Leaving extra gratuity...

We had considered giving tips ahead of time, but I agree that it feels more like a bribe and may not do anything to improve service. But I do agree that tipping the bartenders extra along the way always improves service, and they make an effort to get to know you and your preferences. Some of our best drink recommendations have come from friendly bartenders!

We left an envelope in the room for our steward the last day rather than tracking them down.

And to the OP -- enjoy your first cruise!!!!

We ask at check in three weeks ago and we're told no.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

On our Oasis Easter cruise they were exposed by GS, however, on our Aug. 25th Anthem cruise, we had to ask GS as they were hidden in one of the side cabinets.

i'm sure the extra tipping of 1ers, on top of the 18% we pay per drink adds to the grumpyness of some bar staff,

as

if you don't bung a 1er you may get a grumpy response from bar staff. or find yourself waiting longer at the bar.

surely 18% to take the top off a bottle of beer is enough

1. Is it possible on Royal to go to Guest Services to increase the daily service charge?

2. Can Onboard Credit be used for this?

I remembered watching the cabin TV on one of the RCI channel on my recent cruise that you can increase gratuity by visiting Guest Services.

You can use your onboard credit to cover the gratuity but I believe there might be some different type of OBC that you can't.

I learned from some here. Last trip we took a bunch of $1 bills. I had never seen done, but was told it happens, tipping the bartender. We tipped our bartender regularly and I believed it made our cruise much better. I would tip a $1 cash. The bartenders seemed to like the cash idea.

Of course they liked it. You gave them a 30-40% tip. (18% plus $1.00)

Hey everyone! I'm going on my first cruise next month. I know about the auto gratuity that they will add to our account. I currently work in the hospitality industry so I know what it's like to live on tips. I plan on leaving extra for both my servers and our room steward. My question is what's the best way to get the tip to the people who deserve it? I know I'll see our servers so that's easy...but what about the room stewards? Should I leave it in our state room or will I see them enough to hand it to them?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Given how we see and meet the room cleaners at hotels, it will seem really odd- but it's likely that not only will you meet your room steward, you may even get to know and/or like them.

For sure, we meet them the first day- as they stop by and check on you, as well as make sure you are out at the Muster drill. For the rest of the trip- it's common that we run into them in the halls, and they always ask how things are going, if you need anything etc.

Other than that, I'm sure you will see often exactly who you want to give more to.

We always use the automatic prepaid gratuity. My DW and DS both have celiacs so we normally have the wait staff jumping threw hoops. For this reason we always give extra in cash to the head waiter and his or her assistant. Also the MDR floor manager that brings us the menu for the next day's orders. RC does a fantastic job making sure they are well fed. If the room steward does a good job we normally will seek him out on the last full day and thank him personally and give him a little extra. Remember the prepaid takes care of everyone especially the behind the scenes that you don't think about.

I recall a cruise a few years back that every time we turned around we ran into the same staff member. Doing everything from disinfecting handrails to serving drinks and handing out towels. Day or night she was everywhere. At the end of the cruise we asked her name and her supervisors name and handed her an envelope. We felt good recognizing someone that was working so hard behind the scenes.

Why are there so many comments about removing gratuities????

The OP asked about how to give EXTRA gratuities, leaving the original in place.

Because there is a large group of people out there who want to be told it's OK to remove gratuities if they intend to tip someone something.

Deep down inside, they don't want to feel cheap.

Because there is a large group of people out there who want to be told it's OK to remove gratuities if they intend to tip someone something.

Deep down inside, they don't want to feel cheap.

Sure, I agree.

But that's not what was asked.

It gets old that we divert into a "leave your tips in"- especially considering that the original question was to INCREASE the tips, and how to deal with it.

Edited by alfaeric

Sure, I agree.

But that's not what was asked.

It gets old that we divert into a "leave your tips in"- especially considering that the original question was to INCREASE the tips, and how to deal with it.

Well then to return to the topic: in the past (can't say that they still do this) I have gone to the front desk (Royal ships) and filled out a form that added an extra tip to a certain employee and it was taken from my unused OBC (yes, the non-refundable OBC given by Royal). I then told said employee so that they would know and be sure that they got it. Said employee later told me on the next cruise that he ended up having to ask for it but did end up getting it.

Well then to return to the topic: in the past (can't say that they still do this) I have gone to the front desk (Royal ships) and filled out a form that added an extra tip to a certain employee and it was taken from my unused OBC (yes, the non-refundable OBC given by Royal). I then told said employee so that they would know and be sure that they got it. Said employee later told me on the next cruise that he ended up having to ask for it but did end up getting it.

Good lord- even the TITLE of the thread says "Leaving extra gratuity".

Why they have to devolve into threads that have been going on forever is totally beyond me. Some of you just like to change the subject just to argue.

OP:

Put extra money in envelope- preferably the "wow" envelope, hand to person you wish to give extra gratuity to. Done.