Cheers Package Question

luv2cruise65

I am incredulous at your suggestion that my choice of disposal of a drink THAT I PAID FOR is stealing.

I'm incredulous that you don't understand it is.

Edit--And to elaborate a little: What you paid for was the right to consume 15 drinks yourself, per day, if you can. You did not pay for the right to give drinks to whomever you want. You may think Carnival hasn't lost anything because you weren't going to drink 15 drinks, anyway. If so, you would be wrong. Carnival certainly tracks data on the average number and price of drinks purchased across its fleet under the CHEERS program, and the number of people who don't consume 15 drinks per day is a factor in the algebra used to determine the asking price for CHEERS. Also, your willingness to share "free" drinks with other, non-paying passengers robs Carnival of the profit it otherwise would have realized by those passengers buying individual drinks (or CHEERS).

That's why it is stealing.

Edited by DrHfuhruhurr

I've changed my mind. I won't be drinking alcohol at all. SHAME on Carnival for padding their bottom line by encouraging alcoholism with their Cheers "Buy 50 drinks get 50 more free" package. 50 to 100 drinks in a week is clearly only for a person who needs a 12 step program.

Edited by Thunderjunk

Edit--And to elaborate a little: What you paid for was the right to consume 15 drinks yourself, per day, if you can. You did not pay for the right to give drinks to whomever you want. You may think Carnival hasn't lost anything because you weren't going to drink 15 drinks, anyway. If so, you would be wrong. Carnival certainly tracks data on the average number and price of drinks purchased across its fleet under the CHEERS program, and the number of people who don't consume 15 drinks per day is a factor in the algebra used to determine the asking price for CHEERS. Also, your willingness to share "free" drinks with other, non-paying passengers robs Carnival of the profit it otherwise would have realized by those passengers buying individual drinks (or CHEERS).

That's why it is stealing.

We've been through this before (not you and I but me and the last cheers thread I participated in lol) but I still find it very hard to believe that Carnival would sell something they will lose money on unless you don't fully participate in it.

Yes, I agree you are buying the right to drink 15 drinks a day whether you do or not. If Carnival is counting on me to not drink them all in order to make money they have a bad business model.

If they limit it to 15 a day they must have concluded that the price I paid will cover that 15. Now we both know that's not true at the retail prices I pay for a drink but I have no idea what they pay for the supply so I gotta figure they know what they are doing.

SO, if they sell me the right to drink 15 a day then they have sold me 15 drinks. I SHOULD be allowed to use that 15 however I want. Drink them all, give them all away, drink a few or don't even take any.

Now odds are certainly in their favor that most individuals can't keep up with 15 a day for 7 days so anything they make off what I don't drink is bonus for them. But you can't convince me they sold me 15 drinks at a loss hoping I'd crap out after 3 or 4.

So I'm not arguing that it's OK to steal - which at the current rules of the program, sharing would be. I'm saying they should change their rules. Maybe charge a sharing fee for a couple in a single room. Still limit us to 15 but pay a little extra so we can both have a few drinks.

Because I will never buy 2 full price cheers packages but I would very certainly consider 1 or 1 plus a sharing fee. They've sold the same 15 drinks for the same money instead of me just not bothering.

And if I paid for 15 a day I sure will get 15 a day even if I'm pouring the last 6 or 8 single malts down the drain. I freely and shamelessly admit that's just orneriness.

I think the correct answer is if you can't afford $350 for alcohol for a week, drink what you can afford. It's silly to suggest stealing isn't wrong if you can't afford to pay.

Carnival has determined that offering a flat fee for alcohol is cost-effective, but only when the people who buy into the program don't share drinks with those who don't pay. If you want to cheat the program, go ahead. But don't fool yourself into thinking you're not doing anything wrong.

If you want to complain about stealing, ask carnival why they are keeping customers money they've overcharged on Vista for VAT they are not entitled to.

OP. Just get your 15 drinks every day and poor them down the sink. Apparently that will be OK and cost effective apparently.

All this bickering is way off topic. I believe the OP got the information they needed. Geesh.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Yes, I did get my answers and a lot more insight into the program then I could have imagined ;)

Thanks to all who responded, I think we've pretty well covered it :D

I am not sure this is the same however my daughter and my mom both got pack and play offers - I am staying with my daughter and my cousin with mom - Me and my cousin both want to purchase the package but I am not sure if we can switch rooms before boarding since neither of us had the pack and play offer. Do I need to wait until we board to purchase?

However, using the package for non alcoholic beverages isn't a bad deal if you can afford it. Aside from virgin frozen slushy drinks that are super good on warm days by the pool you get a ton of other stuff. There is soda, no biggie. But you can also get milkshakes, fancy coffees, bottles of water, flavored teas, PowerAde etc.

Which venues on Carnival ships would have milkshakes covered under the Cheers program? We just booked it for our upcoming cruise and I'm a lighter drinker than my friends......but hey presto, milkshakes! :D

Edited by Pellaz

We've been through this before (not you and I but me and the last cheers thread I participated in lol) but I still find it very hard to believe that Carnival would sell something they will lose money on unless you don't fully participate in it.

Yes, I agree you are buying the right to drink 15 drinks a day whether you do or not. If Carnival is counting on me to not drink them all in order to make money they have a bad business model.

If they limit it to 15 a day they must have concluded that the price I paid will cover that 15. Now we both know that's not true at the retail prices I pay for a drink but I have no idea what they pay for the supply so I gotta figure they know what they are doing.

SO, if they sell me the right to drink 15 a day then they have sold me 15 drinks. I SHOULD be allowed to use that 15 however I want. Drink them all, give them all away, drink a few or don't even take any.

