Christmas / New Year's Cruise

HGJ1370

Hello All,

We've never traveled during a major holiday before, just booked Anthem of Seas Dec. 23, 2016 cruise and we are curious as to what we can expect on a holiday cruise. Please let us know your good or bad experiences.

Thank you,

Heather

Not Christmas, but I was not a fan of our one and only New Years cruise on Mariner a few years back. The ship seemed far more crowded with the holiday season, the crowds were much more 'clique-ish' with the large family groups - less interaction - less friendly. If it was a sailing at our usual pricing, it would have been an 'OK cruise' at best. At more than twice our usual price, it was just not worth it. Honestly, I love cruising, and I love holidays, but I now choose not to mix the 2. In my experience, I can find a much better holiday celebration on land, and sail more often in the non-peak times.

But that's just me. I understand others may have a different take. I sail more for the relaxation, and so the off peak times suit me better.

I am on the same cruise, so following this thread. I occasionally check the RC website, and there seems to be lots of cabins open, apart from the suites, which have all gone (Including seeing one open for a week for £25,000 around USD 37k!! :eek:)

The ship will be decorated for Christmas until after the New Year's cruise ends. On our Christmas cruise, they did a Carol sing the night before, Christmas morning they turned the skating rink into a Santa's Winter Wonderland, with presents for the kids (we don't have kids, but I think you have to pre-register, IIRC). Christmas dinner (and New Year's as well, IIRC) is traditional turkey dinner in addition to the regular menu for the day.

They also show Christmas movies by the pool, which coming from the Great White North was really weird; Sitting on the edge of the pool in our swimsuits watching the Christmas Vacation movie.

Many children.

Lol....Bob, this made me smile :) I am one of the many bringing MANY CHILDREN...ha ha ha ha I was excited nowwwwwwww, I am wondering about my sanity....Oh well It will be the holidays ...God Bless Us Everyone :D

We are on a Christmas + New Years cruise on the Navigator (23 Dec - 3 Jan). No specialty dining rez available for Dec 24, 25 or 31 or Jan 1. I'm thinking there will be "special" pricing...meaning EXTRA charge. No thanks. MDR will have to do for us this trip.

I love Holiday cruises ! So much fun.

Our sailing also has LOTS of non-suites availability....esp balconies !

The ship will be decorated for Christmas until after the New Year's cruise ends. On our Christmas cruise, they did a Carol sing the night before, Christmas morning they turned the skating rink into a Santa's Winter Wonderland, with presents for the kids (we don't have kids, but I think you have to pre-register, IIRC). Christmas dinner (and New Year's as well, IIRC) is traditional turkey dinner in addition to the regular menu for the day.

They also show Christmas movies by the pool, which coming from the Great White North was really weird; Sitting on the edge of the pool in our swimsuits watching the Christmas Vacation movie.

On Allure last year all decorations were down before New Year. I think went down the 30th

On the Anthem last year for New Years. Certainly crowded. Huge advantage of indoor pool areas going out of cold weather.

I do agree that largest negative was the selling of "limited" champagne/table packages for New Year's Eve in most venues. The "limited" number seemed to be governed by how many they could sell. If one particular party interests you, I would suggest you pay for a table.

Neither of us drink champagne so didn't think it was worth investigating, but that was wrong. We walked into 270 and the person at the door said you can sit anywhere here isn't a reserved sign and there wasn't a seat in the whole lower level. We finally wandered around and felt like second class citizens squeezing into the Music Hall which was the land for people with no reservations.

Have done New Years on Carnival and NCL and never saw this huge corporate greed on NYE like RCCl. People are already paying a huge premium to sail on these cruises and then they force you to buy a table for hundreds more. Provided the feedback that would never sail with them over New Years again without a response and we booked the NCL Breakaway instead this year.

We did a 12 Night Holidays Cruise on the Serenade last year. December 23 to 4 January out of Fort Lauderdale...

We had a great time, Christmas in Labadee, New Years Eve in St. Johns and New Years Day in St. Maarten.

Lots of Christmas Decorations all over the ship... A super New Years Eve party with different types of entertainment in all the different lounges. Unlimited Champaigne starting about 11:45pm...

The New Years Eve Dinner in the MDR was terrific. Individual Menus. All your NYE Party Favors (it was also one of the formal nights)...

I have attached the Menu for New Years Eve

Have a Great Time.

Dennis & Sue

NYE Menu.pdf

Hello All,

We've never traveled during a major holiday before, just booked Anthem of Seas Dec. 23, 2016 cruise and we are curious as to what we can expect on a holiday cruise. Please let us know your good or bad experiences.

