Is the Aurea experience worth it?

lisamarieh

We are booked in a Fantastica balcony for our upcoming cruise. Today, an Aurea balcony became available on the MSC website and I am seriously considering upgrading but I wonder for the extra $1200, is it worth it? The available cabin is #12003. Does anyone know anything about this cabin as I hate to give up the one we are in (#9145 with a double length balcony) if this cabin isn't desirable. Which drink package comes with the Aurea experience and does it include the mini bar in the cabin? Any advise is greatly appreciated!!

I can buy a drink package cheaper than that. I am just curious about the other "perks" such as the entrance to the thermal spa and the sun deck. Are these things that people enjoy doing or you do it once and that is enough? Is the anytime dining where I can show up anytime during the dinner hours and be served or do I still have to pick early or late seating? Trying to do all of my homework before I spend the extra money but realistically the cabin will probably be sold by morning!!!

If a slightly better appointed cabin with bath and walk-in wardrobe, unlimited access to both the thermal suite and private sun deck, included Allegrissimo, a massage, a gift of a room diffuser and a small pouch containing toiletries (retails @ €36 and €14 respectively in logo shop) and Anytime dining are worth $1200 to you, then go for it. Personally I would regard that as way over the top for the upgrade. For Med cruises the difference is usually about €300pp more - now that's more reasonable. Allegrissimo costs €182pp for a seven night cruise ($315 on Divina).

Apart from the slightly bigger cabin and Anytime dining, you can purchase all of the above for a lot cheaper than $1200!!

I had Anytime dining on a recent cruise and two couples we befriended were assigned to a table which they shared with one other couple and were advised that that was their table for the duration of the cruise and that they had 'Early seating'. How prevalent across the fleet that is I can't say. Here is what was stated in the daily planner:

Aurea guests

myChoice Dining - For bookings and full information, drop by the myChoice Reservation Desk from 9:00 to 11: or simply call ........ from your cabin during reservation hours.

Edited by Beamafar

We had an Aurea suite on the Opera last May and it was very very nice. Then being able to have free drinks, water, coffee, soft drinks, cocktails, whisky, etc. at any bar on the ship was also nice. We stocked our minibar with our favorite soft drinks as well. The MyChoice dining was great. The first evening the maitre asked where we'd like to sit (a table at the aft windows, thank you) and the preferred hour, and that was where we were for the entire cruise, also with the same waiter. The little extras were worth it.

Now in a week, we're booked on the Musica also in an Aurea suite and looking forward to the same treatment. Aurea isn't Yacht Club but on the smaller MSC ships it's the best thing going.

Thank you for the responses and as I thought last night, the cabin has been bought so the Aurea balconies are all sold out. I think the wiser decision is to just purchase a drink package and the massages and saw the rest for souveniers!!

I had the same questions (still do) when I upgraded from a Fantastica Balcony to an Aurea Suite on the Divina. I am actually not a drinker so I had to cut that out of the equation. We will take advantage of all the other types of drink that will be available to us. My main reason for switching was the kids. My kids are 16 and 14 but are taller than I am (5'7") and our last cruise the space became an issue. I was able to get the corner Aurea Suite that is much larger than the other suites. The difference in price after all discounts (TA, Teacher discount, and OBC) for us is $900. I still look do a mock booking and still think about the extra cash however I cannot see myself giving up that corner cabin.

What I like about the "Aurea Experience"

1. Cabin size

2. Kids will enjoy their soft drinks (this is part of the Fantastica experience as well)

3. Free Massage

4. Access to Spa

5. Designated Dining area

6. My choice dining (I like this because I always find myself rushing prior to dinner time to get ready when coming back from ports)