celebrity ripoff!!!!!! Never Again

rt1092

RT,

I'm sorry this happened to you. Its a horrible deal. Would it be cheaper for her to be in her own inside or oceanview? I've seen cabins on this cruise recently go for $400pp!!

I'll be sailing with you too. Despite this unexpected problem, I'm certain its going to be a fabulous trip.

Now I know that. But when I was booking Nobody told me that, and I definitely asked about it both from the cruise line who couldnt change my booking because it was booked thru expedia.com What I considered a travel agent at the time.

I learn by my mistakes

Thanks for the nice post

But those cabins were sold a while back and they were per person dual ocupancy plus port charges and taxes which would have run at least $1100.

They had me and they know it

RT said he booked while onboard a RCCL cruise & from previous experiance I can say that is not always good as those folks from future sales are often no goood at all as Sales is not their regular job onboard - it is something they have to do along side their other jobs. That makes buying onboard really dangerous especially when you don't have the answers to certain things in writing....... Sometimes they have absolutly no idea what the are doing!!!! That is why it is so important to use a good TA afterwards. Unless you know exactly what you are doing (RT without getting on your toes -this time round you didn't know exactly what you were doing otherwise you would have known about the double only rule for Garantees) hand it over to an Agent after the cruise for safety.

RT said he booked while onboard a RCCL cruise & from previous experiance I can say that is not always good as those folks from future sales are often no goood at all as Sales is not their regular job onboard - it is something they have to do along side their other jobs.

Interesting. I don't know about RCCL, but on X I am pretty sure that Future Sales is a full-time position and they aren't doing it along-side anything else.

How do I know this, you may ask? My girlfriend is eventually going to be applying for such a position once she's done "playing with the kids" as a Youth Counselor.

Whenever we have booked a cruise in the past, we always book everyone who may want to go. It's far easier to cancel than it is to add at a later date.

To the OP, I'm sorry this didn't work out the way you had anticipated. Unfortunately, it could happen on any cruise line, not just Celebrity. I'm not quite sure why a person would be happier on Carnival than Celebrity (or any other cruise line!) but, to each his own.

I can't see how you got blindsided.You must have agreed to something or didn't understand something at time of booking There's something that's not being said here somewhere. I booked a Cat 3. It's a family suite. There are 2 more people going with us for a total of 4 in a cabin. The 3rd and 4th person was 400 pp. What is this $1000 extra for 1 more person???? This makes no sense to me. I must have REALLY missed something here.

A side note..Hi Gail!! Hope you had a great time on the Galaxy.

Jeff

I do all the investigation on what I want myself then call my TA and tell her what I want to do. She asks me what price I was quoted and tells me she can either match or better the price. TA all the way. I can't understand why people insist on doing things on their own and taking jobs away from people. Yes, I can get the same deal on my own but I just helped my TA keep her job and it COST ME NOTHING. Plus, if I have issues with my plans I just dump my issues on her and let her deal with it. Love that people like to be independent, but please think about what your doing to the economy help people keep their jobs!

you want me to be your agent? LOL

seriously I have a favorite client that does much of what you do and I love him. He still depends on me for a lot and knows I will pick up on a problem quicker than he will, not to mention I will remind him of final payment if he isn't paying the total up front.Quite often he doesn't as he cruises 4 or 5 times a year and often books a year in advance. We are not perfect, but we do come in handy. NMnita

It is encouraging to read that most people do value the services of a TA and understand the risk of using the "big three". Many thanks for that support.

Naturally, some people just don't get it but I am glad to see they appear to be the minority. I can even see kruisecat's point though I do not agree. She/he thinks they can control their destiny better than anyone else. Fine, if there is a problem they will have no one to run to or to blame.

As for Carnival vs. Celebrity that is a bit like Ford vs. Cadillac now isn't it?

Princess or HAL maybe, rt1092, but not Carnival!!

As for the sales on board each line may be different. Princess seems to have fairly competent people as far as I can tell from bookings turned over but that doesn't mean on occassion another employeed doesn't step in to cover absences etc. That could happen on any ship/line.

It is encouraging to read that most people do value the services of a TA and understand the risk of using the "big three". Many thanks for that support.

Naturally, some people just don't get it but I am glad to see they appear to be the minority. I can even see kruisecat's point though I do not agree. She/he thinks they can control their destiny better than anyone else. Fine, if there is a problem they will have no one to run to or to blame.

As for Carnival vs. Celebrity that is a bit like Ford vs. Cadillac now isn't it?

Princess or HAL maybe, rt1092, but not Carnival!!

As for the sales on board each line may be different. Princess seems to have fairly competent people as far as I can tell from bookings turned over but that doesn't mean on occassion another employeed doesn't step in to cover absences etc. That could happen on any ship/line.

When we took our first cruise thirty years ago, we booked it through a travel agent in Manhattan, who had an excellent reputation, close to where we then lived. On the morning of our cruise we realized that the specific pier was not indicated on our cruise tickets so we called our travel agent, who had no idea, but said she would check with the cruise line. A few hours later, it was time for the cab to pick us up to take us to the pier, and we had not yet heard back from our travel agent. My husband then remembered that the New York Times for that day would have that information, which it did. That was the first time I realized that a travel agent is good for facillitating a transaction but you can't depend on them when you have a problem. I still feel the same way. Unless a travel agent can save me a few bucks, I don't think there is any advantage of using one. Even then, I won't use an agent unless they are a storefront business with a good reputation.

