Live from Voyager--Wind, Rain, and an Extra Night in Bermuda!!!

teddie

Hello all. We are having a fantastic cruise, with an unexpected little twist...We are NOT sailing out of Bermuda today as per the itinerary. I have never heard of this happening before!

We were due to sail out of Bermuda today at 3:30 pm. At around 12:15 this afternoon, a public bus pulled over to us while we strolled the main street of St George. The driver told us that the Voyager would be departing 2 1/2 hours early---1:00 pm---because of bad weather. Apparently, all the bus and ferry drivers were enlisted to find Voayager passengers and return them to the ship!!!

A special express bus materialized to take us quickly back to Hamilton, so that we could catch the ferry awaiting us for the trip back to the Dockyard. The trip was a bit nervewracking--a slow moped in front of us prevented our driver from accelerating to the degree that she needed to expedite us . We made one stop at the Aquarium to pick up more pax.

By now, the moped was no longer an issue, but the HUGE crane vehicle lumbering along at about 5 miles per hour WAS! We managed to pass the crane on the very narrow and curvey Bermuda road. We were cheering at that moment....Oh, did I mention that it was pouring buckets?

The ferry was indeed waiting for us, and was soon packed with pax from our bus, and other equally drenched pax shopping from Hamilton.

We made it to the dockyard at 1:15 p, and shuttle buses were waiting to get us back to the ship. The Cruise Director Allan was there to greet us at the foot of the gangplank. About thirty minutes later (about 1:45 pm), the Captain announced that the ship must stay a third night in Bermuda, departing Thursday morning at 6:30 am. The reason given was the combination of high winds, and the shallower waters of the inlet...

We will not be arriving in Port Liberty until 3:30 pm Friday Nov 4, as per the Captain....I will try to keep you posted on the arrival time, should we be advised of further changes.

I, for one, am thrilled with the extended time in Bermuda, and the extended cruising time, although I am sure not everyone is happy with this change. I feel badly for those who will be scrambling to reschedule connecting flights, etc.

Feel free to post any questions if you would like....

teddie

If this is true, it sucks because I'm leaving on the 4th and the Port will be a nightmare. My guess is the captain will be cranking the speed up a notch to get the ship back in time. There are no weather problems forcast at all so I don't know what this is all about.

Oh say it isn't so! Are you kidding, you won't be back until late Friday? Please keep us updated, this really stinks for those of us who are leaving Nov. 4th and were planning on getting to the port in the early afternoon, awaiting a 5 pm departure. Any information you can give us is very much welcome, Thank You for this update.

You would think if there was a delay that RCCL would have an update on their website because the Bayonne Port would be a disaster with all of the people arriving early. There will be a lot of irate people if they are not notified. How could RCCL screw up that bad and not know there were high winds in the forecast?

Well, here it is. This is the rain that moved through the Midwest. They could not see this coming?

Heavy Rain Shower and Windy77°F

Feels Like

82°F

Updated Nov 2 06:55 p.m. Local TimeUV Index:blank.gif0 LowWind:blank.gifFrom WSW at 35 mph

gusting to 43 mphHumidity:blank.gif94%Pressure:blank.gif29.92 in. blank.gif

Hi again--just returned from the Vibeolgy show--excellent performances all around...

Yes, I will keep you posed the best I can regarding any additional schedule changes. I am using dial-up, and the CC boards load particularly slow.

NJMets, the Captain did inform us on Tuesday that skies in Bermuda would be overcast, and rainy at times for Wednesday. I know it's a hassle for alot of people, but I won't second guess the Captain, nor RCI on their decision.

If we left Bermuda a day early, the pax on this cruise would be disgruntled. Now, the Nov 4th cruisers will be potentially disgruntled. When it comes to nature and weather, there will always be someone dissatisfied, unfortunately.

Anyhow, I understand everyone's concern, and hopefully all will end up well.....

I hear what you are saying but by not planning properly and getting the ship out of port, RCCL screwed up. Their obligations should be to make sure the ships stay on schedule. People on your trip will be majorly inconvenienced by missing flights and those supposed to be leaving on the 4th who are coming in early to the port will have to sit around the dreadful port for hours. Those of us with small children are not going to be happy.

Bermuda weather is unpredictable. They had an unforecast storm come out of nowhere a few years ago with 90 mph winds. There are some wild photos around of one of the cruise ships, I think it was NCL's, with a couple tugboats trying to hold it to the dock when the concrete blocks they were tied to came out of the ground. The tugs lost the battle eventually but the ship managed to stay off the rocks and not hit anything! We were warned on our Celebrity cruise that if the winds didn't subside we weren't getting out of St. George till they did. I think the people sitting around the port would be a lot more disgruntled if the ship ended up on the reef. Not to mention the folks on the ship.

