Hurricane Matthew-Itineraries changed

KPfromCT

Is there a really big price drop for cruises that depart in September and October that lures passengers to sail during hurricane season? Is the savings worth the risk of cancelled ports and changes in itinerary? And do people who take the risk, are they aware of the consequences that may be associated with a price reduction?

Is there a really big price drop for cruises that depart in September and October that lures passengers to sail during hurricane season? Is the savings worth the risk of cancelled ports and changes in itinerary? And do people who take the risk, are they aware of the consequences that may be associated with a price reduction?

Usually less expensive, and people think it could not happen to them and they are the first to throw a fit. We have sailed in hurricane and knew the risk, a hurricane happened 2X out of maybe 11 cruise from June thru October.

These are all great questions, and while I cannot speak for everyone, I'll answer for me. For us it's not really a cost issue; we cruise when our schedules allow it, and this year it was late October. Knowing full well it's the height of hurricane season, we purchased travel insurance thru USAA, so if we have to cancel we can do so without taking a huge loss. I fully understand the risks involved and know that our ports may be changed or canceled, and the cruise itself might be canceled. We live in Baltimore and saw that happened 4 years ago during Hurricane Sandy...and wound up benefitting from it because Carnival offered a 3 day cruise to nowhere on the tail end of Sandy. And I guess that's the final piece for us, we embark very close to home and don't have the added stress of traveling to an embarkation port.

I like cruising at this time of year because of the reduced fares, and also because this seems to be the time when work settles down and my wife and I can go.

I know that hurricane season risks changed ports and itineraries, but I learned a long time ago not to worry about things that I cannot control. That is advice I give to every new cruiser. Something on your vacation will not go according to plan. Don't worry or stress about things out of your control, just sit back and have a drink. You're on vacation.

We are booked for the 5 day to Canada out of NYC leaving this Saturday. We usually do this sailing in the summer because the rates are typically low. However, for some reason this year, the pricing for the fall itineraries was half of what the summer rates were and we booked. I'd rather sail in the summer and not use my personal days (I work for a school system), but c'est la vie.

I am not really worried about where we go--I'm just glad to be on the ship. We are driving up the day of since it's a two hour drive and we can change our plans easily. We also benefitted from the Sandy CTN out of Baltimore a few years back. I'm hoping that doesn't happen for our cruise--I'd take a 5 day CTN at this point than have the sailing cancelled.

Edited by Carnival_Brides

I went on one cruise during hurricane season. Never again! While there was no hurricane, or even rain, it was so hot and humid I was miserable the whole time. I'll go to the Caribbean in the winter even though that is our good weather time here in AZ. :)

Sensation Wed Fun Day at Sea to say the least, hope they have some Bonine.

At least the Pride won't be sailing into the mess.

It shouldn't be that bad coming back from Cozumel the mess of this hurricane is west of that

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I am so upset that Carnival Elation embarking tomorrow is now going to Key West. I understand that we can't go to the Bahama's, but they could have rerouted to Cozumel. I didn't book a cruise to go to Florida from Florida! Ugh! Won't do this again!

Apparantly you've never been to Bahamas. If you have, you should be happy going to KW:D

Apparantly you've never been to Bahamas. If you have, you should be happy going to KW:D

Agreed, I live in Florida and I love Key West, too bad everytime we go there on a cruise we have to leave at 1:30 I would love to leave at night

Edited by lele100

We frequently cruise during hurricane season. For us it comes down to fewer kids on board (school back in session) and lower prices. However, we know the risk. We just consider it part of the adventure. As you can see in my signature line, we have had our share of action, but no ports missed other than my first cruise out of Galveston days after Hurricane Rita hit.

These are all great questions, and while I cannot speak for everyone, I'll answer for me. For us it's not really a cost issue; we cruise when our schedules allow it, and this year it was late October. Knowing full well it's the height of hurricane season, we purchased travel insurance thru USAA, so if we have to cancel we can do so without taking a huge loss. I fully understand the risks involved and know that our ports may be changed or canceled, and the cruise itself might be canceled. We live in Baltimore and saw that happened 4 years ago during Hurricane Sandy...and wound up benefitting from it because Carnival offered a 3 day cruise to nowhere on the tail end of Sandy. And I guess that's the final piece for us, we embark very close to home and don't have the added stress of traveling to an embarkation port.

Great post--nice level-headed answer. And smart to purchase insurance.

We just got off the Elation this morning. This was my first time in Freeport. I WOULD TAKE KW EVERYDAY than go back to Freeport. Freeport sucks in my opinion. There's lots of stuff to do in KW.

I think KW is more popular over Freeport and Nassau . Need more cruises going there.

There are actually a few posts from people that have booked during hurricane season and knew full well the risks of re-routing/ cancelled stops.

Hats off to all of you for your positive attitudes!

I should tell you about the time we made it to St Lucia ,docked but they could not get the doors open. So the Captain left the port for a day at sea. Only problem was the announcement was not made that we had left St Lucia ' People were packed in the halls and elevators for over an hour :eek:.

We are suppose to be getting on Carnival Magic on Saturday in Port Canaveral. So I'm guessing it could be delayed to allow more time for the storm to pass so the ship isn't traveling right with or behind the storm (into Florida). Do you think that is likely stating that the Hurricane doesn't actually hit Florida if so then it could be a total change of plans.