vista library bar question

splintz

my wife and i will be on the vista in January. we plan on getting cheers. my wife is a wine drinker and got excited when she saw that the library bar has high end wine that is in the self serve machines. then we realized that for some unknown reason you can't use cheers on the self dispensing wine and beer machines. not sure the reason for this but my question is do they have the same wine's that are available in the self dispensing machine also available at the regular bar so you can purchase them with the cheers package? or do they purposely only put them in the machines so only pay per drink customers can get it.:mad:

my wife and i will be on the vista in January. we plan on getting cheers. my wife is a wine drinker and got excited when she saw that the library bar has high end wine that is in the self serve machines. then we realized that for some unknown reason you can't use cheers on the self dispensing wine and beer machines. not sure the reason for this but my question is do they have the same wine's that are available in the self dispensing machine also available at the regular bar so you can purchase them with the cheers package? or do they purposely only put them in the machines so only pay per drink customers can get it.:mad:

The wines are certainly for sale by the bottle. IMO, that is the whole point of the world's best vending machine - to let you try various wines before purchasing. Depending on the wine, they may or may not be available by the glass.

The wines are certainly for sale by the bottle. IMO, that is the whole point of the world's best vending machine - to let you try various wines before purchasing. Depending on the wine, they may or may not be available by the glass.

"To let you try before you purchase" - but "they may or may not be available".

Sounds like a world class vending machine! :D

Or can they try by the bottle before purchase? Wonderful news if it is.

thanks for the reply. unfortunately if we purchase cheers the last thing i want to do is buy a bottle of wine on top of that. i think its BS that the wine machine doesn't work for cheers but all the wines in it are in the price range in the cheers package. oh well it won't bother me much, but my wife won't be very happy.

thanks for the reply. unfortunately if we purchase cheers the last thing i want to do is buy a bottle of wine on top of that.

I don't blame you.

i think its BS that the wine machine doesn't work for cheers but all the wines in it are in the price range in the cheers package.

Yup. I can only think that Carnival employees and shareholders would disagree with you for such rip off rules designed to catch out the unwary to fleece passengers in this way. They want your cake and eat it.

I don't blame you.

Yup. I can only think that Carnival employees and shareholders would disagree with you for such rip off rules designed to catch out the unwary to fleece passengers in this way. They want your cake and eat it.

it's kind of like going to HMC with cheers but you have to pay for your drinks. that is just as ridiculous. i just posted the question about the wine machine on John Heald facebook page since he is answering questions today. i am interested to see the reasoning he gives behind the no cheers on the self dispensed machine other than pure money. it's a shame because i saw a picture of the machine and the wine they had in it was very good. my wife gets frustrated on board sometimes because it is hard to get a good glass of wine. she used to like hess select which was $9.25 when cheers covered drinks under $10. then they switched the price to $10.25 so you couldn't get it with cheers. now with the $50 cheers price limit they only offer hess select by the bottle. *** if is extremely frustrating.

Carnival and I assume other cruise lines do these little things that just annoy their customers. They already have a limit on the amount of drinks you can have,(with the cheers program) the amount each drink costs and time between drinks. The bar tenders on board have the info on their touch screen and you can't have over 15 drinks or a drink of a certain price etc... Again I assume Carnival hasn't figured out to program the dispensers not to over dispense. Or it's just a money thing. Just the little annoying thing they do.:cool:

Carnival and I assume other cruise lines do these little things that just annoy their customers. They already have a limit on the amount of drinks you can have,(with the cheers program) the amount each drink costs and time between drinks. The bar tenders on board have the info on their touch screen and you can't have over 15 drinks or a drink of a certain price etc... Again I assume Carnival hasn't figured out to program the dispensers not to over dispense. Or it's just a money thing. Just the little annoying thing they do.:cool:

I'm sure its a money thing.

I had cheers on my cruise. I didnt actually want to, but the cost of drinks, I decided in the end to bite the bullet. I'd intended to "get my monies worth", though in reality I didn't really drink that much.... and do think the drinks at the pool bars were alcohol free!!!

On Silversea, all drinks are included. (Yes the starting price is more)..... but I dont think ANYONE abused the bar at all. Different clientele or the right attitude?

i did receive a response back from John Heald and he said he honestly didn't know the reason and would check and get back with me. with the machines not being able to keep track of how many drinks per day theory i find that hard to believe. if you put your card in and the charge goes onto your folio account same as with the registers at the bar it would be tracking the number of drinks you have had for the day. at first thought i would definitely think it was about money, but you also can't use them on the self pour draft beer. so that kind of conflicts with the pure money theory. but of course you can buy draft beer at the regular bars all over the ship with cheers. i don't think you will be able to buy the premium wine from the machines at any of the bars on the ship, and that is the problem. you shouldn't be punished for buying cheers and not be allowed to buy a glass of wine that is available to everyone else who does not have cheers. oh well i guess i will have to wait and see if John responds back with an answer.

i did receive a response back from John Heald and he said he honestly didn't know the reason and would check and get back with me. with the machines not being able to keep track of how many drinks per day theory i find that hard to believe. if you put your card in and the charge goes onto your folio account same as with the registers at the bar it would be tracking the number of drinks you have had for the day. at first thought i would definitely think it was about money, but you also can't use them on the self pour draft beer. so that kind of conflicts with the pure money theory. but of course you can buy draft beer at the regular bars all over the ship with cheers. i don't think you will be able to buy the premium wine from the machines at any of the bars on the ship, and that is the problem. you shouldn't be punished for buying cheers and not be allowed to buy a glass of wine that is available to everyone else who does not have cheers. oh well i guess i will have to wait and see if John responds back with an answer.

