Hurricane Damage

Atocha Shipwreck Gal

If anyone can provide information as to damage the island may have suffered from Hurricane Matthew, that would be great. Nothing seems to be in their local paper but am not sure if they have power to update. Will be going there in December in two months and am hoping the port will be open.

We're there in mid January. I didn't find anything on a search either. The on line weekly for Turks Caicos comes out on Mondays so maybe something will pop up then. I think Matthew was shifting to the northwest after Haiti and only the outer bands affected GT. But not certain.

Pay attention to reviews or itinerary changes in the next week or so for Carnival and HAL ships, that should give you an idea if the port is open and maybe a review or two will follow up on what others found.

Blue Water Divers posted this on their FB page...

To all of our friends expressing concern about Hurricane Matthew: Thank you! Luckily we were not in the direct path... and in true Grand Turk style there was not even a drop of rain, but a beautiful sunset!

Our thoughts go out to all those who were not as lucky as we were this time.

The cruise we leave for on Sunday, has changed to Grand Turk only, dropping Nassau and Freeport,

Yes, Nassau and Freeport sustained considerable damage, especially Freeport and all of Grand Bahama Island. Some reports imply that Freeport might not be fully up and running for another month, or two in some cases.

I just got back from Grand Turk and can confirm that there was no damage there. It is still my single favorite port to visit, especially on a budget.