Pre-Cruise Excursion in Vancouver

emjayel56

Hi all, I'm booked next May for a roundtrip Vancouver cruise. I am arriving 2 days prior to sailing in Vancouver and was wondering what you would recommend doing in Vancouver that I shouldn't miss. Thanks in advance.

Maryjo

We will be happy to share suggestions on how to keep you busy for pre-cruise.

Possible itinerary....

• Day 1 Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge
  • Day 2 Hop on Shuttle with emphasis to explore Stanley Park, Granville Island, and Gastown.

Post cruise or if you get additional days?

• Victoria? Whistler? Sea 2 Sky attractions?
  • Vanduzen? Queen Elizabeth Park?
  • Storybrooke?

To clarify....

• which sailing are you on? The long weekend may require some additional congestion planning.
  • What is your YVR arrival time? We can make suggestions to salvage that day too.

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Gcyt8Xdvsgs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by xlxo

We spent a week in Vancouver prior to our cruise and loved the city.

You only have two days, so I would skip going to Victoria and beautiful Butchart Gardens as well as Whistler.

One day take a city tour or the HoHo bus and enjoy Stanley Park, lots to do there. The Aquarium is great.

Another day do Grouse Mountain and the Capitano Suspension Bridge.

Hi, we are doing the same! Thanks for posting this MaryJo, not trying to hijack your post, but I have the same question!! :D

We are doing Vancouver to Seward next June and our flight comes in on Saturday arriving at 2:00pm. Cruise leaves Monday at 4:00pm(?).

Three things we want to do are Capilano Suspension Bridge, Grouse Mountain and the Aquarium...maybe see more of Stanley Park or something... Wasn't sure if there would be time to do much on Saturday, figure once we get to our hotel and all that it will be at least 4:00...but want to make the most of our time so any suggestions would be great!

Figured on Grouse Mountain and the bridge for Sunday, then wondered if we would have time on Monday pre-cruise to go to the Aquarium...??

Thoughts...

Day 0

• 2pm wheels down
  • 3:30pm hotel check-in
  • 4pm ready for sightseeting.....grab a Capilano hotel shuttle for a late afternoon exploration. The bridge is open until 8pm. However pay attention to the last downtown bus if you don't want to ride public transit
  • Return downtown in the evening at catch Fly Over Canada

Day 1

• Grouse Mountain with Capilano afterwards. if you missed it on your landing day. The Grouse Shuttle offers drop off at Capilano. You can return downtown on the free Capilano Shuttle. The Capilano shuttle can drop you off at near Stanley Park on the return trip.

Day 2

• Aquarium. Look up the show schedule the week before visiting to get best value for your visit.
  • Hop on Shuttles can get you to the aquarium. Hop on can take you to Granville Island and Gastown as it explores neighborhoods.

Day 3

Board ship. Get there around 11am or after 1pm to avoid the peak noon crowds.

Grouse Mountain and Aquarium is best done in the afternoon after an early lunch for best value to see all the shows.

Edited by xlxo

Thoughts...

Day 0

• 2pm wheels down
  • 3:30pm hotel check-in
  • 4pm ready for sightseeting.....grab a Capilano hotel shuttle for a late afternoon exploration. The bridge is open until 8pm. However pay attention to the last downtown bus if you don't want to ride public transit
  • Return downtown in the evening at catch Fly Over Canada

Day 1

• Grouse Mountain with Capilano afterwards. if you missed it on your landing day. The Grouse Shuttle offers drop off at Capilano. You can return downtown on the free Capilano Shuttle. The Capilano shuttle can drop you off at near Stanley Park on the return trip.

Day 2

• Aquarium. Look up the show schedule the week before visiting to get best value for your visit.
  • Hop on Shuttles can get you to the aquarium. Hop on can take you to Granville Island and Gastown as it explores neighborhoods.

Day 3

Board ship. Get there around 11am or after 1pm to avoid the peak noon crowds.

Grouse Mountain and Aquarium is best done in the afternoon after an early lunch for best value to see all the shows.

Thanks for the suggestions! However, we don't really have a day 2... Flight is in on Saturday, ship leaves on Monday...so just have rest of day on Saturday, all day Sunday then board ship on Monday... Was hoping to have a some time Monday before we board to do a little something...but may have to nix that....

Gastown and Chinatown are close to the cruise terminal - could easily drop your luggage and then walk to them - about 10 minutes to Gastown - it's our historic district - another five to 10 minutes to Chinatown.

Or you could walk along the Seawall towards Stanley Park and just enjoy the views and depending which side of Canada Place your ship is berthed get some pictures of it.

