Wondering what happens with Port Canaveral being Closed

MLW070

FLL Airport is closed until further notice.

I'm watching Port Nassau webcam, It just came back up after a couple hours offline. Can't see the trees from the current angle, but the rain is finally starting to come in.

I don't understand how anyone can even be hoping to go to Freeport right now. Are you not watching the storm that is moving through the Bahamas at the moment? This is devastating to them. Freeport is one of the main islands that they brought stuck tourist and residents to for shelter to try and survive this killer storm. It's flooded with people trying to just live and all anyone can think of is I hope our cruise can leave so we can go party there? Seriously?

I could see Carnival doing a cruise to no where but I don't understand how they can even consider a cruise to Freeport at the moment even if it totally misses FL so they could get out of port, which it will not. We are not the only people that matter, the people in the other places matter too and many of them are having their lives, homes and businesses destroyed right now.

Give them a little time to recover, they haven't even made it through the storm yet. Geez

Dont' get me wrong, I understand the disappointment of a missed vacation/cruise, I've been there, but keep it in perspective. People are losing their lives, their homes etc. your vacation is not high on the priority list. I'm sure you can find something to do land to entertain yourself. No it won't be the same but if you keep a good attitude you'll have a good time and I guarantee you'll have it better than those in the path of the storm. Take the refund Carnival offers and book another cruise later.

We were in GT right after Ike demolished it. It looked like a war zone. Still to this day ,I see this little girl peering out of a demolished house waving at me.

:(

Yes we arrived by a Carnival ship .

Best hope is sea days

to all those in the path of Matthew you're in my prayers and thoughts.

We decided to ride it out.. two fur babies that are my children..

Back at you. We're in Melbourne, riding it out. And it just got upgraded to a Cat 4. 140 MPH winds.

Edited by put me on a ship

Stay safe everyone! That is the most important. To everyone else, I don't think you will be sailing out of Port Canavaral anytime soon. I just heard that the eye of the storm will hit very close to the Atlantic side of Florida.

Actually, I don't think Florida would like all the cruisers flying in today and tomorrow.

Pray for those folks in the Bahamas and the people in Haiti with no homes...Grand Turk didn't get hit but I am sure there were some damages.

yes.. cat4 we are Daytona/Port Orange area.. near the beach.

Nobody knows where it will hit.. Only the man above us..

Back at you. We're in Melbourne, riding it out. And it just got upgraded to a Cat 4. 140 MPH winds.
Edited by rjrice1

I don't understand how anyone can even be hoping to go to Freeport right now. Are you not watching the storm that is moving through the Bahamas at the moment? This is devastating to them. Freeport is one of the main islands that they brought stuck tourist and residents to for shelter to try and survive this killer storm.

The day or maybe 2 after the storm hits the skys will be blue and the winds gentle. The islands take in huge amounts of $$ in port fees from each ship that docks there. They will need funds for recovery.

Royal Caribbean has the private beach area in Labidee Haiti. After the earthquakes in Haiti a couple of years ago the Hatians wanted the RC ships and the $$ they brought for the recovery efforts.

Just a thought ... :o

I don't understand how anyone can even be hoping to go to Freeport right now. Are you not watching the storm that is moving through the Bahamas at the moment? This is devastating to them. Freeport is one of the main islands that they brought stuck tourist and residents to for shelter to try and survive this killer storm. It's flooded with people trying to just live and all anyone can think of is I hope our cruise can leave so we can go party there? Seriously?

I could see Carnival doing a cruise to no where but I don't understand how they can even consider a cruise to Freeport at the moment even if it totally misses FL so they could get out of port, which it will not. We are not the only people that matter, the people in the other places matter too and many of them are having their lives, homes and businesses destroyed right now.

Give them a little time to recover, they haven't even made it through the storm yet. Geez

Dont' get me wrong, I understand the disappointment of a missed vacation/cruise, I've been there, but keep it in perspective. People are losing their lives, their homes etc. your vacation is not high on the priority list. I'm sure you can find something to do land to entertain yourself. No it won't be the same but if you keep a good attitude you'll have a good time and I guarantee you'll have it better than those in the path of the storm. Take the refund Carnival offers and book another cruise later.

Well said! And remember, YOU chose to book during hurricane season.

Yes everyone be safe. We evacuated from the treasure coast and was fortunate that we left early and have a spot in an rv park. At this point I think they are turning away about 2 rv's an hour as they are full. I never thought or dreamed about a situation like that. Be safe vacations can be rescheduled you cant.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Interstate 16 out of Savannah, GA will be converted to westbound traffic only....in the next hour. I imagine some FL interstates will be converted to westbound as well.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to reach Port Canaveral due to traffic restrictions. In the hours after the storm....law enforcement will attempt to thwart the looters by limiting access to affected areas.

I just don't think that getting to Port Canaveral is logical or doable.

