Wondering what happens with Port Canaveral being Closed

MLW070

Live in Port Orange... off of Nova Rd. (close to the ocean and I-95) still have electric ... neighbors across the street don't.

When we do lose it we will turn on the generator.

Yes we aren't the smartest ones... live in a newer manufacture home..

Very very windy and bands of rain... Will keep everyone updated..

Stay indoors and safe, good to hear and thanks - half of Brevard County, including Coca and Melbourne have lost electricity ("Put me on a Ship" is probably offline) - oops, be extra careful running that portable generator ... adequate & properly vented, etc.

Overnight, first responder in the impacted coastal FL area deemed it unsafe to answer emergency calls in the evacuation zone due to the hurricane's arrival ... overnight curfew was imposed; and, the worst is not over uncept for those further south toward the Miami area. West wall of the storm is now passing over Port Canaveral and the eye of the storm is approaching Daytona Beach ... 500 miles of coastal U.S.

Even when PC reopened and nearby airports reopen - it will take the airlines time to fully restore flight ops and get their planes reunited with rested crews to begin flying; and, FLL needs to be cleared by T.S.A. for security purposes.

Debris, downed power & utility lines will be commonplace just about everywhere and gas stations will likely need to wait for fuel delivery to resume.

There are quick, live updated tweets using the hashtag #matthew - as of an hour ago, Cocoa Beach, FL still getting pounded with near hurricane force wind

Edited by mking8288

Thank you. Our generator is hooked to the main breaker box..

but like I said all I have on is the fridges, freezer, ceiling fans, one tv and of course my laptop for communication

Stay indoors and safe, good to hear and thanks - half of Brevard County, including Coca and Melbourne have lost electricity ("Put me on a Ship" is probably offline) - oops, be extra careful running that portable generator ... adequate & properly vented, etc.

Overnight, first responder in the impacted coastal FL area deemed it unsafe to answer emergency calls in the evacuation zone due to the hurricane's arrival ... overnight curfew was imposed; and, the worst is not over uncept for those further south toward the Miami area. West wall of the storm is now passing over Port Canaveral and the eye of the storm is approaching Daytona Beach ... 500 miles of coastal U.S.

Even when PC reopened and nearby airports reopen - it will take the airlines time to fully restore flight ops and get their planes reunited with rested crews to begin flying; and, FLL needs to be cleared by T.S.A. for security purposes.

Debris, downed power & utility lines will be commonplace just about everywhere and gas stations will likely need to wait for fuel delivery to resume.

Like a PP, we were scheduled to sail out of PC on the Disney Magic when it was interrupted by Hurricane Jeanne in 2004. We were supposed to sail on Saturday. Our flight was Friday, and we had a room booked on Disney property for that night. Prior to our flight on Friday, we were told that the cruise would be delayed until Monday. We scrambled to find a room to ride out the storm (stayed at Nick Suites. They did an awesome job with the storm). We made it through the Cat 1, then found out that PC was closed due to too much sand in the channels. Disney bused us from the airport to Fort Lauderdale on Monday. Embarkation was a disaster, but they were doing the best they could. We had a shortened cruise, and many changed ports. Disney offered us $300 per person OBC, and a percentage (can't remember amount since I didn't use it) off a future sailing.

The people coming off the extended Jeanne cruise said they did run out of some things like fresh fruits, but that they had plenty of food and alcohol.

I have a friend that is scheduled to leave out of Port Canaveral tomorrow on the Carnival Magic. *They live about 12 hours away and all the flights have been canceled into Orlando. We know that Royal Caribbean has canceled their Saturday sailing and Disney has postponed theirs until Sunday. *But Carnival is telling them on their website that all is still on schedule for Saturday with the Magic. *But we know what has just happened down there. *Realistically, *I wonder what the chances are that this ship will leave on scheduled time at 4:00pm Saturday?

be safe, Do you have a disconnect so that you're not back feeding the grid?

Thank you. Our generator is hooked to the main breaker box..

but like I said all I have on is the fridges, freezer, ceiling fans, one tv and of course my laptop for communication

Yes.. the whole house power we shut off. Just the generator is running the whole place.

People across the street has a very old mobile home and their carport is down.

But we knew that was going happen.

It is so windy here.. omg I am petite and you could wrap a string around fly me like a kite..

Again everyone stay safe and please stay off the roads. I see people actually driving on my roads to look.. but on the news they are on the roads..

For those cruising soon.. hope you all have a great time

be safe, Do you have a disconnect so that you're not back feeding the grid?
Edited by rjrice1

I'm back!!! The storm wobbled to the east a bit, so we did not get hit quite as hard as expected. Our power just came back on!!:D:D:D

No damage to our house. Our screen room for the pool is fine. No trees down...some of our neighbors lost some small trees (we live in a new development, so not many big trees). Looks like a couple neighbors lost a few shingles, and some fencing. We haven't driven around yet, still getting some gusty winds, but overall, I think we were VERY lucky.

I haven't heard anything about Port Canaveral yet.

Haha!! Wish I could...didn't sleep much last night.

Currently, causeways in Brevard County are closed, until they are determined to be safe.

Also noticed the Fishlips cam took quite the beating ,so did the building.

Glad to hear y'all made it through safe!

We're sitting up here watching and waiting to see what's going to happen. As a LEO and volunteer fireman, everyone in this storms path has my thoughts and prayers. Yes, I hope PC opens back up by Sunday and the good Lord sees fit for us to be able to make our cruise, but I also understand that it might not happen. If it doesn't I think we're just going to cancel and rebook for later this year.