Just a couple of suggestions from a Vancouver native.

Cheers!

Dennis

We will be happy to share suggestions on how to keep you busy for pre-cruise.

Possible itinerary....

• Day 1 Grouse Mountain and Capilano Suspension Bridge
  • Day 2 Hop on Shuttle with emphasis to explore Stanley Park, Granville Island, and Gastown.

Post cruise or if you get additional days?

• Victoria? Whistler? Sea 2 Sky attractions?
  • Vanduzen? Queen Elizabeth Park?
  • Storybrooke?

To clarify....

• which sailing are you on? The long weekend may require some additional congestion planning.
  • What is your YVR arrival time? We can make suggestions to salvage that day too.

[YOUTUBE]ZLL6du--lQA[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]vIvtsz1b60Q[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]EvH_ROLyUZQ[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]Gcyt8Xdvsgs[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]rx-ClLHK3Yg[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]pJdkKFNLYOE[/YOUTUBE]

Thanks so much very helpful.. maryjo

Thanks for the suggestions! However, we don't really have a day 2... Flight is in on Saturday, ship leaves on Monday...so just have rest of day on Saturday, all day Sunday then board ship on Monday... Was hoping to have a some time Monday before we board to do a little something...but may have to nix that....
Hmm.... here's a revision...

Day 1

• 2pm wheels down
  • 3:30pm hotel check in
  • 4pm head over to Capilano shuttles
  • 6pm return downtown if you want the free shuttles. Otherwise enjoy the bridge until the 8pm closing.
  • 8pm Fly Over Canada

Day 2

• you need to think if you want to do Hop On w/ Aquarium or Grouse Mountain. Again, Aquarium and Grouse Mountain is best explored with the show schedule for best value.

Day 3

• early rise to cram in what you missed. Some delay their arrival at port until 1:30pm.

Hmm.... here's a revision...

Day 1

• 2pm wheels down
  • 3:30pm hotel check in
  • 4pm head over to Capilano shuttles
  • 6pm return downtown if you want the free shuttles. Otherwise enjoy the bridge until the 8pm closing.
  • 8pm Fly Over Canada

Day 2

• you need to think if you want to do Hop On w/ Aquarium or Grouse Mountain. Again, Aquarium and Grouse Mountain is best explored with the show schedule for best value.

Day 3

• early rise to cram in what you missed. Some delay their arrival at port until 1:30pm.

I would just do the Hop on Hop off shuttle. You will get a taste of Vancouver.

I hated the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Waste of time IMO.

I would just do the Hop on Hop off shuttle. You will get a taste of Vancouver.

I hated the Capilano Suspension Bridge. Waste of time IMO.

We had a two day ticket for the HoHo. One problem with it was that from our hotel in the downtown area, the bus went counterclockwise and to get to Chinatown and Gastown on the HoHo took a very long time. Also, we didn't need it for two days, recommend only one day if you do it.

You can walk to Stanley Park from CanadaPlace, also to Gastown and Chinatown.

The Capitano Suspension Bridge was not as exciting as I thought it would be. However, we enjoyed it, and it was not expensive. I think our senior tickets ran about $30 each.

We absolutely loved going to Capilano Suspension Bridge park on 9/24/16. Staff that day commented on it being one of the busiest days of the year and the crowds did not impact on how awesome the experience was.

There were 3 attractions there. A big suspension bridge over a river gorge, a board walk clamped high on giant cedar trees that allowed you to explore high above everything, and then a cliff walk style walk. We really enjoyed our day and hope to one day return to Vancouver so we can explore some of the other interesting choices.

We also watched the "Fly over Canada" movie. A nicely done Disney style movie, but just didn't impress us after seeing Glacier Bay upclose and personal by ship and flying over glaciers on an 8 passenger flightseeing. It was hard to top that with a movie.

I would also recommend the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain as the first tours you take. For our second day in Vancouver we did a bike tour with Cycle City bike tours. We started near Stanley park and saw the sea wall, went through park then hit Granville Island, China Town and Gastown and the Olympic village (probably not in that order). I realize a bike tour is not for everyone, but I felt like we hit all of the main landmarks in 4.5-5 hours.

If your time is limited, then walking Gastown and/or Chinatown is a good option.

I would also recommend the Capilano Suspension Bridge and Grouse Mountain as the first tours you take. For our second day in Vancouver we did a bike tour with Cycle City bike tours. We started near Stanley park and saw the sea wall, went through park then hit Granville Island, China Town and Gastown and the Olympic village (probably not in that order). I realize a bike tour is not for everyone, but I felt like we hit all of the main landmarks in 4.5-5 hours.