Stay safe ya'll.

I live (and was raised) in the Panhandle of Florida. I've been through enough hurricanes to know that if they tell you to evacuate, then do so. I keep reading where people intend to ride it out. I keep reading how people (cruisers) are disappointed in what Carnival is offering for those affected by Matthew.

I just dont get it.

Sure, I'd be disappointed if my cruise was cancelled or we didnt get to a port due to a storm. But I have enough empathy for people on these islands who will have it far worse than I if they get hit with a hurricane. And then we wonder why a lot of these islanders have a disdain for cruise ships coming into port; whether cruisers contribute to their economy or not.

Stay safe!!

I will say, that I have been impressed with our governor (and not a fan of him) and how proactive he has been and what he is saying. Sitting outside near an interstate we saw a line of electric trucks getting on the interstate, trooper and other persons already deployed to locations near by ready to move in and help when storm passes.

I also liked what he said which was something to the effect if you didn't heed all the warnings and numerous times you were told to evacuate don't expect to be rescued until the danger has passed he wasn't putting all the people ready to provide help and aid at risk.

Have patience folks...

I will say, that I have been impressed with our governor (and not a fan of him) and how proactive he has been and what he is saying. Sitting outside near an interstate we saw a line of electric trucks getting on the interstate, trooper and other persons already deployed to locations near by ready to move in and help when storm passes.

I also liked what he said which was something to the effect if you didn't heed all the warnings and numerous times you were told to evacuate don't expect to be rescued until the danger has passed he wasn't putting all the people ready to provide help and aid at risk.

Have patience folks...

Interstate 16 out of Savannah, GA will be converted to westbound traffic only....in the next hour. I imagine some FL interstates will be converted to westbound as well.

I think you'd be hard-pressed to reach Port Canaveral due to traffic restrictions. In the hours after the storm....law enforcement will attempt to thwart the looters by limiting access to affected areas.

I just don't think that getting to Port Canaveral is logical or doable.

Stay safe ya'll.

I agree with this. Even if traffic is opened up on Saturday its possibly going to be so bad with everyone filtering back in traffic will be slammed

I just wish Carnival would take this into consideration and inform us.

I agree with this. Even if traffic is opened up on Saturday its possibly going to be so bad with everyone filtering back in traffic will be slammed

I just wish Carnival would take this into consideration and inform us.

I think they will, looking to hear by tomorrow that cruises have been cancel

I think PC will reopen as soon as the storm passes and allow the cruise to continue. You will be cursing , it just becomes a shorter cruise.

It's not a Canceled cruise by Carnival until you receive a notice from Carnival via email or their website. I would be on the horn with carnival for explanations.

There going to be rain...and.wind...big rain...big wind...cows flying though the air big wind...and then sun will shine.

I think they will, looking to hear by tomorrow that cruises have been cancel

I suspect the Magic will leave Miami on time on Saturday...

BUT...your problem is GETTING to Miami from North Carolina...

You have to drive as the storm up the coast tomorrow...

and then, if the storm is safely by, you have to drive with 11 million other

people who are headed home...

If flying, not sure when the airports will open, but how many people are currently stranded and can not get flights into Florida...

I hope Carnival will give you some options...ie shortened cruise leaving on Sunday or full refund....

If flying, not sure when the airports will open, but how many people are currently stranded and can not get flights into Florida...

I hope Carnival will give you some options...ie shortened cruise leaving on Sunday or full refund....

At this point I think shortened cruise leaving Sunday would be best and I would be okay with that. Trying to make arrangements to drive from Atlanta to Port Canaveral to be there Saturday sounds like its going to be more difficult.

I thought about that too, that it would leave Miami and not Port Canaveral, but not sure that would work for us. I would not want to drive through a recovering FL from NC by Saturday for all the reasons you stated, so if they cancelled or offer a refund, we will be taking it!!!

Now if they are able to leave Port Canaveral on Sunday or Monday I would reconsider the shorter cruise.

I am thankful that we did not fly this time as we always fly in a day earlier with non refundable flights. :eek:

Sure, I'd be disappointed if my cruise was cancelled or we didnt get to a port due to a storm. But I have enough empathy for people on these islands who will have it far worse than I if they get hit with a hurricane. And then we wonder why a lot of these islanders have a disdain for cruise ships coming into port; whether cruisers contribute to their economy or not.

Huge percentages of the people who live on those islands are involved in the tourism industry. They are not wealthy and will not be able to make repairs and buy food and water without an infusion of cash from their tourists.

Yes, I have a huge amount of empathy but I also understand that folks who are not wealthy NEED $$$. No, the ships shouldn't go until the population of the island says "come on" ... but once they do lots and lots of American cash will happily be infused into the economies and personal pockets of those who need it. We've never felt disdain from islanders but we always treat them with respect and friendliness and get the same in return.