MSC Sinfonia 24 September - Venice

CruiseIreland

We've just returned from our 3rd and, to our surprise, best MSC cruise. We sailed Sinfonia out of Venice to Split, Santorini, Mykonos, Dubrovnik and Ancona. The ship is smallest of our 3 cruises, easy to walk around but with some dead ends and retracing of steps. Ship is in good condition with constant painting and maintenance. Staff were very good. Room steward excellent, Kumar from Goa, waiting staff in MDR very attentive with regular pours of wine. Food in MDR was excellent. 6 courses and decent beef cuts most nights. The buffet, though, was small and limited on the one night we dined there.

The shows were short at 35 mins most nights. There were 3 shows most nights, none on Tuesday. The shows were somewhat repetitive with hugely talented performers doing similar stuff in different costumes and themes.

Time in ports is often very short with a farcical 6 HR stop, at night, in Mykonos. We took one ship tour, in Santorini to avoid cable car and/or donkey path. It was excellent and well worth the cost. Split was very nice and we would consider visiting for a land trip. Santorini was beautiful, as expected, but it is not somewhere l would feel the need to revisit. Dubrovnik was its usual spectacular self. Bus from cruise terminal 15 kn pp each way. Ancona was a surprise. Berthed right in town, tourist office in port had maps and guidance. Lovely old town, hilly though.

Bar service was usually very good although sometimes staff were overwhelmed on arrival of many customers before an event. It always settled down, though.

Disembarkation was delayed a half hour due to fog in Venice but boarding the transfer bus to Marco Polo was swift. Marco Polo airport was a zoo, though, with renovations, no aircon and thousands of anxious passengers trying to shove through the gates. Not MSC's fault though. Overall, not much to fault at the price point.

Thanks Bea. Yes, we had a great cruise. Our tablemates were two lovely couples from Cork and that made the cruise even better. Weather was fantastic. Ports were lovely. We felt that the atmosphere was more relaxed onboard among both staff and guests. Staff even brought drinks in the buffet!

Our flight was 11.45 yesterday which was causing me some concern. We were instructed to assemble for 8.50 disembarkation. Due to fog, we did not walk off until 9.20 or so and were quickly loaded onto the coach. Arrived at airport at 10.15. Flight was delayed 1 hour, again due to fog. Very tired today but happy.

Bet you're looking forward to your reboarding for the big cruise, Bea!

I certainly am, Ken, though having trouble packing for a 30 night trip (including hotel stay). First World problems, eh? :rolleyes: Your own next trip won't be long before coming 'round, either. ;)

I agree with you regarding the evening call to Mykonos. We didn't bother getting off as we'd been ripped off during a day visit on a prior trip so we decided to enjoy our Allegrissimo selection without the pain of the over-inflated prices ashore. We were informed that that was indeed the case in the bars in the town. It was like a ghost ship onboard, though, so it was a thorough waste of time no matter what!

Were your flights booked through MSC as our late evening one was? It was a bit of a pain as we arrived at 8am on schedule. I know that 2 years ago we managed to get the 11.45am flight without hassle but it is a risk if the ship is delayed on arrival into the port.

The beef offerings were very good on Sinfonia. We really enjoyed the food onboard. I'm not expecting the same standard on the repo, though. They seem to cut back quite a bit on the long-hauls which is only to be expected as they are quite a bit cheaper per day than the 7 nighters. Not a problem for me as I really don't want to eat three big meals plus in-between treats every day for a month! :eek:

I agree about the buffet - it is quite small, especially when used to the Fantasia class buffets. There were a lot of children on our cruise, too. The buffet was bedlam and too noisy for us. We had breakfast there the first morning as we were too late for the MDR - we made sure to be up in time after that!

I thought the combo table service/buffet for breakfast and lunch in Il Galeone MDR was really good. We could sit in the MyChoice section as we'd been upgraded to an Aurea suite - we had fantastic waiter service so we enjoyed having breakfast and lunch there.

I certainly am, Ken, though having trouble packing for a 30 night trip (including hotel stay).

Were your flights booked through MSC as our late evening one was?

