Carnival Ecstasy- Hurricane Matthew Mexican Madness Cruise!

k_immi_e

Just got off the Ecstasy on Monday morning.

What a crazy cruise! What was supposed to be a 6 day 3 Port Bahamian cruise turned into an 8 Day 1 Overnight/2 Day Port in Mexico!

The Captain and Staff were amazing! The Captain got us the heck out of dodge by leaving an hour earlier than planned and hauled ass to Mexico, giving us 2 sea days to start. He then made the decision to stay in Cozumel overnight due to Matthew hitting Charleston the day we were supposed to return. Then he put us way behind the storm and the only time we hit some rough water was the last day... and by rough, it was nothing. Drinks didn't spill and people didn't fall out of bed. We had to stay an extra day at sea due to the Port of Charleston being closed.

That leads me to the crew! Not just the entertainment, but the cabin stewards, the dining staff, the comedians, the cleaning staff, the chefs/cooks... they did a great job! Ben, the cruise director, and his fun squad came up with different variety shows, different games, and a lot of activities. The comedians rose up and did extra shows. The food was always flowing. The Cabin Stewards kept the rooms clean even though we weren't charged any extra gratuity from Carnival. The wait staff in the dining room always smiled.

It was a great cruise!

If you have any questions about the cruise or ship or crew, I'd be more than happy to answer!

Some Notes:

1. The staggered check in at Charleston is useless. Its such a small port. Faster to the Fun was okay, but not a deal breaker for me if I cruise out of Charleston again. The line wasn't that long of a wait to get on board.

2. Debarkation was insane fast. We left our room at 6:25am and were in our uber at 6:40

3. Bring air freshener! The bathrooms do not have any air flow so if someone goes #2 the smell sticks around for hours!

4. I didn't know until the last day there was an omelette bar at the Wok place in the morning

5. The Kiosks to check your S&S balance suck! Do not go by what is on the main screen where it says Available Balance. Actually look at the statement that you can print out. That will tell you your true balance. Guest Services couldn't tell me why such a large discrepancy on what it displayed to available vs what actually was.

Edited by k_immi_e

That's great! Extra time on a cruise is like gold to me. Glad you had a good cruise with smooth sailing.:) I'm sailing to Bermuda on the 23rd and hope the storms take a break.

Dan

Edited by bumorgan

Glad you made it back safely and seemingly none the worse for wear ! We are leaving the 30th ....first-timers :) did you park at the port ? stay at a nearby hotel ? any other advice to share for a couple of noobies ? T I A

I was lucky enough to have a friend that lived 15 mins from the port. We stayed with her Saturday night and she drove us to the port Sunday Morning and I left my car at her place.

However, from what I have read and heard from others, parking at the port is a breeze. They have a traffic pattern you have to follow around to get into the secured garage and you can take the shuttle or walk over to the Port.

Getting off was even easier. We had FTTF so we could get off any time we want. Since we had to drive home, we went first thing. Left our room at 6:25 and was in our uber at 6:40.

Also, before my friend offered her place, we had a hotel booked in Mt Pleasant. The Best Western at Patriots Point. They had a shuttle to the port and very reasonable rates ("Park & Cruise Package"). Downtown Charleston is crazy expensive and Mt Pleasant is 10 mins away.

Glad to see the Ecstasy fared well during Hurricane Matthew and that you had a blast!

I have a friend whose wife was on that cruise. He has never cruised and says he never will. He was a nervous wreck here. I know he will not change his mind now. But, I am sure his cruise seasoned wife loved her extended cruise and will be on another one again.

Thank you for posting this.

We were on this cruise as well, also very impressed with the captain and crew! Did you have any trouble with the ventilation? I became ill with my head and sinuses whenever I was inside too long. I had to sleep with a damp washcloth over my face to keep from feeling all dried out. Just wondering if anyone else had similar issues on this ship?

Kim, I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise after all the hoops you had to go through to get you passport!! I was wondering if you were going to run in to the mess that Matthew caused - but I 'm glad you got the extra time, if anyone deserves it you did!!

BTW the girl on FB that was jumping through the same hoops that you did to get her husband's passport got it today!! So they too will have a great cruise!

We were on this cruise as well, also very impressed with the captain and crew! Did you have any trouble with the ventilation? I became ill with my head and sinuses whenever I was inside too long. I had to sleep with a damp washcloth over my face to keep from feeling all dried out. Just wondering if anyone else had similar issues on this ship?

I did not have this issue.

Kim, I am so glad you had a wonderful cruise after all the hoops you had to go through to get you passport!! I was wondering if you were going to run in to the mess that Matthew caused - but I 'm glad you got the extra time, if anyone deserves it you did!!

BTW the girl on FB that was jumping through the same hoops that you did to get her husband's passport got it today!! So they too will have a great cruise!

Yay! You found my post!

It was so funny, I told my DH that this vacation from when we booked it day 1 to day whatever- when we finally got off the ship, was just so crazy. With the passport/citizen drama... to the hurricane... to going to Mexico... to extra days... And then! Because of the hurricane, it took us 10 hours to get home, normally 6 hours. So it was just nuts. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat (well minus the passport crap)

I am glad the other girl got everything handled! Yay!

Ah, so happy to see your post!!!

I was on this cruise too. One day I felt "not right" like kina sea sicky but realized my head was getting stuffy & throwing off my balance. My sinus problems can make me nauseous at times. Took some sinus meds & a nap & was good to go!

On Sunday, I started to feel a bit stuffy too. Started dosing up on more sinus meds. It would always get better or go away when I was outside or on the upper decks. We were on the Riviera. I am now battling an annoying head cold!