Taking irons on board: a cautionary tale

tiggis

Gosh, I knew I would put my head above the parapet when I mentioned this story!

Thank you Fantasy for your encouraging words and I chuckled at the idea of the steward prancing around with it on his head Toad!

As to others my nightdress was neither a frilly negligee nor a harvest festival ( all safely gathered in)...... just a bog standard knee length jersey nightie from Denepbenhams.......no one was more surprised than me that I hadn't noticed it stuffed in the lampshade...

I don't treat the cabin stewards like 'a lady's maid' , in fact I make the bed and put the nightie in it every morning but they remake it 'properly' ........

All my intimate apparel ( fortunately I don't need underpinning) is safely put away Bananavan although there is nothing to shop the cabin steward from opening the wardrobe door and having a look..........

When I was on the QM2 two weeks ago, I wore a pair of trousers with small pink flowers teamed with a T shirt. I thought they looked great. After changing in the evening, I put my trousers and T shirt on the sofa. When I returned to my room after dinner I saw the steward had laid them on the bed, he thought they were my pyjamas!!!!!!!!

When I was on the QM2 two weeks ago, I wore a pair of trousers with small pink flowers teamed with a T shirt. I thought they looked great. After changing in the evening, I put my trousers and T shirt on the sofa. When I returned to my room after dinner I saw the steward had laid them on the bed, he thought they were my pyjamas!!!!!!!!

I'm sure they looked fine Olliesmum but that did make me chuckle!

At least they weren't stuffed in the lampshade ;-)

I'm sure they looked fine Olliesmum but that did make me chuckle!

At least they weren't stuffed in the lampshade ;-)

Ok, as long as we're sharing experiences....

For one of my earlier QM2 cruises, I bought what I thought was a very nice looking black silk pajama set; good for lounging, and heaven forbid a call to muster station in the middle of the night.

So...one the second night of the cruise, Hubby and I return to the cabin. And there is the black pajama set layed out on the bed. I thought it looked like a funeral Viet Cong uniform layed out that way, but my husband's reaction was "What, who did this? Someone touched your night clothes!!!" Now that really surprised me. Rather sweet, I thought, after all these years of marriage.

Anyway, I agree with fantasy51 - best to hang night garments on the hook in the cabin bath, covered by the supplied bath robe.

On a serious note: I'm sure we have all read about people who suffer from pyromania. I'm sorry that I mentioned "hot nighties" in response to a steward stuffing a night dress between the light bulb and the lamp shade. That's not a funny thing to do, and I should not have made light of it.

My first reaction upon reading about the nightdress stuffed into the lampshade.........I don't believe for a moment that he intentionally stuffed it into the lampshade.......rather, he might have carelessly tossed it onto the shade and it caved down into itself. And then, out of sight, out of mind.

Not exactly how I want my things treated and yes, I can see where it would still haunt you, Allbobs. But I agree with Fantasy.....I think you handled it exactly right for the reasons Fantasy stated.

Salacia.....I remember about the shirt on the lampshade. Unfortunately...my memory is exactly the same as yours. Yes, when I choose my nightwear for the ship...it's always with the thought of having to evacuate the cabin in the middle of the night. Sexy wouldn't do.....too much pride for flannel.....don't want to freeze....so I end up with something in the middle. :)

Yes, when I choose my nightwear for the ship...it's always with the thought of having to evacuate the cabin in the middle of the night. Sexy wouldn't do.....too much pride for flannel.....don't want to freeze....so I end up with something in the middle. :)

It has never occurred to me to actually TAKE any nightwear! I must go and buy some as I don't actually own any!

Bellboy

On our one and only cruise From Southampton in 2012 after checking in our luggage and arriving at the check-in desk I was asked to attend at the luggage loading area as there was a suspicious item in one of our cases.

It was the Skean Dhu I wear with my Kilt, it was removed from the case and retained at Southampton until our return.

I would have no worries about the security arrangements at Southampton.

I wonder when Cunard is going to start confiscating Samsung Galaxy Note 7's from passengers
I read that, from 4pm today (Saturday 15th October), the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will be banned from all flights within or to/from the United States.

The ban includes, so I understand, all such devices whether they are in hand luggage, carried on the person, or in checked/hold luggage.

Being witched off makes no difference to the ban, so I read.

It has never occurred to me to actually TAKE any nightwear! I must go and buy some as I don't actually own any!

Nor do I but a pair of shorts and t shirt somewhere I can grab the, or if a cooler clime track pants and sloppy joe.

I read that, from 4pm today (Saturday 15th October), the Samsung Galaxy Note 7 will be banned from all flights within or to/from the United States.

The ban includes, so I understand, all such devices whether they are in hand luggage, carried on the person, or in checked/hold luggage.

Being witched off makes no difference to the ban, so I read.

According to friends who left on the QE last week, it was mentioned as part of the Captains safety briefing, (or could have been Noon-day briefing) well before this weeks announcement, 'not to charge them and please remove the battery'.

Apparently my friends had no idea what the Captain was talking about

Good to see Cunard are Pro active .;)

Edited by Bell Boy

According to friends who left on the QE last week, it was mentioned as part of the Captains safety briefing, (or could have been Noon-day briefing) well before this weeks announcement, 'not to charge them and please remove the battery'.

Cunard also published about the Samsung Galaxy 7 phone in the Daily programme last Month on QM2 advising to switch off and place in safe in stateroom for duration of journey.

FullSizeRender.jpg.59249dd8a67bbd7c7df654d34a1dc4c7.jpg

Edited by Pennbank

I believe removing the battery is a major operation beyond many users.

David.