The beef offerings were very good on Sinfonia. We really enjoyed the food onboard. I'm not expecting the same standard on the repo, though. They seem to cut back quite a bit on the long-hauls which is only to be expected as they are quite a bit cheaper per day than the 7 nighters. Not a problem for me as I really don't want to eat three big meals plus in-between treats every day for a month! :eek:

There were a lot of children on our cruise, too. The buffet was bedlam and too noisy for us. We had breakfast there the first morning as we were too late for the MDR - we made sure to be up in time after that!

I thought the combo table service/buffet for breakfast and lunch in Il Galeone MDR was really good. We could sit in the MyChoice section as we'd been upgraded to an Aurea suite - we had fantastic waiter service so we enjoyed having breakfast and lunch there.

Hi Bea, I would pack for a week and use the laundry or handwash and dry on the balcony! Bring clothes pegs!

Yes, flights booked through MSC and l was offered early or late. Chose early so as to get home at a decent hour but worried about the time. Ship was in on time despite the fog but debarking was delayed.

Not many kids on our cruise, tg! We only made it to Il Galeone on debarkation morning. It was better than the buffet on last day!

Pack for a week?!!!!! - You'd swear I was going for six months the amount I've put away already LOL

I'm not keen on the laundry as I think they use very hot water. Speaking from past experience. Some of the items came back limp and 'washed out'. They don't use fabric softener, that's for sure! Best place to dry clothes is actually in the bathroom - drying seems to be better there than on the balcony - even on hot, sunny days. Must have something to do with ventilation provided to dry out the room from showers, etc.

We weren't given a choice re flight times - which is probably just as well. Though, as it turned out, you made the early flight which gave you the day to get home. That journey is something else for you, Ken. (We're only an hour and a half from the airport). We didn't arrive home 'til 4am next morning as our plane was delayed the night before. It's rough when you think you have to vacate the cabin at 8am on embarkation day. Hard to believe that it'll be 20 hours from then to get home!!!!

• 4 months later...

Hi all, we're doing the same cruise in June. Just wondering if you booked your transfer to the airport through the ship prior? We'd enquired about booking one and were told they'd only book it if our flight was after 1pm. Our preferred flight is 12.05pm otherwise it's not until late in the afternoon. So when they say arrival at 8am are we able to disembark shortly after? Are we able to do self assist to make it quicker?

Sent from my iPad using Forums

The flights and transfers were part of the overall cruise package in our case.

You can request early disembarkation or self-assist if that's what you prefer - just ensure you let Guest Services know well in advance and they will arrange it according to your preference.

Hope you have a great cruise!

Hi all. I am so glad I found this thread, my "cruise pal" and I (we have done 3 Med. Cruises, one on NCL and one on Carnival) we are seriously thinking of this same cruise in May 2018. My cruise friend is a very loyal Carnival person, and has only done one "non Carnival" cruise. We currently have one booked on NCL but are still considering other cruises and may change. We really like this itinerary and all ports will be new to us- which is why we want to change.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind? How does MSC compare to either NCL or Carnival, or does it?

Is there only "set dining" times" or can you eat when/where you wish?

How is the food? How would the cruise be for several 18-22 year olds (her 2 sons (and one son's fiance) any my niece and nephew?

I see you can get drink packages for $45 per person/per day, has one done this? Is it worth it?

How are the cabin sizes?

Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Hi all. I am so glad I found this thread, my "cruise pal" and I (we have done 3 Med. Cruises, one on NCL and one on Carnival) we are seriously thinking of this same cruise in May 2018. My cruise friend is a very loyal Carnival person, and has only done one "non Carnival" cruise. We currently have one booked on NCL but are still considering other cruises and may change. We really like this itinerary and all ports will be new to us- which is why we want to change.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind?

How does MSC compare to either NCL or Carnival, or does it?

I haven't sailed NCL but I did a one and only Carnival cruise in 2000 - I've since done 14 MSC with 3 more booked. I think that speaks for itself.

It's set dining in the MDR unless you book an Aurea cabin which gives you Anytime dining. There's also the buffet if the set times don't suit.

How is the food?

This is such a subjective issue! I found the food on Sinfonia better than on other MSC ships

How would the cruise be for several 18-22 year olds (her 2 sons (and one son's fiance) any my niece and nephew?

