REVIEW- Sept/Oct QM2 NYC-Quebec City from "younger" eyes

mtsublueraider

We just got home from our seven night journey on the QM2. First... a little perspective.

We've cruised a handful of times before, but that's only on Royal Caribbean. Secondly, we were (by far) the youngest couple on the ship that we could tell. In our mid-thirties we knew we would be on the younger side but we were actually surprised to see how much younger we were than the rest of the crowd.

This trip served as our final "huzzah" before our second child is welcomed into this world.

We couldn't wait to board the ship. To be honest, I'd always wanted to sail with Cunard but the price seemed to get in our way. However, it seems like it's gotten more competative. Because of Zika we wouldnt' want to go to the caribbean like we've always done and since the dates worked we decided to jump in and board the QM2! ONLY THEN did I realize about the remastering.

We booked one of the interior cabins on Deck 13 that had just been installed. Without going through all the details we ended up being upgraded and booked into a sheltered balcony.

The good news is that the CC group we were part of did a wonderful cabin crawl and I was able to see an interior, obstructed, and a few other rooms. Whatever your budget is you'll be FINE on this ship. Simply beautiful, plenty of storage, and very clean.

I'm going to do a few thoughts on a few other topics and would be happy to answer any questions you may have.....

Boarding the ship

The GPS directions to get you to the Brooklyn terminal may not get you exactly where you need to go. And, due to the nature of the terminal there's quite a large bottleneck and line to get to the terminal. We stayed in Manhatten the night before and it cost about $25 on Uber and took about 20 minutes through the tunnel to get there. Once dropped off our bags were taken and we mistakenly got in the WRONG line... HA!

We were in the line to grab a taxi out of the port instead of going inside to get in the line for the ship. Rookie mistake!

The waiting area inside was clean and we really thought it ran quite smootly. However, it seemed that EVERYONE around us was complaining about how long it took. If you've EVER had to stand in line at an airport it was quite the same. But honestly, the amount of complaining I heard throughout the week was quite disturbing and, from my perspective, unfounded.

(Side note: Why does it seem that many people are too busy planning their next cruise, or compairing their current cruise to a prior voyage to enjoy the one they're currently on?) Ha!

One welcome surprise for us is the fact that after we boarded we could immediatly go to our cabin. On our other ships we've always had to worry about finding a seat and waiting until the cabins are ready. This was WONDERFUL. And, our main bags were at our door before the drill. ALSO another wonderful surprise.

We unpacked and found there to be plenty of storage. Though I did think it was a bit odd that the hangers in the closet were basically "old retail" hangers that seemed to be left behind by previous guests. (Think name brands on the plastic)

Our cabin was a sheltered balcony cabin that had been refurbished on Deck 5. It was large and the furniture was comphy. We weren't thrilled about the shower curtain, as oppoosed to a door, but the shower did seem MUCH larger than RCI. The aminites were nice and our steward was flawless. Our room was often made up before we got back from breakfast.

Each night we'd hang our tag out on our door for coffee and it was always on time and hot. If we woke up earlier than we planned we simply called down and in less than 10 minutes they were at our door. The service was perfection.

The public spaces were beautiful and the meals were top notch. We did go to the Verandah once but would probably not return. While the plates were beautiful I didn't find it to taste any better than the main dining room. Every meal we got was hot and delecious.

We had a few lunches in the pub and since the Ryder Cup golf tournament was going on it was the perfect way to spend a day at sea.

The ONLY time we felt a little crowded on the ship was when they tried to tender in Sydney and in Newport. That process on such a large ship takes a very long time. However, I will say the crew is streightforward with what to expect and I never felt I was in the dark about when I could get off the ship. Get your ticket when you're ready and wait for your number to be called.

One of our issues was the seas began to pick up and it was a very rocky end to our stay in Rhode Island. The capatain even said we almost skipped the port because of it... but i'm glad he took the chance!

Entertainment

We felt that the shows were very well done and the theaters were nice! We did do the planatarium once but while it was a nice touch, we didnt return for the second time.

We did attend one lecture but ended up watching the others on TV in our room. There was SIMPLY too much to do! :)

I enjoyed the golf simulator and hitting balls on the top deck. It was a bit chilly but i was suprised to find that space empty most of the time.

Because of the weather we used the indoor pool. While not WARM it wasn't too cold. hot tubs were warm and we never had issues finding a space to get in.

One thing I did notice about the ship compared to RCI is the bar service. If you wanted to diviate from their printed menu it didn't seem they liked to accomodate. For example, because my wife is pregnant she wanted to get a non-alcoholic drink to enjoy. She likes a frozen lemonaid but the bartender said he couldn't do that. Seems pretty simple to me? So she picked one of the other non-alcoholic cocktails and asked that it be blended with ice to make it into a frozen drink. At first they declined but then said they'd try... .but it came out a soupy mess. She stuck with a ginger ale!

