Animals

Rjh8842

I am weary of booking any excursions with animals. I do not have a problem interacting with animals if I feel they are treated well. I have even been to Discovery Cove in Orlando many times to swim with the dolphins. But I know that there are more places that treat the animals badly than well. I am going to cozumel and they offer many different animal interactions. Including endangered animals like manatees and sea turtles. Also more common animals like dolphins and horses. My concern is if I chose an animal encounter and the animals do not seem happy and healthy I can not enjoy it. What have your expereinces been? Any places you found the animals to be well treated? Any place to avoid? Tia.

You might ask in the ports of call area of CC for more details from others. However something to keep in mind is that many countries outside of the USA don't have the same laws to protect wildlife.

In my own experience, the semi submersible sub tour of the coral reef in Cozumel is a great place to see lots of marine life without interfering with it.

We also did swim with the dolphins in Cozumel back in the day, and although the animals appear to be treated well they are being held in captivity. If you have already done Dolphin Cove, this would probably not be worthwhile to you.

Since Roatan is often on the itinerary before or after Cozumel, if you happen to go there I would recommend the nature park tour to see monkeys and tropical birds.

Animal threads will likely become like smoking and/or formalwear threads as more and more people turn against captive performing animals. It's happening at home with circuses ending animal performances and aquariums ending shows and breeding programs (some by force of law).

The only animal encounter I will participate in is Stingray City in Grand Cayman, because the rays are not captive, but free to come and go as they please. Even then, we humans have changed the natural order of things.

At home, I do not visit zoos nor will you ever find me anywhere near Sea World. Unfortunately, that also means no Busch Gardens and I love roller coasters!

I admit I struggle with cruising itself, as the cruise lines make money selling these excursions. I am not sure that just personally avoiding them is enough. Speaking out and sharing information will eventually bring changes.

That said, I'll never condemn or insult people who choose to do these things. Well, unless they ask! :)

I simply wouldn't support ANY "animal tourism"...I hate zoos...and I feel feeding wild animals isn't a good idea, either, as they come to depend on the food you're doling out...if something happens to you, poor, hungry animals!