Advice for pre-cruise stay NY-NJ

minimee

We are booking NCL cruise that departs on December 29 from Manhattan cruise terminal. We are a family of 4 (2 teens) and will be driving from Ottawa. We plan to spend at least a day or two before touring NY. Our plan was to stay in NJ where we could have a hotel for 2-3 nights and we could leave the car there while we cruise for 10 nights, instead of driving in Manhattan and parking at the pier. Also, because we are 4, it seems that most hotels in Manhattan would require 2 rooms, therefore much more expensive. Does anyone have advice on good hotels where we could go to Manhattan on a day trip the one or two days before and then leave our car there for 10 nights?

Thanks.

Edited by minimee
more context

We are booking NCL cruise that departs on December 29 from Manhattan cruise terminal. We are a family of 4 (2 teens) and will be driving from Ottawa. We plan to spend at least a day or two before touring NY. Our plan was to stay in NJ where we could have a hotel for 2-3 nights and we could leave the car there while we cruise for 10 nights, instead of driving in Manhattan and parking at the pier. Also, because we are 4, it seems that most hotels in Manhattan would require 2 rooms, therefore much more expensive. Does anyone have advice on good hotels where we could go to Manhattan on a day trip the one or two days before and then leave our car there for 10 nights?

Thanks.

What's your hotel budget? What kind of bed setup do you need with your teens?

Can you haul your luggage to NYC on public transit, or do you need car service transportation? What ages are your teens? Would you consider staying two nights in one hotel and moving to a park/sleep hotel for the last night to get the parking?

There is no optimal solution to this problem. You have to balance time, money, and stress for running in and out of NY. With 4 people public transit fares mount up quickly.

Hi minimee,

If you are going to be on the Gem, I will be on that cruise as well. The week between Christmas and New Year is always an expensive week for NYC. Some of the NYC hotels have bigger rooms and you can fit 4 people in them. Even big hotel rooms in NYC are small compared to other parts of the country. But you are in NY and shouldn't be spending much time in your room. I just did a quick search on a travel site and a hotel in a central location will probably run you at least $300 a night plus taxes.

There was one place called Cambria hotel and suites on 28th street in the Chelsea Section of Manhattan that currently has a two queen beds room for $223. Don't know much about the hotel as it is new but that is a really good price for that particular week in Manhattan. It is not near any of the sites but there are subways near by.

I live local so I can not help you with the parking but I can say parking anywhere in NYC will be expensive. I have read on other boards that the cruise terminal parking has a coupon for Gem passengers. ICON parking is one of the largest operators of parking garages in NYC and they often offer coupons on their website. So that might be worth looking into as well.

In Jersey you can look for hotels in Jersey City, where you can take the PATH train into NYC, again I am not sure about parking. You can also look for hotels in Secaucus - East Rutherford area. Some of these hotels have shuttles that will take you to the train station to go in and out of the city. Check with the hotel if you can park there while you are away. There is parking at New Jersey Trainsit's train station in Secaucus but that will still cost you on average $29 per day.

The kids are 11 and 13 and are well travelled. We have taken them to Europe a few times, many cruises and down south trips. We usually use public transportation if possible from the airport so are open to those suggestions. We are thinking about staying at the Best Western near the PATH Newark for 2 nights, and then maybe park at the Port Imperial Ferry and take that to the cruise terminal the next day. Does that make sense or can you offer better advice? How is Secaucus and how unconvenient is it to go to Manhattan for a day?

Thanks

The kids are 11 and 13 and are well travelled. We have taken them to Europe a few times, many cruises and down south trips. We usually use public transportation if possible from the airport so are open to those suggestions. We are thinking about staying at the Best Western near the PATH Newark for 2 nights, and then maybe park at the Port Imperial Ferry and take that to the cruise terminal the next day. Does that make sense or can you offer better advice? How is Secaucus and how unconvenient is it to go to Manhattan for a day?

Thanks

I have no problem with the Robert Treat. I have stayed there specifically because of the public transit connections that are available. It is possible to take the NJ transit train to Midtown (New York Penn Station) and return via PATH from the downtown World Trade Center or vice versa. This gives you more flexibility in seeing multiple areas of the city. You can take PATH to 33rd St in NY with a transfer at Journal Square, but you have to balance the time it takes against spending a bit more on the train. Your 11 year old is half fare on NJ Transit.

Parking at Port Imperial is $16/day plus $33 each way for the ferry for the 4 of you.

From Secaucus you have multiple options. If your hotel is close to a bus stop, that would be your primary choice to go to Port Authority Bus Terminal in midtown. If your hotel has a shuttle to Secaucus Junction Train station, NJ Transit train would be an option. Check out Hyatt Place. Folks have reported being able to arrange to leave cars there while on a cruise at no charge, but this not a formal option. If that is possible, you could take a cab to Secaucus junction with your luggage and take the train to and from Manhattan for your cruise.

Edited by 138east