If your time is limited, then walking Gastown and/or Chinatown is a good option.

Hi, I'm planning a post-cruise stay in Vancouver. We get off the ship on a Saturday with free transfer to Westin Bayshore, probably getting to the hotel about 10 a.m.

Could you help me figure out what to do first, second, third, etc.

Listed by importance to us...

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Stanley Park

Aquarium

Of lessor importance but would still like to see..

The Canada Place 'Fly Over Canada'

Everything else! lol

We have available...Saturday 10 a.m. (?) until midnight, All of Sunday and Sunday night, and maybe 2-3 hours Monday morning before we catch our flight from Vancouver airport. I do like the idea of the HO-HO bus. We also have free transfer from our hotel to Vancouver airport, figuring we will be at the airport at noon on that Monday.

Any help from you or others would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by Nhsaltshaker

I'm not going to give an itinerary. :eek: Just name a couple things I think are fun/interesting in Vancouver.

Fly Over Canada - right on top of Canada Place. Super cool virtual reality ride that's pretty realistic. I've done it three times and still think it's cool. I also saw this on some other lists.

La Belle Patate, 1215 Davie St ( labellepatate.com ) - Have you ever had Poutine? The national dish of Canada! They have at least a couple dozen variations and it's fantastic here. Not right on your way anywhere but the neighborhood is interesting - there's even a large grocery store on one side and a large drug store in the next block if you need anything last minute before the cruise. If you were out walking around there is Sunset Beach Park and, a little further walking, is Stanley Park.

Tim Horton's - all over town (and Canada...) :) The ONLY thing I want there is their Honey Cruller donuts.

Have fun!

Hi, I'm planning a post-cruise stay in Vancouver. We get off the ship on a Saturday with free transfer to Westin Bayshore, probably getting to the hotel about 10 a.m.

Could you help me figure out what to do first, second, third, etc.

Listed by importance to us...

Grouse Mountain

Capilano Suspension Bridge

Stanley Park

Aquarium

Of lessor importance but would still like to see..

The Canada Place 'Fly Over Canada'

Everything else! lol

We have available...Saturday 10 a.m. (?) until midnight, All of Sunday and Sunday night, and maybe 2-3 hours Monday morning before we catch our flight from Vancouver airport. I do like the idea of the HO-HO bus. We also have free transfer from our hotel to Vancouver airport, figuring we will be at the airport at noon on that Monday.

Any help from you or others would be greatly appreciated!

Day 1/Saturday...

• check in to Bayshore
  • return to the cruise terminal to get the Grouse Mountain shuttle.
  • 4pm get on the Grouse return shuttle, but request to be dropped off at Capilano Suspension Bridge
  • 6pm catch one of the last return Capilano shuttles to the cruise terminal.
  • 7pm At the cruise terminal, go to the North end of the cruise terminal for Fly Over Canada

Day 2/Sunday

• Hop On shuttles with stops in Stanley Park, Aquarium and other neighborhoods.

Edited by xlxo

Day 1/Saturday...

• check in to Bayshore
  • return to the cruise terminal to get the Grouse Mountain shuttle.
  • 4pm get on the Grouse return shuttle, but request to be dropped off at Capilano Suspension Bridge
  • 6pm catch one of the last return Capilano shuttles to the cruise terminal.
  • 7pm At the cruise terminal, go to the North end of the cruise terminal for Fly Over Canada

Day 2/Sunday

• Hop On shuttles with stops in Stanley Park, Aquarium and other neighborhoods.

Thank you, I have been battling for months in my head...the timeline. Your input is very much appreciated!

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

You are welcome....

To clarify....

• Grouse and the Aquarium both has shows in the afternoon. It would be best to visit on separate days to get best value. Check the show schedules a few weeks before your trip to plan your days.
  • Capilano operates late into the evening and by going to Grouse and then Cap.... you can use their shuttles to your advantage.
  • Fly Over Canada operates until 9pm when the other attractions shut down.... you can see them at the end of the day when it's less busy.
  • Hop On goes to Stanley Park with stops at the Aquarium. Leverage this opportunity to maximize value and time.

Instead of checking into the Bayshore.... you also have the option of having CDS Baggage take your luggage to the hotel while you start your sightseeing early on the shuttles. For what CDS Baggage charges.... it's about the same cost of a cab and you save some time running around with the luggage.

Edited by xlxo

Most of the forum uses CDS to ship luggage to the airport. But for the same price, they also ship luggage to a hotel.

CDS can be busy when a cruise ship docks... but your time may be more valuable in not running back and forth to a hotel.