I hear what you are saying but by not planning properly and getting the ship out of port, RCCL screwed up. Their obligations should be to make sure the ships stay on schedule. People on your trip will be majorly inconvenienced by missing flights and those supposed to be leaving on the 4th who are coming in early to the port will have to sit around the dreadful port for hours. Those of us with small children are not going to be happy.

The following is from the OP. The reason given was the combination of high winds, and the shallower waters of the inlet...

Makes perfect sense to me. RCCL's obligation is to keep the passengers safe. Would that be the case if they always stayed on schedule no matter what??

Here is the notice we just received in our Cruise Compass. It seems that the Port Authority of Bermuda will not allow the ship to leave Bermuda:

[November 2, 2005

Dear Voyager of the Seas Guest,

We are writing to provide you updated information regarding your cruise.

As you are aware, Bermuda is under a spell of adverse weather conditions, which will last until late evening today. Due to visibility and navigational issues the Port Authorities will not let the ship depart until 6:15 am on Thursday, November 3rd, which will delay our arrival to Bayonne until late afternoon on Friday, November 4th.

We are continuing to make all efforts to make your stay as comfortable as possible as your safety and comfort are always the froemost concern of Royal Caribbean International.

Sincerely,

Captain Erik Tengelsen

Master

Voyager of the Seas]

NJMetsFan "Those of us with small children are not going to be happy. "

You could have left that part out. Having children does not make you "special". All boarding passengers will be inconvenienced. But there is nothing that can be done about it.

Yes, it's been a bad year for hurricanes. Really, I don't think they make changes just to annoy passengers. What are they going to do? Sail into the bad weather or hurricane so everyone can experience blinding rain and rough water and seasickness? They have to make weather related changes.

And I was really ticked off in 1997, when our Mexican Riviera Cruise was diverted to San Francisco, CA. But it was before the internet was poular and passenger safety always comes first. These sort of schedule changes have always occurred...we just never heard about them:)

You could have left that part out. Having children does not make you "special". All boarding passengers will be inconvenienced. But there is nothing that can be done about it.

Yes, it's been a bad year for hurricanes. Really, I don't think they make changes just to annoy passengers. What are they going to do? Sail into the bad weather or hurricane so everyone can experience blinding rain and rough water and seasickness? They have to make weather related changes.

In the same vain, not having children doesn't make you any more or less special either. I just hope that you have that beauty back to Bayonne on time for my November 13th sailing!!!!

Hey all is good!!!! :)

Consider yourself lucky for the "heads up". Now you and your small children can take your time and not rush to the port. right?

Have a happy safe voyage!!!!

Sorry to hear you are having bad weather--I sure would like an extra day in Bermuda.

Hi Linda,

Here's the (unscientific) weather report

Our cruise has had excellent weather until this final day in Bermuda.

On sail day out of Bayonne, it was sunny and comfortable enough to be up top while leaving the harbor and going under the Verrazanno Bridge. (awesome moment, btw)

On the second day, we were swimming and sunning by the pools. 81 degrees F. Sunblock in use!

Third day in Bermuda was gorgeous, high 70's. Horseshoe Beach is absolutely beautiful.

Day four in Bermuda--started out blustery and drizzly. Then the winds picked up, and the sky opened. The rest of this story you already know.

I'll put together a trip report soon!

We have left Bermuda--this morning at around 6:00 am...

Today is sunny, breezy and just great weather-wise.

We received official notice in writing from the Captain a few moments ago--the ship is still due to arrive in Bayonne at 3:30 PM friday...RCI is covering airline change fees up to $1100/per person, whether you booked air from them or not.

More later, off to Johnny Rockets

Teddie

We have left Bermuda--this morning at around 6:00 am...

Today is sunny, breezy and just great weather-wise.

We received official notice in writing from the Captain a few moments ago--the ship is still due to arrive in Bayonne at 3:30 PM friday...RCI is covering airline change fees up to $100/per person, whether you booked air from them or not.

More later, off to Johnny Rockets

Teddie

Teddie.....did RCI say they were notifying the airlines? There are some posts on here about a European cruise recently where RCI said they were handling airline notifications and didn't. I hope they handle this delay better than they did that one.

Gail

Teddie.....did RCI say they were notifying the airlines? There are some posts on here about a European cruise recently where RCI said they were handling airline notifications and didn't. I hope they handle this delay better than they did that one.

Gail

Gail--According to the latest notice from the captain, pax who booked air via RCI that depart before 9 PM Friday, will have thier flights rescheduled by RCI, including hotel if needed. Info to that effect will be delivered to the pax's stateroom.

Pax who booked air on their own must reschedule their own flights. RCI stated they will "open our phonelines to assist these guests in making their new arrangements"

RCI states that they will reimburse up to $100/per person for rebooking fees.

Archived