The in-room bar was a wonderful touch. It's stocked with water, beer, and a few other drinks that we didn't feel were abnormally priced. The only issue I had with it was that it didn't leave much room for the wine I brought on board myself. And, it wasn't restocked each day. (I drank the coca-cola and it was never replaced) However, the ice was and surprisingly it stayed cold the entire day!

You can also order a "buy five get the sixth free" package of still or sparkling water for $20. A great day for those, like us, who tend to drink alot of water.

While we're on the bar.... i was a little hesitant about what I could bring on board but after traveling on Cunard I can see that they do trust you to act like an adult. I brought two bottles of red and a bottle of sparkling on board with no problem. And, in fact, I did go to the duty free store on board the first morning and they let me take a bottle of bourbon to my stateroom to use during the trip. This was a wonderful suprise. However, in the future I'll probably just bring it from the shoreside.

Overall we were thrilled with the experience.

To be able to spend time on such a wonderful ship was something we won't soon forget. We did like to be able to stay overnight in Quebec City and not worry about what time to get back to the ship. I think we'd do the exact same cruise again!

Getting off the ship was the easiest process ever.... leave your bags out before midnight and head to the queens room after you've had your breakfast the next morning. Once they call your deck you can jump right off the ship, collect your bags, and hail a cab to be on your way. Simply not an issue at all.

Happy to take any questions! But first... a few thoughts on things I've read before on CC.

Dress Code- I NEVER saw any issue where anything anyone was wearing would distract from my vacation. Everyone wore a coat and tie when it was required. The ONLY time i saw someone in a public area dressed down was in the royal court theater. I enjoyed dressing up for dinner because everyone else was doing it. Otherwise, it's simply too warm for my taste to have to wear a coat. We did see in the post cruise survey many questions asking about dinner times and attire. Will be intersteing to see what the future holds.

Smoke in Hallways- Yes. This is a thing. I can't explain it, but on Deck 3-4 near the stairs I would ALWAYS smell cigerette smoke. This was near the main dining room. It wasn't suffocating, but it was certainly there.

Shops- The stores are always closed later in the evening and when you're in every port. I foolishly waited to make my final purchases for the last day but since we stayed overnight in Quebec City they were closed.

TV in Room- I didn't like not being able to see my on board balance and account each night. If you want to compare receipts to your balance you must have one printed out.

Have a great day!

Great summary, thank you so much.

Did you get a table for 2 for dinner?

Actually, yes we did. We requested the table for two but ended up being great friends with the adjecent table for two next to us. We were on the second level of the main dining room along a wall so we didn't get a great view of the area below but it was easy to get to.

We just got home from our seven night journey on the QM2. First... a little perspective.

We've cruised a handful of times before, but that's only on Royal Caribbean. Secondly, we were (by far) the youngest couple on the ship that we could tell. In our mid-thirties we knew we would be on the younger side but we were actually surprised to see how much younger we were than the rest of the crowd.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the cruise. Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise.

Cunard does skew older, but the itinerary you took also tends to have an older demographic. Even on Royal Carribean you would probably have ended up being one of the younger people onboard for a one way cruise to Canada in the fall.

Thank you so much for your review. It has put my mind at rest a bit. We would really like to take a QM2 TA but with all the comments about "proper" formal attire, we have been a little reluctant. We don't want to over pack as it will be the first week of a much longer vacation in Europe but were concerned about offending the other passengers if our chosen attire was deemed "not up to snuff"! Now, I may just a photo from our P&O cruise and ask if we would pass muster. :D

We do want to go but don't want to be confined to the cafeteria. I think we will be OK. Not a tux but a very nice jacket and tie.

Thank you so much for your review. It has put my mind at rest a bit. We would really like to take a QM2 TA but with all the comments about "proper" formal attire, we have been a little reluctant. We don't want to over pack as it will be the first week of a much longer vacation in Europe but were concerned about offending the other passengers if our chosen attire was deemed "not up to snuff"! Now, I may just a photo from our P&O cruise and ask if we would pass muster. :D

We do want to go but don't want to be confined to the cafeteria. I think we will be OK. Not a tux but a very nice jacket and tie.

You're welcome! Yes, I did see PLENTY of tux's.... but a smart coat, tie, and dress pants were perfectly fine. And to be honest, I always wore a white button up short sleved shirt with a tie that helped me stay cooler. As long as I never took off my jacket nobody ever knew! :)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts on the cruise. Glad to hear you had a wonderful cruise.

Cunard does skew older, but the itinerary you took also tends to have an older demographic. Even on Royal Carribean you would probably have ended up being one of the younger people onboard for a one way cruise to Canada in the fall.

We thought so too! But it was a BEAUTIFUL trip and one we would take again. Doesn't match up with kids and a school schedule for sure. I'd guess that most people were on for more than one week. NYC to NYC for example. We met PLENTY of people going from Southampton all the way back to England. Now that's a trip!

Entertainment

We felt that the shows were very well done and the theaters were nice! We did do the planatarium once but while it was a nice touch, we didnt return for the second time.

We did attend one lecture but ended up watching the others on TV in our room. There was SIMPLY too much to do! :)

I enjoyed the golf simulator and hitting balls on the top deck. It was a bit chilly but i was suprised to find that space empty most of the time.