It's a small ship with limited entertainment onboard. This is one of the reasons I wouldn't be keen to do another cruise on this class ship. There is a late night disco onboard but it's generally empty - so no atmosphere. I would suggest you take a look at MSC Poesia - she's doing a similar itinerary, with better times in port and she's a bigger class ship so may have more to offer.

I see you can get drink packages for $45 per person/per day, has one done this? Is it worth it?

The all-inclusive is €26 pppd plus 15% service charge when purchased onboard for that cruise. This may increase in price next year. If it's $45 to prepay, it may be worth holding out and buy for cheaper onboard.

How are the cabin sizes?

It depends - I've only had an Aurea suite on Sinfonia which was a very nice sized cabin

This is what another poster has to say:

While it has been many years since I've sailed carnival, I have cruised on both MSC and Ncl within the last 8 months.

Imo, if you truly like the carnival experience you may not feel at home with MSC. The MSC product is much more subdued. Personally, I prefer food on Ncl and service was more personalized also. You won't find comedy clubs on MSC as they have only one 45 minute show each evening. They do have other music venues, but they aren't what i would call high energy.

MSC is an excellent product for those looking to save a few dollars. I think the product is very value friendly, and the divina was spotlessly clean and really pretty in the hard scape.

Hope this helps

Edited by Beamafar

Thanks for the review. It's refreshing to see something besides another Davina thread. ;)

We just came back on the Splendida and I am looking at the Sinfonia or Preziosa from Venice in September. The size comparison was helpful. Honestly the only entertainment we really enjoyed on Splendida was the trio (2 violins and piano) at the main atrium.

But ultimately it will be based on itinerary and port time. The ship amenities are secondary as it's such a port intensive trip.

Hi all.

I do have a few questions if you don't mind? How does MSC compare to either NCL or Carnival, or does it?

How is the food? How would the cruise be for several 18-22 year olds (her 2 sons (and one son's fiance) any my niece and nephew?

How are the cabin sizes?

I would agree with Beamafar and add that, having sailed RCCL and NCL, l think MSC falls short on food, entertainment and, to some extent, service but knocks the others dead on value for money. For that reason, l am happy to have two cruises booked on MSC for this year. I must add we have never sailed in the yacht club nor are we likely to. We sailed in inside staterooms on RCCL and Sinfonia and couldn't say there's much difference.

Thanks for the review. It's refreshing to see something besides another Davina thread. ;)

We just came back on the Splendida and I am looking at the Sinfonia or Preziosa from Venice in September. The size comparison was helpful. Honestly the only entertainment we really enjoyed on Splendida was the trio (2 violins and piano) at the main atrium.

But ultimately it will be based on itinerary and port time. The ship amenities are secondary as it's such a port intensive trip.

Glad you found it useful. I understand what you mean about Divina! Preziosa is so much larger than Sinfonia but we enjoyed Sinfonia's food and service better although we loved Preziosa too. You are right, itinerary is more important! Enjoy whichever you choose! Ken

I think you mean Poesia :confused: as Preziosa doesn't sail from Venice due to the ban on big ships.

I wouldn't recommend Sinfonia for ports of call due to the visits to Santorini and Mykonos being on the same day - it was too much and, judging by comments made on the ship, others onboard felt the same.

I think you mean Poesia :confused: as Preziosa doesn't sail from Venice due to the ban on big ships.

I wouldn't recommend Sinfonia for ports of call due to the visits to Santorini and Mykonos being on the same day - it was too much and, judging by comments made on the ship, others onboard felt the same.

Yes Poesia... I knew it was one of the two P's ship.[emoji14]

That's too bad how you felt about Santorini. That's the main draw for the next trip for me. And I did wonder about that Mykonos stop.

Don't misunderstand me! Santorini was the place which provided the most spectacular views and photographs. One is the screensaver on my PC. We were blown away by the views. The views were amazing but l felt l wouldn't need to revisit it. Worth the excursion to avoid cable car queue on way back!

Mykonos stop was a joke. Many who went ashore were 'frozen' and somewhat disappointed. Not much to see at night, and most had a tiring day on Santorini that day.