Thank you,

Heather

we personally will NEVER EVER do a holiday cruise again. just is NOT worth the premium price you pay for a majorly crowded ship crawling with multigenerational family groups who cannot seem to be able to do anything on their own. all 4 generations MUST do EVERYTHING together en masse it seems. which means public spaces are just too noisy and crowded at all hours of the day and you can forget a relaxing dip in the hot tub.

usually the menu for christmas day is 'nicer' than formal night( not really, but the offerings will be more in keeping with an American Holiday feast)

the ship itself will be gorgeously decorated. Ho Ho Claus makes an appearance or two, and there will be goodies for the kids passed out on the 25th. Our Ship had Caroling led by one of the Pinnacle cruisers who was well known throughout the Fleet. the on board activities may have a decidedly christmassy theme to them( trivia, scavenger hunts, etc) the backgrounds for pictures will also be festive.

Never did Christmas but we have our 4th NYE book for this year on the Freedom. Fun night and We love it. There are more families traveling together and I always like seeing families together on ships. It's nice.

We do agree that we don't like the reserving of tables. Does seem like RCCL just found another way of making money. Kind of not a nice feeling though for the majority of the crowd who does not have a reserved table.

Other than that we love it.

Did Christmas and New Year on Allure 2011-12.

The ship was beautifully decorated for Christmas. There were carols on Christmas Eve and Santa came down on the Rising Tide Bar. There were presents for all the kids (distributed in the ice rink, I think. And I remember there being egg nog given out to everyone). There was a Christmas dinner in the MDR but in fact in my memory it was a bit disappointing - seemed more "banquet catering" than usual, and certainly not as nice as you'd make yourself at home.

New Year was a much bigger "thing" than Christmas. There were parties all over the ship - each venue had a different "themed" party, e.g. I think Studio B had Latin music (there were a *lot* of Mexican and Columbian big family groups on board), Aqua Theatre had contemporary "pop" music, somewhere else was a smooth/jazz type thing. Everyone gathered on the Royal Promenade at midnight - they gave out champagne. It was *packed* and unless you'd paid for reserving a table at the various venues, it was standing room only (i.e. you couldn't just go along and reserve a seat by sitting in it - they were all pre-reserved).

Personally, i probably wouldn't do it again because it was SO much money (and if I was just doing one, I'd do the New Year - I think they did New Year better than Christmas).

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I'm glad you asked this question. We will be on Enchantment Dec 26 - 30 (4 night cruise).

Thank you to those who responded. I now know what to expect and be ready for the large crowds and many children. This is our first Holiday cruise and our first short cruise. Just the two of us going.

Either way it will still be better than winter in Michigan.

We are booked on this cruise too! I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting this question and thank you to those of you who have responded.

You'll see the crowds and table up-charge any place you go for NYE. Went to AC one year, couldn't get anywhere near a bar or table, we sat on the floor. Had a good time, because it was memorable to us. :)

Are you signed up for the meet & mingle?

See you on board!

Heather

We are booked on this cruise too! I was wondering the same thing. Thank you for posting this question and thank you to those of you who have responded.

Hey, I recognise your cruisecritic name, you were on the allure transatlantic last year too? Am I right in thinking I met you at Chef's table? Small world..

Hey, I recognise your cruisecritic name, you were on the allure transatlantic last year too? Am I right in thinking I met you at Chef's table? Small world..

Hi, I thought your cruise critic name looked familiar too! I believe I sat right across from you at the Chef's Table, correct? Very small world, indeed.:)

This voyage our children and mother will be with us. My husband and I went by ourselves on the Transatlantic.

Hi, I thought your cruise critic name looked familiar too! I believe I sat right across from you at the Chef's Table, correct? Very small world, indeed.:)

This voyage our children and mother will be with us. My husband and I went by ourselves on the Transatlantic.

Yes if I remember right there was an issue with tipping ;) might not do Chef's table this time round! See you on board. Mary (and Brian)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We did New Year on Allure last year and loved it. Only negative was the reserving of tables through buying champagne. We realised just in time but should be $100 extra you should budget for

We did a Christmas/NY cruise few years ago on another line and loved it. People were gathering in the main plaza, free champagne and NY treats, balloons, etc. It was a lot of fun.

From what I read it is very different on Anthem which we booked this year.

Can you tell me more about this table reservation through buying champagne? This is the first time I'm reading about it.

Yes if I remember right there was an issue with tipping ;) might not do Chef's table this time round! See you on board. Mary (and Brian)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ugh! I was so embarrassed by some of the other Americans that night. It left such a bad taste in my mouth. We are probably not doing the Chef's Table either.

Our 13 year old son and 11 year old daughter love little kids. We did not get to meet your son, maybe we could remedy that.

See you on board! Amanda (and David)