It just makes a mockery of the sales pitch

"All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving"

If they sell the wine and its not of $50 per glass or above value, you would expect it to be included.

lol at him "not knowing the answer", though to be fair, I can think of something else he doesn't know about either! :D

BTW, I suspect the draft beer taps, is probably because it would be very easy for "lads" to share or borrow a cheers card and have a good guzzle and use up the 15 drinks quota each and every day. Thats unlikely to happen with wine. (How many youngsters do you know of who drink lots of wine?)

Edited by les37b

It just makes a mockery of the sales pitch

"All spirits, including cocktails, cognacs, whiskies and other spirits, as well as beer and glasses of wine, with a $50 USD or lower menu price per serving"

If they sell the wine and its not of $50 per glass or above value, you would expect it to be included.

lol at him "not knowing the answer", though to be fair, I can think of something else he doesn't know about either! :D

BTW, I suspect the draft beer taps, is probably because it would be very easy for "lads" to share or borrow a cheers card and have a good guzzle and use up the 15 drinks quota each and every day. Thats unlikely to happen with wine. (How many youngsters do you know of who drink lots of wine?)

I totally agree with you. Well all I can do and wait and see. I will post any response I get from john.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

thanks for the reply. unfortunately if we purchase cheers the last thing i want to do is buy a bottle of wine on top of that. i think its BS that the wine machine doesn't work for cheers but all the wines in it are in the price range in the cheers package. oh well it won't bother me much, but my wife won't be very happy.

Cheers also doesn't work with self-beer dispensers or room service.

I can see all kinds of ways to abuse the system if they did nd there are enough cheaters out there.

There is a regular library bar near the wine dispenser and if they have the wine by the glass I would think Cheers would work there.

The machines don't require a signature and have no way to visually verify that the S&S card being used actually belongs to the person using it. No conspiracy theory required.

The machines don't require a signature and have no way to visually verify that the S&S card being used actually belongs to the person using it. No conspiracy theory required.

It's not a conspiracy theory that the OP can't get the wine of her choice on cheers despite it being available unless she pays extra to buy a whole bottle.

But thanks for your support once again for Carnivals policies again to the detriment of paying customers! :D

The rules for Cheers are clear. No one is forced to buy if they don't like or agree with.

Beverages excluded from the program are:

• Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at the gangway
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines and self-serve beer stations
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

Nope that answer doesn't work. What's to stop someone from using someone else card that doesn't have cheers. There's nothing to stop it or to stop a kid from using a parents card who doesn't have cheers. So that debunks your logic there. If that was there concern they shouldn't have the machines at all.

The rules for Cheers are clear. No one is forced to buy if they don't like or agree with.

Beverages excluded from the program are:

• Beverages promoted and sold in souvenir glasses
  • Bottles of liquor
  • Beverages offered at the gangway
  • Beverages offered through room service, mini bars and/or other in-stateroom beverage programs
  • Sharing cocktails, floaters, pitchers, tubes and buckets
  • Beverages offered through enomatic wine machines and self-serve beer stations
  • All other beverage-related programs including merchandise, cigars and cigarettes
  • Food items

https://help.carnival.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/1106/~/cheers!-beverage-program

I stated from the beginning I know it is not included in cheers package. I asked a legitimate question why is it not allowed. You surely don't know because what you have stated doesn't make sense. As it could be said the same for purchasing it without cheers. I asked john heald and he didn't know why you can't use it either. He did reply back later and stated he found out they are not using the self dispensing wine machines anymore because of lack of use and that the wine went bad in them. But could not answer why you couldn't use the cheers program with it to start with.

I stated from the beginning I know it is not included in cheers package. I asked a legitimate question why is it not allowed. You surely don't know because what you have stated doesn't make sense. As it could be said the same for purchasing it without cheers. I asked john heald and he didn't know why you can't use it either. He did reply back later and stated he found out they are not using the self dispensing wine machines anymore because of lack of use and that the wine went bad in them. But could not answer why you couldn't use the cheers program with it to start with.

It's amazing that John Heald cant answer your question but a mere forum member who has no association with Carnival apart from allegedly being a customer can - and does so repeatedly on similar things. How odd! :D:D:D:D:D

Nope that answer doesn't work. What's to stop someone from using someone else card that doesn't have cheers. There's nothing to stop it or to stop a kid from using a parents card who doesn't have cheers. So that debunks your logic there. If that was there concern they shouldn't have the machines at all.

You're entitled to your opinion. I think it helps prevent at least some Cheers cheating and keeps the price lower than it otherwise would be.

If I wanted one of the wines in the machine against Cheers, I would walk 20 feet or so to the bar and ask for it, or ask what other bar might carry.

I'll find out if the wine machine and the beer taps are still in service next week. :-)

You're entitled to your opinion. I think it helps prevent at least some Cheers cheating and keeps the price lower than it otherwise would be.

If I wanted one of the wines in the machine against Cheers, I would walk 20 feet or so to the bar and ask for it, or ask what other bar might carry.

I'll find out if the wine machine and the beer taps are still in service next week. :-)

Fear of cheers cheating could be the reason who knows. If you will be on board next week I would definitely appreciate any information you could get. One of my original questions was if they had the same wines available at the bar if that is the case I could care less about the machine. Thank you in advance.

I have heard that you can go to the steakhouse bar and find some "better" wines and liquor. We sail in January, will have to see for myself!

Not sure about the liquor part, but the bar in the steakhouse is available to anyone. The wine list in the steakhouse does offer some different wines.

Fear of cheers cheating could be the reason who knows. If you will be on board next week I would definitely appreciate any information you could get. One of my original questions was if they had the same wines available at the bar if that is the case I could care less about the machine. Thank you in advance.

I will add to my list to check and see. :)