The MAIN reasons we (mostly) avoid Carnival

Tom-n-Cheryl

Interesting. We quit booking with NCL specifically due to their incredibly mediocre main dining room food. While specialty dining on NCL was always good, the main dining room had reached barely edible levels. The reset of the cruise experience on NCL was ok, not great, but ok.

We have no brand loyalty and will call out any line including Carnival when need be.

I'd like to chime in, but must admit that we've never had dinner in the MDR on our NCL sailings.

Maybe ignorance is bliss - I don't know!

Tom

Maybe one could sail on Oceania, or Crystal. Of course it is harder to be "Top Dog" on those lines, which based on comments about price and spending, seems to be the real issue. :rolleyes:

Mass market lines make their money from the masses. Plain and simple.

I like what the (mainstream) big ships have to offer - multiple venues, with a wide variety of good entertainment and many food options (yes, even if I have to pay extra). I don't think I'd care for a cruise on Oceania nor Crystal, as I suspect that they are very low key (aka low energy, lol). Then again, perhaps I'm just falling victim to traditional stereotypes, as can easily happen to all of us.

Tom

Edited by Tom-n-Cheryl

Agreed....their newer ship have many niceties which you've mentioned (Guys, Ji Ji's, the Steakhouse, etc) but you still can't beat those corner aft suites the Spirit Class ships - IMHO!

Ah - I see you've got the Epic booked again. I love that it (and the Oasis) now sails from Port Canaveral. Really looking forward to March, not that I'm pressing for time to pass quickly - it seems to do that without my input - as I'm going to enjoy a few roast beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe on the Oasis!

i-RpgpKcX-L.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-L.jpg

Tom

From my standpoint, Carnival was at its peak with the Spirit class of ships - aft corner suites with huge balconies and a two story Supper Club! Oh yes, the Supper Clubs - with their live music!

Tom

Love the aft suites on the Spirit class and the Serenity area is in the aft so wind is not much of an issue and a pool although it is not covered.

After reading about other lines, I agree that they are behind in suite perks and serving a hot breakfast.

Hot room service breakfast is a big deal to me. I am saddened to see the menu items I always ordered in the morning no longer available. eating breakfast on my balcony was the way I really loved to start my day.

Which hot room service breakfast items were those?

Ah - I see you've got the Epic booked again. I love that it (and the Oasis) now sails from Port Canaveral. Really looking forward to March, not that I'm pressing for time to pass quickly - it seems to do that without my input - as I'm going to enjoy a few roast beef sandwiches at the Park Cafe on the Oasis!

i-RpgpKcX-L.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-L.jpg

Tom

Yep - we're still mixing in the Haven as often as possible.

But - Carnival still fits once in a while too. It's nice that the Pride is close enough to drive and still a good fit for us when we add the Steakhouse instead of the MDR! ;) :D

About a year ago I was following a Celebrity vs Oceania thread here on CC.

Naturally it devolved into a back and forth insult flame war between the 2 cheerleaders /defenders of each line each making some decent points.

But the final post from the Oceania poster to the Celebrity poster was the best:

"Fine. Then I'll stick with Oceania and you can continue cruising your Celebrity Amusement Park Of The Seas"

True. But, it won't matter to us and others who book suites. [emoji1]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Forums mobile app

True - their suite perks are a definite step up from their loyalty perks. Especially when if you book a "Star Class" suite - with premium beverage package, unlimited high speed internet, unlimited specialty dining, etc...

Tom

i-RpgpKcX-L.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-L.jpg

Tom

So Sorry Tom but..OMG & Holy Crap that food looks so GROSS! There's so much fat on that meat. How did you even chew that? :eek: And it looks like someone hurled on it. YUCK!

i-RpgpKcX-L.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-L.jpg

Tom

Yuck. Too much fat :eek:

Is that a potato under the meat on the sandwich in the bottom pic?

Edited by VASOXFANN

So Sorry Tom but..OMG & Holy Crap that food looks so GROSS! There's so much fat on that meat. How did you even chew that? :eek: And it looks like someone hurled on it. YUCK!

That was one of the appealing factors for me. :) I like the texture and flavor that fat provides in general (thinking of highly marbled/prime beef) and steer clear of leaner cuts - though I eat plenty of fish and chicken.

Tom

I don't remember hot breakfast items. Wouldn't be hot by the time it got there anyways. Just wear a robe down to breakfast like everyone else.

I think the only hot item they've (Carnival, breakfast room service) ever had was coffee.

Tom

i-RpgpKcX-L.jpg

i-4z6Ln5J-L.jpg

Tom

Just goes to show to each his own. IMHO those sandwiches look disgusting. But then I am not a big beef eater, nor do I like fat on my meat nor do I like mustard or horse radish (I think that is what that is on there). No cruise line can please everyone and I wouldn't expect them to. If Carnival no longer meets your wants and needs then choose another ship. No big deal. There are 2 things I don't think I will ever do. 1. Be loyal to one cruise line. 2. Rule out ever sailing on another cruise line again. Certain lines, like Princess, may not be my preference, but I wouldn't rule them out if they meet most of our wants and our budget.

Edited by Warm Breezes

That was one of the appealing factors for me. :) I like the texture and flavor that fat provides in general (thinking of highly marbled/prime beef) and steer clear of leaner cuts - though I eat plenty of fish and chicken.

Tom

Thanks for the picture. I always wondered if it was 'real' beef on those RCI sandwiches everyone raves about, or some sort of gray Arby's-like monstrosity. Those look awesome. (And yes, fat adds flavor. People who got indoctrinated during the low-fat years don't always realize this. Hence the raves for the greasy Guy's burgers.)

Edited by AdoraBelle

We've sailed Royal, Carnival and Princess. They all have their pros and cons - and I wouldn't rule out any one of them when looking at a cruise. We are platinum on Carnival and close to Platinum on Royal, but honestly don't book for the 'perks'. We look at the itinerary and overall price. Over the last couple of years, Royal has been better that Carnival, where we had deals for a Jr Suite with PPD Gratuities and some OBC for about what we would have paid for a similar itinerary on Carnival in a balcony. We also liked the different drink packages on Royal, but alas, those are gone I hear...

We haven't been on Princess for a while, as they haven't had anything that appealed to us. Loves their ships (especially those extended balconies), just haven't found a good deal when comparing to others.

Thanks for the picture. I always wondered if it was 'real' beef on those RCI sandwiches everyone raves about, or some sort of gray Arby's-like monstrosity. Those look awesome. (And yes, fat adds flavor. People who got indoctrinated during the low-fat years don't always realize this. Hence the raves for the greasy Guy's burgers.)

I bought into that for a period of time. I recall cutting back on eggs, butter. I recall Snackwells... talk about disgusting - cut the fat and add sugar (the totally wrong approach)!

Now I eat a couple of fried eggs each morning - with a large dollop of coconut oil. I also ditched the toast I used to associate with that (and the ketchup w/sugar lol).

It will take a couple more decades, but I'd suspect that eventually most doctors and nutritionists will be on the high fat/low carb bandwagon.

OK... off my dietary soapbox for now!

Tom

From my standpoint, Carnival was at its peak with the Spirit class of ships - aft corner suites with huge balconies and a two story Supper Club! Oh yes, the Supper Clubs - with their live music!

Tom

Even better when you have an aft PLUS the rear facing connecting room. Makes it a two bedroom suite with 2 bathrooms.

Sigh. The Supper Club. They had it right, till they made it wrong. And they're STILL a hard sell to the clientele of Carnival. In the end, we didn't even need a reservation.