Dawn VS Jade for December 2016 Which one?

kabbpres

Hi we are looking at a Dec 2016 Cruise on either the Dawn out of New Orleans or the Jade out of Tampa. We were on the Dawn in May 2016 before the reno and have never been on the Jade.

Which would you chose and why? I will probably get a spa pass and did enjoy the Dawns spa in May. Just like to get more info. Thanks so much

I have never been on the Jade either, so this is just my opinion. I loved the Dawn before it was renovated so I'm sure it is even better now. Plus I love NOLA. I would choose Dawn for those reasons. Just look at the port that you would enjoy more and maybe read some recent reviews on both. Sorry, I know that's not a completely informed answer, but hope it helps a little. Have a great time either way!!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by mickev99

Hi we are looking at a Dec 2016 Cruise on either the Dawn out of New Orleans or the Jade out of Tampa. We were on the Dawn in May 2016 before the reno and have never been on the Jade.

Which would you chose and why? I will probably get a spa pass and did enjoy the Dawns spa in May. Just like to get more info. Thanks so much

I would choose the Jade because I like the Spinnaker observation lounge with its wonderful windows for viewing, high above the bow.

On the Dawn they put cabins there instead.

Also, the Jade has The Great Outdoors outside the buffet, a seating area with aft view.

I have been on the Dawn many times, and have enjoyed each cruise. However, I'd be interested in trying the Jade for reasons mention in the above post. I did enjoy my cruises aboard the Gem, Jewel, and Pearl which have similar layouts.

Which ports will the Jade visit? If similar to the Dawn, the Jade would be my choice.

I would choose the Jade because I like the Spinnaker observation lounge with its wonderful windows for viewing, high above the bow.

Do we know if they intend to do the same to Jade ?

Unfortunately, I've only done the Jade (2 weeks ago) so can't compare. However, I thoroughly enjoyed Jade so I doubt you'd be disappointed if you picked her. The Spinnaker lounge was a definite plus, as mentioned above, and she also has a very nice spa. The crew were also very friendly.

Also, the Jade has The Great Outdoors outside the buffet, a seating area with aft view.

Agree 100%. Love the Dawn, but would choose Jade for these reasons.

Two great reasons to try the Jade. I loved both of those things when we sailed the Jewel.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 2 weeks later...

We just got off the Jade and loved it. The buffet was the best ever. We were in Greece and hitting a new port every day so sometimes too tired to go to restraunt so was very happy with buffet. Has THe Great Outdoors which we love on sea days. It was cool so never used the pool. Very roomy and easy to navigate. Never had a problem getting a seat for shows which were excellent. Service was great. Ice cream 24 hours and all machines worked. Crew is happy and all worked hard. Washy washy at all time at doors so no sickness on the ship. There were not constant announcements of promotions and photograhers bugging us. All the kids seemed to be having fun but we don't have any. It looks so good my husband thought it was just out of rehab but it is actually ready to go in soon. I've heard the Dawn is not as good as it was when we sailed her and loved her 5 year a ago.

My daughters and I just returned from a cruise on the Jade. We were pretty disappointed in the ship. I have cruised three other cruise lines in the past and they were all far nicer than the Jade. The food was okay, nothing too special in the dining areas. The service was so slow we spent over two hours eating dinner.We did get good food in the Japanese restaurant. The staff were unfriendly, all except our room steward. Our room was supposed to sleep three adults but it had two twin beds and a pull out couch. The couch was so short that my feet hung off the end and I am only 5'3. The decor of the ship was all Hawaiian, outdated and many areas of the ship had a foul smell. We did enjoy the itinerary but for the money that we spent I think the food should have been better. I like the free style dining but feel everyone should be able to eat at any of the restaurants without paying extra.On the only day at sea only one of the main restaurants was open for 1.5 hours at a time for both breakfast and lunch which meant you couldn't "sleep in" unless you were happy to eat the buffet which I didn't want everyday. I think the automatic service charge of $13.50 pp per day is a deterrent for the employees to work hard to please the guests and they have no incentive to be friendly. The 18% gratuity on drinks is a little high. Several of our drinks were so bad tasting that we threw them away. The entertainment was okay but the variety of things to do was minimal unless you are willing to fork out tons of money. My daughter has cruised on the Spirit and she loved it and thought we would equally enjoy the Jade but there was no comparison.