark airport around 7:30 pm and would like to buy a few bottles of wine that we can take on the ship. We won't have a rental car, so it will be difficult to drive to a liquor store/grocery store. Is there a location either in Newark airport or near the Springhill Suites Newark Airport that we could by a few bottles after we get off the plane?

We will be getting in to Newark airport around 7:30 pm and would like to buy a few bottles of wine that we can take on the ship. We won't have a rental car, so it will be difficult to drive to a liquor store/grocery store. Is there a location either in Newark airport or near the Springhill Suites Newark Airport that we could by a few bottles after we get off the plane?

Best thing I can suggest is calling around area liquor stores to check if any of them deliver; if so and you know what you want, it sounds like you might be able to have it brought to you at the hotel.

Only thing is, this *is* Newark which is on the upswing but it's mostly a working class neighborhood with ordinary, basic Mom & Pop liquor stores so the wine selections might not be what you are accustomed to but they probably have a Mondavi Reserve or Santa Margharita type thing there. Just don't think Rioja, Margaux, Oregon Pinot.

There's a store in Jersey called WineLibrary not too far that has nearly everything from top to bottom that I THINK will deliver to you for a few bottles order AND they discount and ship too so if you like them, you can always order from them online when you're home. I've not been there, friends have - I've seen the owner on Bloomberg, he's a high energy type guy that I never heard speak so fast in my life - that's what caught my attention; I had no idea what business he was in! So if you google them too, perhaps that might work out...might have a better chance with Wine Library than local stores but try local stores too!

Good luck and have a great cruise.

What about the Duty Free shop at Newark Airport? I'm flying in Thursday and that's what my plan was.

Don't know if you can buy wine in Duty Free. You can buy hard liquor, but I'm not seeing wine on the list for duty free.

Liquor, wine, and beer can only be sold in licensed "liquor" stores in NJ. You can't buy it in the supermarket or corner store. The airport area is huge with no nearby residential areas and therefore no nearby liquor stores.

Don't know if you can buy wine in Duty Free. You can buy hard liquor, but I'm not seeing wine on the list for duty free.

Liquor, wine, and beer can only be sold in licensed "liquor" stores in NJ. You can't buy it in the supermarket or corner store. The airport area is huge with no nearby residential areas and therefore no nearby liquor stores.

Well bummer!

Check to see if there is a Vino Volo in Newark Airport. This is a new type of wine bar I've seen in several airports the past few years. Besides wine to drink you can also buy an assortment of wine to take away (and the prices weren't bad).

Check to see if there is a Vino Volo in Newark Airport. This is a new type of wine bar I've seen in several airports the past few years. Besides wine to drink you can also buy an assortment of wine to take away (and the prices weren't bad).

Thanks, I'll check it out!

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

What about the Duty Free shop at Newark Airport? I'm flying in Thursday and that's what my plan was.

Duty free only works if you are flying out of the USA - a boarding pass must be shown while purchasing the spirits and even then, typically the purchase is kept from you and brought to your gate for you for pickup when boarding the plane. Otherwise there'd be no exemption for the duty-free - only reason passengers are allowed to purchase "free of duty" is because they are leaving the country. If you are leaving the USA then of course, this will work!

Otherwise, see my other post in this thread and try contacting the liquor stores to see if they will deliver to the hotel - it just might work. Good luck.