What everyone needs to remember is safety comes first. I really want to go on a cruise for vacation, but I'd lots rather spend next week at work than in a hospital because I went into an unsafe situation.

Haha!! Wish I could...didn't sleep much last night.

Currently, causeways in Brevard County are closed, until they are determined to be safe.

Glad to know that utility crews are out there doing the restoration under very challenging conditions, and loss of lives in the US from Matthew are minimal to none so far.

Until the causeways are inspected and safe for use, there are no access into the port area ? where there are likely some damages done.

sent from Nexus 5X on Nougat 7.0 via Tapatalk, VPN secured

I'm back!!! The storm wobbled to the east a bit, so we did not get hit quite as hard as expected. Our power just came back on!!:D:D:D

No damage to our house. Our screen room for the pool is fine. No trees down...some of our neighbors lost some small trees (we live in a new development, so not many big trees). Looks like a couple neighbors lost a few shingles, and some fencing. We haven't driven around yet, still getting some gusty winds, but overall, I think we were VERY lucky.

I haven't heard anything about Port Canaveral yet.

Wasn't the wobble great?:D What a difference it made as far as destruction.

We too survived. Lots of limbs down. Few of my trees but no major damage. Fence down.. but need to get a new one anyways.

Mailbox down the street..no biggie..

We are alive and survived. Generator works great. No cable but watching the old Monster shows... haha. (sad tells you how old I am..)

Still some bands of the hurricane but for the most part we are good.

Now further down there is flooding and more damage. Prayers to them

We're further inland, were prepared for a Cat 1 hit but got a moderate tropical storm--at best. Oddly it seems the wind has picked up a bit again, but not enough to be at all worrisome. Friends report no damage to a tree down in the yard (house and cars not affected) to a fence down to some screen panels blown out, but nothing major.

I have a friend in JVille who I am hoping is OK. The water is already up over her bulkhead and the worst won't get there for a few hours yet. :(

The causeway here is flooded; a famous fish place "Aunt Catfish" has lots of damage...

Just thanking god that we did not got hit as hard as they thought we were.

Hoping everyone recovers from Matthew quickly

Just Called the Port Canaveral Info Number -

As of 4pm today (Friday October 7th) -

The port will remain closed to visitors and travelers until at least 12 noon tomorrow. (Saturday October 8th)

They are under assessment and employees, staff and working contractors are allowed to enter the port at this time.

If you are cruising and it hasn't yet been canceled, wish you the best of luck. The weather should be fantastic :)

-Sean

We are sitting in Clearwater Beach. We are supposed to sail on the magic tomorrow. Just received this from carnival

Update for Carnival Magic - Hurricane Matthew has now passed the Port Canaveral area and officials will be completing their post storm assessments as soon as conditions are safe. If the port reopens tomorrow, we plan to operate our scheduled itinerary. We will provide you another update after 10:00 AM Saturday regarding embarkation times.

This is getting a bit frustrating... We have a friend onboard the magic this week and she just told us they were just sitting down near the tip of Florida waiting. She said she would update us as soon as they tell her something. We have no idea what to do in the morning, as we have to be out of our room here in Clearwater. I have a feeling if this cruise does happen it will be the least crowded cruise we have ever been on.

We are sitting in Clearwater Beach. We are supposed to sail on the magic tomorrow. Just received this from carnival

Update for Carnival Magic - Hurricane Matthew has now passed the Port Canaveral area and officials will be completing their post storm assessments as soon as conditions are safe. If the port reopens tomorrow, we plan to operate our scheduled itinerary. We will provide you another update after 10:00 AM Saturday regarding embarkation times.

This is getting a bit frustrating... We have a friend onboard the magic this week and she just told us they were just sitting down near the tip of Florida waiting. She said she would update us as soon as they tell her something. We have no idea what to do in the morning, as we have to be out of our room here in Clearwater. I have a feeling if this cruise does happen it will be the least crowded cruise we have ever been on.

Insane. Carnival just gets brain freeze as soon as a problem crops up. They should've let you cancel without penalty, yesterday, or the day before.

Yay!! From Port Canaveral's official page:

PORT CANAVERAL COMPLETES DAMAGE ASSESSMENTS AND PREPARED FOR REOPENING TOMORROW AFTERNOON PORT CANAVERAL, FL—October 7, 2016 –

Hurricane Matthew brought high winds and rain overnight, but left behind minimal damage at Port Canaveral, paving the way to resume full operations tomorrow afternoon pending U.S. Coast Guard Captain of the Port approval.

"We are fortunate that our cruise terminals, cargo piers, and infrastructure are intact and ready to support our customers as soon as we have the green light tomorrow from the U.S. Coast Guard," said Port Canaveral CEO John Murray.

Carnival, Disney, and Royal Caribbean cruise ships are expected to return tomorrow afternoon.

Port assessment teams spent the entire day surveying facilities and ensuring there were no obstacles to reopening the harbor and landside operations. Florida Gov. Rick Scott was in the area during part of the day for a firsthand look at the storm's impact.

Initial assessments show Port Canaveral harbor is navigable with no obstructions. Cargo piers remain intact with minimal damage to cruise terminals. Some Port tenants experienced some damage to their properties.

To assist our community with recovery from Hurricane Matthew, the Canaveral Port Authority is providing 80-100,000 square feet of space in the new Port Canaveral Logistics Center in Titusville to the American Red Cross to store relief supplies to help those who need assistance in the aftermath of the storm.