Divina first timer - Ocho Rios excursion

xxprettyinblkxx

Hi all, I'm getting ready to head out on my first cruise this Saturday (10/15) on the Divina and I couldn't be more excited! :D I have dreamed of visiting Jamaica, but I'm unsure of what excursion to do while in Ocho Rios. I'm not really into the whole swimming with dolphins thing and also have a terrible fear of heights (no zip line or waterfall climbs) :(

An excursion in Ocho Rios isn't a must, therefore, if anyone has any suggestions on something that isn't available through the Divina I'm all ears.

Hi all, I'm getting ready to head out on my first cruise this Saturday (10/15) on the Divina and I couldn't be more excited! :D I have dreamed of visiting Jamaica, but I'm unsure of what excursion to do while in Ocho Rios. I'm not really into the whole swimming with dolphins thing and also have a terrible fear of heights (no zip line or waterfall climbs) :(

An excursion in Ocho Rios isn't a must, therefore, if anyone has any suggestions on something that isn't available through the Divina I'm all ears.

I am doing a tour

"OCHO RIOS DUNN'S RIVER FALLS"

It is done with Island Marketing

Now I have not taken this tour yet but I have used this company before

$151 for 3 adults 1 kid (really 2 adults and 2 kids but they consider my teen an adult)

Edited by bnorris10

We are on your sailing and have been to Ocho rios at least 20+ times and have done about everything.

I saw in your other posting that you are in your 20's. You would probably like the Bobsled, it is one of my favaorites I have rode this thing 30+ times. http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica-mystic-mountain/

It is close to the ship, you can see the ship from the top. You take a sky ride up,bobsled down and they pull your bobsled back up,then sky ride down. They have a nice pool there as well. They also offer dunn's river with it as it is close by.

Dunn's river falls is near there as well as the zipline. There is no real height to the falls. They are real low all the way. Look on youtube and you will see.

This is one of our favorite islands. We have also done the caves, the river rafting float, ATVs, kayaking, diving.

The bobsled can be done on your own but in this rare case its cheaper with the ship as they provide transportation all day so when you are ready to come back. hop on a bus back.:)

I have done all the other ports as well many times so any questions, just ask.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

I would recommend Waterfalls. You don't have to climb ,we didn't ) You just go up the stairs and take beautiful pictures :) Stairs right by the fall so you will see as much as people who climb. Be ready for very rude and pushy vendors. :rolleyes: After our first trip we stay on board . :p

Hi Steve,

Have you done the Green Grotto Caves in Ocho Rios? Is it possible to do this on our own. Any knowledge of cost? We are travelling on the MSC Divina at the end of October. Any recommendations for beaches in Cozumel or Nassau?

Thanks in advance.

We are on your sailing and have been to Ocho rios at least 20+ times and have done about everything.

I saw in your other posting that you are in your 20's. You would probably like the Bobsled, it is one of my favaorites I have rode this thing 30+ times. http://www.rainforestadventure.com/jamaica-mystic-mountain/

It is close to the ship, you can see the ship from the top. You take a sky ride up,bobsled down and they pull your bobsled back up,then sky ride down. They have a nice pool there as well. They also offer dunn's river with it as it is close by.

Dunn's river falls is near there as well as the zipline. There is no real height to the falls. They are real low all the way. Look on youtube and you will see.

This is one of our favorite islands. We have also done the caves, the river rafting float, ATVs, kayaking, diving.

The bobsled can be done on your own but in this rare case its cheaper with the ship as they provide transportation all day so when you are ready to come back. hop on a bus back.:)

I have done all the other ports as well many times so any questions, just ask.

Steve

Hi Steve,

Have you done the Green Grotto Caves in Ocho Rios? Is it possible to do this on our own. Any knowledge of cost? We are travelling on the MSC Divina at the end of October. Any recommendations for beaches in Cozumel or Nassau?

Thanks in advance.

Yes I have done Green Grotto and to be honest was not impressed at all. We have done caves all over the US and other countries so we had many to compare it to. Very bland,many bats.

We did it on our own. We grabbed a driver out of the port, had him take us there and wait and then drop off in town. We agreed on a price and did not pay till we were dropped off in town.

Beach in Coz..... may favorite place in Coz is Chankanaab park Do a search for its info. They offer tons of things to see and do as well as a few eating places. As far as a nice shallow entry beach, this would not be the place.

Nassau, we always go to Atlantis and do the "dig".

Living near the beach in FL, we don't frequent the sand and sun while on a trip.

Hi Steve,

In regards to Mystic Mountain, can the sky ride be taken down instead of the bobsled? Do you know if there any beaches within walking distance to the ship? Is it safe to walk around?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Forums mobile app

You must take the sky ride down. They have a tour with out the bobsled usually

The bobsled is at the top, when your bobsled ride is over, the uniy pulls you back up to the top (so you can purchase another ride)

Yes there are beaches. If you dock at the main pier. Walk out of the terminal and on the left you will see a gate and a guard (there is also a restaurant right there as well) walk thru the gate and the marina and beach are on your left. Yes it is safe, people will try and sell you hair braids,jet ski rides, crap jewelry,ect.

On a side note here....if you want the craft market or town center continue walking on that walkway till its end (another gate with a guard) and you will be at a shopping plaza.

Walk to the main road you will see and turn left. You will see burger king. Walk towards it with out crossing the street and the market is just ahead on left.

about 10 minutes or so.

If you dock at James bond pier ( a dumpy closed aluminum plant) there is a very small little beach right there. You will see it.

Now keep in mind that these people make their money off tourist's so you will be approached (not hounded too much) and it is just the way they are. They are nice people once you get used to them. A simple no thank you normally gets it done. Beautiful island. Grab a driver ( hire private for a fixed price and bargain cheaper) for a scenic tour.

Don't accept ANY gifts. They gave you a gift, now respect them and give them one.

Steve

Edited by mscdivina2016

Thanks so much! I like the idea of the sky ride but no desire for bobsled. Sounds like that might be an option. This will be 1st time on MSC so no idea which dock, hopefully the main pier. Glad it's safe. Was docked in Falmouth a couple of years ago, constantly warned not to go past the secured area without a tour.

Thanks so much! I like the idea of the sky ride but no desire for bobsled. Sounds like that might be an option. This will be 1st time on MSC so no idea which dock, hopefully the main pier. Glad it's safe. Was docked in Falmouth a couple of years ago, constantly warned not to go past the secured area without a tour.

Got off today and we docked at the main.

You can do a tour without the bobsled. At the top they have a bar, infinity pool, water slide, things to buy. Great view of the port. When you dock, look up right to the green roof on the peak of the mountain. Thats it.

Steve