Now odds are certainly in their favor that most individuals can't keep up with 15 a day for 7 days so anything they make off what I don't drink is bonus for them. But you can't convince me they sold me 15 drinks at a loss hoping I'd crap out after 3 or 4.

I completely agree with you, and I think I may not have been very clear. I'm not suggesting Carnival sells the program at a loss. On the contrary, I'm confident they're making a killing. What I was saying, however, is they must certainly base the price of the package off of the average drinking behavior of all customers, fleet-wide. They have determined the average number and price of drinks consumed, and they established the price accordingly, to achieve the profit margin they are aiming for. If everyone who ever purchased the CHEERS program drank all 15 drinks, every day, with top-shelf liquors, the value equation for Carnival would change. Would they still profit? I'd say probably yes--but I guarantee the price of the package would change at that point.

So I'm not arguing that it's OK to steal - which at the current rules of the program, sharing would be. I'm saying they should change their rules. Maybe charge a sharing fee for a couple in a single room. Still limit us to 15 but pay a little extra so we can both have a few drinks.

Because I will never buy 2 full price cheers packages but I would very certainly consider 1 or 1 plus a sharing fee. They've sold the same 15 drinks for the same money instead of me just not bothering.

That sounds like a reasonable solution, and I'd welcome it, too. I currently have no stance on whether CHEERS is a good deal or a bad deal. We've only been on one other cruise (with a different line), and the drink package was a free perk. I haven't decided if I will pick up CHEERS for our cruise this November on Carnival. We'll see.

And if I paid for 15 a day I sure will get 15 a day even if I'm pouring the last 6 or 8 single malts down the drain. I freely and shamelessly admit that's just orneriness.

Well... that's just wasteful. But, each to his/her own. :)

Well... that's just wasteful. But, each to his/her own. :)

I probably couldn't really do it to a single malt. lol. I'd be too worried my kilted ancestors would rise from the grave and chop me up good.

I could do it to Budweiser though. My German ancestors would rise from the grave and help me. :D

Thank you for your responses...we didn't realize all 4 of us would have to purchase the Cheers package, we just thought it was the adults in the same cabin and our issue was the only one who truly wants the Cheers package is the same one that's switching cabins.

Since our credit cards are hooked to our sail n sign cards, I'm not sure that would work for us. I think we're going to have to tell her no Cheers for her this time. Thanks again:D

It's per adults in the room. If the friend purchases and your in the room you purchase. It has nothing to do with your DH and DD in the other cabin. When you board ask for another key card only, for both rooms. You take one to your DH and your DD takes one to the friends room. Your sign n sail will still be tied to the original room. And yes it is all adults in one room, if one buys everybody in that room buys. Now if your DH wants the cheers then your DD would have to purchase also. I think I've read that guest services can give you a card that will only open cabin doors, if I'm wrong I know I'll be corrected. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPad using Forums.

Edited by volmoma

I think the correct answer is if you can't afford $350 for alcohol for a week, drink what you can afford. It's silly to suggest stealing isn't wrong if you can't afford to pay.

Carnival has determined that offering a flat fee for alcohol is cost-effective, but only when the people who buy into the program don't share drinks with those who don't pay. If you want to cheat the program, go ahead. But don't fool yourself into thinking you're not doing anything wrong.

At least you won't have to worry about getting pulled over for suspicion of drunk driving. I hear those tests can be hard.

two-brains.gif

To help me evaluate the benefit of Cheers vs buying drink one at a time, it would help to understand the one at a time prices.

What are the current price ranges for the following drink orders that Carnival charges:

Domestic Beer (only 1)

Import or Premium Beer (only 1 )

Domestic Beer (Multipack or Bucket)

Import or Premium Beer (Multipack or Bucket)

well drink (like rum & coke or gin & tonic)

"Called" well drink (Bacardi and coke or Tanq and tonic)

fancy cocktail (mai tai, pina colada, margarita, long island)

To help me evaluate the benefit of Cheers vs buying drink one at a time, it would help to understand the one at a time prices.

What are the current price ranges for the following drink orders that Carnival charges:

Domestic Beer (only 1)

Import or Premium Beer (only 1 )

Domestic Beer (Multipack or Bucket)

Import or Premium Beer (Multipack or Bucket)

well drink (like rum & coke or gin & tonic)

"Called" well drink (Bacardi and coke or Tanq and tonic)

fancy cocktail (mai tai, pina colada, margarita, long island)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2148194&highlight=spreadsheet

I am not sure this is the same however my daughter and my mom both got pack and play offers - I am staying with my daughter and my cousin with mom - Me and my cousin both want to purchase the package but I am not sure if we can switch rooms before boarding since neither of us had the pack and play offer. Do I need to wait until we board to purchase?

In your case you would have to wait until on the ship to purchase or you would all have to get it. When you get on go and change rooms then go get your cheers. It will cost you $5 more per day but you've already saved with the room rate.

• 2 years later...
On 9/27/2016 at 4:14 PM, cruizinisthebest said:

Everyone involved in the question is an adult, so it doesn't matter. Everyone will have to get it. If you try buying it online in advance, it will not allow just one adult to get it. Same if you were to buy onboard.

I’m not 21 yet and it’s adding 2 cheers packages to my card. Will I be able to actually use it?

1 hour ago, Gabiimm said:

I’m not 21 yet and it’s adding 2 cheers packages to my card. Will I be able to actually use it?

Thanks for resurrecting up a 3 year old thread.

You say you are not 21 yet. Will you be 21 when you take your cruise?

If you will be 21, then yes. You will be able to use it.

If not, then no. An audit will trigger a cancellation of the Cheers packages and the charges will be refunded back to your card.