Divina Buffet - Gala Night

CruisingMom77

We are booked on a Caribbean cruise next April on the Divina. I have been reading conflicting information regarding the dress code for formal nights, gala nights etc. Since we will be flying into Miami we will have to deal with luggage restrictions etc. and I do not want to bring stuff unless we really have to. What is the dress code for the MDR on a non-formal (gala) night? Would my husband be OK wearing long pants (not jeans) with a shirt or collared polo shirt? For the formal nights, in case we cannot bring our more formal outfits due to luggage restrictions, can we skip the MDR those nights and go to the buffet? I assume that gala night dress code does not apply if you eat your dinner at the buffet.

We only did one cruise 2 years ago which was Disney and their dress code on the formal night was not enforced. I saw people dressed up but also people wearing jeans, shorts even in the MDR. We did our best, dressed nicely, but definitely no tux, jackets or tie for my husband.

Any thoughts, or recent experiences would be appreciated.  Thank you.

I am just off Divina Saturday (10/15). I wore black slacks and a white linen shirt to the MDR on formal nights. I wore black shorts and polo shirts on the other nights. Not a problem. A good place for lunch or snacks is the Sports Bar. Sandwiches, wings etc. no additional charge. For a great dining experience try Galaxy (additional charge)

We sailed last week on the Divina. Many people did not wear formal clothing on gala nights. Some did, but most wore resort casual clothing. We also saw jeans & t-shirts & shorts every night in the dining room. Formal wear was recommended, but not enforced.

There were 10 of us, and we did not enjoy lunches or dinners in the buffet. We stopped eating there about mid-week. There was plenty of food, but the selections were not to our liking. The pizza was very good and there were always hot dogs & hamburgers. Overall, we had great service. Our dining staff & room stewards were very good. Average dining time was about 90 minutes. We had a very relaxing and enjoyable cruise and would not hesitate to sail MSC again and are already planning to book the Seaside. We will just avoid the buffet unless food selections change.

Breakfast was the usual - eggs, waffles, pancakes, sausage, bacon, toast -etc.

The lunches and dinners usually had pastas, rice, some kind of fish. On some nights there was carved meat, but the lines were so long we did not wait. They also seemed to run out of a lot of selections early and took a long time to replace them. Our friends waited 10 minutes one night for them to replace rice they wanted in their gumbo and finally gave up. We are meat & potato kind of people and had a hard time finding the kind of food we like at the buffet.

Dress code was apparently not enforced in MDR on formal night. I saw two guys in T and jeans walked right in after they cut in line in front of me. I was hoping the hostess would turn them away but she just looked the other way.

Edited by sfaaa

• 4 months later...

I know this thread is from last year, but I remember a thread that I posted on a similar topic seemed to get a little more strict responses as to the dress code on gala nights. Has the dress code changed on Divina?

I know this thread is from last year, but I remember a thread that I posted on a similar topic seemed to get a little more strict responses as to the dress code on gala nights. Has the dress code changed on Divina?

We sailed Feb 11. In the dailies it gave the "Suggested Dress Code" for the night. So it is just a suggestion. Most dressed up more on formal nights but I don't think they would turn you away. I didn't really look to see who was in dress code and who wasn't.