Because of the weather we used the indoor pool. While not WARM it wasn't too cold. hot tubs were warm and we never had issues finding a space to get in.

One thing I did notice about the ship compared to RCI is the bar service. If you wanted to diviate from their printed menu it didn't seem they liked to accomodate. For example, because my wife is pregnant she wanted to get a non-alcoholic drink to enjoy. She likes a frozen lemonaid but the bartender said he couldn't do that. Seems pretty simple to me? So she picked one of the other non-alcoholic cocktails and asked that it be blended with ice to make it into a frozen drink. At first they declined but then said they'd try... .but it came out a soupy mess. She stuck with a ginger ale!

The in-room bar was a wonderful touch. It's stocked with water, beer, and a few other drinks that we didn't feel were abnormally priced. The only issue I had with it was that it didn't leave much room for the wine I brought on board myself. And, it wasn't restocked each day. (I drank the coca-cola and it was never replaced) However, the ice was and surprisingly it stayed cold the entire day!

You can also order a "buy five get the sixth free" package of still or sparkling water for $20. A great day for those, like us, who tend to drink alot of water.

While we're on the bar.... i was a little hesitant about what I could bring on board but after traveling on Cunard I can see that they do trust you to act like an adult. I brought two bottles of red and a bottle of sparkling on board with no problem. And, in fact, I did go to the duty free store on board the first morning and they let me take a bottle of bourbon to my stateroom to use during the trip. This was a wonderful suprise. However, in the future I'll probably just bring it from the shoreside.

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your voyage on the QM2.

I have a couple of questions is you don't mind.

1. Did you purchase the water package? What size were the bottles of still water?

2. Did you use your phone or email to keep in touch at home? We are taking a TA later this month and want to make one call or email a day to check on my Mum (92) in nursing home.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

I am from Canada so I am glad that you enjoyed your time spent in 2 of our provinces.

Cathy

Hi,

I enjoyed reading your review. It was nice meeting you during the cruise. I'm glad that you liked the Queen Mary 2. It was a particularly good cruise. I really like the Cunard product and think it can be enjoyed by people from a variety of age groups. I was 20 years old on my first Cunard sailing (on the QE2 many years ago) and had a wonderful time.

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9

Smoke in Hallways- Yes. This is a thing. I can't explain it, but on Deck 3-4 near the stairs I would ALWAYS smell cigerette smoke. This was near the main dining room. It wasn't suffocating, but it was certainly there.

Smoking is allowed on the upper level of the G32 nightclub, that was probably the source.

Brian, thanks so much for this very interesting review. We loved meeting you and Amy and are so glad that you enjoyed your first Cunard voyage.

Wonderful to meet you as well! It was a great group with many different perspectives. We hope to do it again... next year??? :)

I enjoyed reading your thoughts on your voyage on the QM2.

I have a couple of questions is you don't mind.

1. Did you purchase the water package? What size were the bottles of still water?

2. Did you use your phone or email to keep in touch at home? We are taking a TA later this month and want to make one call or email a day to check on my Mum (92) in nursing home.

Thank you for any information you can provide.

I am from Canada so I am glad that you enjoyed your time spent in 2 of our provinces.

Cathy

Thanks for the reply! Hope I can help.

We didn't Pre-purchase the water package but we did see a tag in our room offering six bottles for the price of five. They were large bottles. A liter maybe?

As for our phones we only used the free wifi while in port in Canada and obviously were able to use our phones while in United States ports. I cannot speak for the ships connection.

Hi,

I enjoyed reading your review. It was nice meeting you during the cruise. I'm glad that you liked the Queen Mary 2. It was a particularly good cruise. I really like the Cunard product and think it can be enjoyed by people from a variety of age groups. I was 20 years old on my first Cunard sailing (on the QE2 many years ago) and had a wonderful time.

Chuck

Thanks chuck! Hope to see you on board sometime. Maybe down the road I'll be sailing on the "QV2"!!! :)

Thanks for the reply! Hope I can help.

We didn't Pre-purchase the water package but we did see a tag in our room offering six bottles for the price of five. They were large bottles. A liter maybe?

As for our phones we only used the free wifi while in port in Canada and obviously were able to use our phones while in United States ports. I cannot speak for the ships connection.

Thank you.

I'm pretty sure that smoking is no longer allowed in G32. I believe this is a change after the refit.

Yes. I just checked the VP for my upcoming crossing.

"For the safety, comfort and enjoyment of our guests, smoking (including Electronic alternatives) is not permitted in staterooms, on stateroom balconies or in public rooms. You will find designated areas on the open decks, where smoking is permitted. The only exception to this is Churchill’s Cigar Lounge, which is reserved for cigar and pipe smokers only."

Mark

So glad to hear other people close to my age with this much of a positive experience with Cunard! Been travelling with Cunard since 2008 (i was 22 during my first crossing, turning 31 tomorrow) and still feel lots of excitement every time i board :)