Life boat drill departing San Juan NCL GEM

rye_guy81

Hey, just wondering we are sailing on the Gem out of San Juan, just wondering since we depart at 9pm what time do they do the drill usually? just wondering as we bought the specialty dining and didn't want our seating to be interrupted by going to the drill, thanks

Hey, just wondering we are sailing on the Gem out of San Juan, just wondering since we depart at 9pm what time do they do the drill usually? just wondering as we bought the specialty dining and didn't want our seating to be interrupted by going to the drill, thanks

wondering same thing ...thanks for asking!

Edited by katfer
wrong word

They do it early. From what I understand as soon as every passenger is onboard. So probably around 4.

If the ship departs at 9pm, all aboard time is a lot later than "around 4". No way all passengers are onboard yet at that time.

FWIW, Celebrity Summit from San Juan has the muster drill in the middle of the dinner service (between early and late traditional seatings) - they just shut down also restaurants just like every cruise line shuts down bars.

If the ship departs at 9pm, all aboard time is a lot later than "around 4". No way all passengers are onboard yet at that time.

FWIW, Celebrity Summit from San Juan has the muster drill in the middle of the dinner service (between early and late traditional seatings) - they just shut down also restaurants just like every cruise line shuts down bars.

Depart time is 4, so it should be well over by dinnertime.

... Gem out of San Juan, just wondering since we depart at 9pm what time do they do the drill usually? ...

Depart time is 4, so it should be well over by dinnertime.

As OP stated and as usual, cruises from San Juan often depart only later in the evening instead of mid-afternoon.

Just to clear one thing up, my cruise doc's give the departure time as 9:00 PM, and boarding concludes two hours prior to that. So all aboard by 7:00 PM, lifeboat drill immediately following would be a likely plan? I recall the last time we cruised aboard a Jewell class ship, the Jade in Europe, we gathered in the theater for the drill which laster 20 minutes or so. So that would be doable before sailaway.;)

Just to clear one thing up, my cruise doc's give the departure time as 9:00 PM, and boarding concludes two hours prior to that. So all aboard by 7:00 PM, lifeboat drill immediately following would be a likely plan? I recall the last time we cruised aboard a Jewell class ship, the Jade in Europe, we gathered in the theater for the drill which laster 20 minutes or so. So that would be doable before sailaway.;)

Can you update here when the muster drill was held? We are on the Gem couple of weeks after you are and may need to change our 7:00 dinner reservation.

The location of the muster depends on the location of your cabin. On the Sun we were out on deck under the lifeboats. On the Pearl, we were in the large MDR with many other groups.

Edited by herdingdogmom

I asked this question too a few months ago, and someone posted then that the NCL European cruises (that also depart at 9pm) had two muster drills- one on embarkation day around 4:00 (or safely before the dinner service starts), and then one the next morning. I am assuming this will be true for our SJU departures as well- since there isn't "early" and "late" scheduled dining to stick it in between like other lines, it would be a real mess to close all the dining venues for a half hour.