Phil - I've booked both ways and frankly didn't get anything from a TA (not meaning stuff) than I got by doing the research myself. I am a very informed consumer and like to be in control. This is my personal opinion. And the way I like to do it. TA's are a great asset to those who do not want to do the research I like to do. And while it is no $$ out of my pocket, why should someone get it if I've done all the work?

Good for you, " I am a very informed consumer" and well you should be.

However, I just don't get your attitude "why should someone else get it, I have done all of the work" I am sure that you research when you buy a car,a house or any other major puchase, do you begudge the salesman thier commision, because you did al the work? (research) ???:confused:

Geeze!

Phil

After reading the above posts, I'm beginning to think I should transfer the booking I made through Celebrity's website to a TA. I know there have been threads about how to find a good one, but the search function is misbehaving. I also know that we're not allowed to name names. Can anyone make some suggestions about how to find a reputable TA?

I'm open to reputable online TA's. I work night shift, so I'd rather communicate by email anyway.

Thanks!

However, I just don't get your attitude "why should someone else get it, I have done all of the work" I am sure that you research when you buy a car,a house or any other major puchase, do you begudge the salesman thier commision, because you did al the work? (research) ???:confused:

Geeze!

Phil

Your post reminds me of something most people forget. There is a difference between merely facilitating a transaction, which is what most travel agents do, and doing a lot more to earn a commission. For example, real estate agents prequalify potential buyers which minimizes the odds of a deal falling apart at the last minute because a buyer didn't qualify for his/her mortgage.

I can't see how you got blindsided.You must have agreed to something or didn't understand something at time of booking There's something that's not being said here somewhere. I booked a Cat 3. It's a family suite. There are 2 more people going with us for a total of 4 in a cabin. The 3rd and 4th person was 400 pp. What is this $1000 extra for 1 more person???? This makes no sense to me. I must have REALLY missed something here.

Jeff

The original poster booked a guarantee. You cannot book a guarantee for more than 2 people in a cabin. You can try it on Celebrity's website. On our transatlantic this month, when I put in 2 people there is a guarantee cabin for cat 2C. When I put in 3 people, there are no category 2C guarantees.

Since the poster wanted to add a third person, he could not be in a guarantee cabin (with a guarantee, he might end up in a cabin for 2 with no additional beds). So he would have to purchase an upgrade to the specific category he wanted at the current website price - not the price he originally booked at. Also adding the third person at a later time means that the price of the third person is at the current website rate for the category.

After reading the above posts, I'm beginning to think I should transfer the booking I made through Celebrity's website to a TA. I know there have been threads about how to find a good one, but the search function is misbehaving. I also know that we're not allowed to name names. Can anyone make some suggestions about how to find a reputable TA?

I'm open to reputable online TA's. I work night shift, so I'd rather communicate by email anyway.

Thanks!

We have an excellent TA who is used by many of our cruise critic family. If you will email me, I'll send you the information. The link to my email is in my signature below.

Garry

Geeze!

Phil

Phil, I agree with you...I've done the research, know what I want, and then turn it over to my TA for booking....I always felt it was the follow-through after the booking was of importance to me. The "just in case" scenarios that can occur. That 3rd party intervention is cruicial to achieve the total satisfaction.

Karyn

The original poster booked a guarantee. You cannot book a guarantee for more than 2 people in a cabin. You can try it on Celebrity's website. On our transatlantic this month, when I put in 2 people there is a guarantee cabin for cat 2C. When I put in 3 people, there are no category 2C guarantees.

Since the poster wanted to add a third person, he could not be in a guarantee cabin (with a guarantee, he might end up in a cabin for 2 with no additional beds). So he would have to purchase an upgrade to the specific category he wanted at the current website price - not the price he originally booked at. Also adding the third person at a later time means that the price of the third person is at the current website rate for the category.

Thanks Hajekfam,

I get the guarentee thing now, but no matter what, a 3rd or 4th in a cabin, as long the cabin is set up for more than 2 only, is still only 400 pp plus tax.

And where DID expedia come into the picture if it was booked on board:confused: :confused:

Jeff

Argument aside...

I find some pretty good deals for myself all the time... yet, I still use my TA to book things for me...

Why... you ask?

Point in case... My next cruise is on Constellation in April '06... I found the cruise, found the pricing... and went to Dave (my TA) and said... "Book it"...

My original booking was and outside room... at about $1700 pp...

Since that time, because I have my TA working FOR ME.... I've been upgraded twice and rebooked in a category 2B (deck 7 balcony) ... and I've SAVED $700 total...

Why???? Cause my travel agent is on the ball, and is working FOR ME.

First. Expedia was the agent I had used many times before. When you book on board you can tranfer it to your agent.

Second. My first bokking was not a guaranty The gave me the cabin number as I booked it. When I upgraded I was changed to the guaranty. I asked about a third person at that time and was told as long as the cabin could accomodate 3 it would not be a problem. Celebrity had already assigned cabin # 7187 to us, it has a sofa bed for the third person. When I called to add the third person celebrity said the price for the 2 original people would change to over $3000 plus the 500 or so for the third person. Our price before adding the third person was $1500 total for the 2 of us not per person. So basicily to add the third person would cost $2000. Do I make myself clear about this.

I now understand about not being able to book a guaranty for 3 people. But was not told anything about it then even when I asked direct questions about the third person. A very simple "you cant bring a third person in on a guaranty cabin" would have been more than adequate. But this was never said, and I was actually misled by celebrity. Then the tap dancing that has been done by them since has been rediculous. Trying to tell me that the cruise wasnt booked till July etc. When I faxed the invoice to them at first they denied that it was valid.

Archived