Recently off Conquest -- any questions?, plus some answers

Pellaz

Do you know what plantinum gifts were available?.....visors?

Sorry, I don't. I think I'm 60 nights at sea short of being platinum.

Glad to hear they've added some items to the late-night pizza menu. Were the lines very long?

Yes, they could get kinda long and service was a bit slow.

In answer to another question, the "Plus" additions to the Pizza Pirate menu (11pm - 1am) do NOT have an additional charge.

Any thoughts on the piano bar? Did the piano player draw a big crowd?

Sorry, I didn't go by there too often in the evenings.

Best place to dance?

Probably the dance club on the Promenade, which was hoppin' even late at night. (Sounded like rap and hip-hop which isn't my thang.)

Did you see any of the shows? If so, what did you think?

We saw part of the 80s pop show and thought it was pretty well done, although some of the voices didn't mesh too well. (They were covering a lot of 80s material, so that's to be expected.) I did not see the Rock show the following night and the dance-captain told us during the Behind the Scenes tour apologetically that they'd had to cut back on the show due to staffing issues (usually means someone was hurt or too sick to perform).

There was also a new stage show, Flicks, on the last night but I didn't make it.

Thanks in advance. We sail on her in 38 days. :D

Dang, I wish I was. :)

On the Magic, Guys was open till 6 pm.....:)

It was open 'til 6 on Conquest as well, and fleet-wide. The line could get long but it moves pretty quickly.

The new BBQ place and the Blue Iguana Cantina are both lunch-only and close at 2 or 2:30 pm.

The oft-overlooked Deli (Lido Deck 9 midships) is open until 11 pm, and that's almost certainly why Pizza Pirate expands its free menu from 11 - 1. (The lasagna and other added items are still free.)

Pizza Pirate also sells soft-drinks and Angry Orchard cider, which theoretically makes it the latest-hours bar on the ship...albeit with a limited bar menu. :D

How was the cruise director? Was she lively?

She sounded lively over the PA. Her catch-phrase (they all have one :) ) is "Bye for now!"

I never actually met her, although she was on the other side of the stage curtain -- which was closed -- when we were onstage during the Behind the Fun tour.

On the Magic, Guys was open till 6 pm.....:)

I think it was the same on Conquest in July but I consider that lunch as it closed before our early dining time. (and was already closed by the time we returned from excursions)

But yeah, if a cruiser wasn't planning to eat in MDR/Steakhouse later on, a Guy's burger would be great at 5:30~6:00. Certainly higher on my personal scale than Lido buffet (not that the food there is bad, I just don't care for buffets on land or at sea. Too much stress wondering who doesn't police their kids. Or sometimes the adults lol.)

Thanks to everyone who responded about my question concerning Guy's Burgers. It sounds like a great alternative and it's good to know it's complimentary.

Royal Caribbean has something similar called Johnny Rockets. It has a fun, old-time retro 50's malt shop vibe and décor. The food is great but there is a small extra charge. We usually eat there at least once on our cruises.

Next time we cruise on Carnival, we will give Guy's a try.

I am sailing on the six night cruise in November with the same ports as your cruise. Can you please tell me what night was the formal night? Thanks.

For our cruise, formal nights were the second night (would have been after HMC had we made the port) and the fifth night (after Grand Turk).

Were you in a 6 or 7 night cruise? Just curious if Lobster was served (complimentary of course) on a 6 night.

Yes indeed, lobster tails were served on the first formal night. They are served on cruises that are 6 nights or longer, and this sailing qualified.

Our waiter encouraged our lobster-eatin' folks to have a second one. They expect people to have two or sometimes three. :)

Did you enjoy UTurn in the lobby bar in the evening ?

Yes, we did. Not every cover song was a gem but we liked 'em. Our friends on the cruise are actually in a cover band and their singer was singing along with the band during some of the songs. :)

For our cruise, formal nights were the second night (would have been after HMC had we made the port) and the fifth night (after Grand Turk).

Yes indeed, lobster tails were served on the first formal night. They are served on cruises that are 6 nights or longer, and this sailing qualified.

Our waiter encouraged our lobster-eatin' folks to have a second one. They expect people to have two or sometimes three. :)

Awesome... My husband will be pleased.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We were on the Conquest sailing that returned on the 15th, so it's still fresh in my mind. If you have any questions about the ship, fire away!

Some observations:

-- We were NOT asked if we wanted once- or twice-daily room service, and we got morning and evening service. Our steward was great.

-- The Pizza Pirate "Plus" menu is from 11pm - 1am, and they expand the menu to include beef lasagna and a rotating option of a meatball hoagie, chicken parmesan or sausage and peppers, along with the usual pizza offerings and caesar salads.

-- the new Ol' Fashioned BBQ location (formerly Fish'n'Chips, Deck 10 mid) was really good for a free/included eatery. I liked the BBQ beef best, followed by the pork, and then the chicken. There was never a line of more than two people there when I went. It's still not shown on Carnival's official deck plans, nor is the Seafood Corner on Deck 9 aft.

-- MDR service was among the best we've ever had on any cruise. Kudos to Andy and his crew!

-- We had aft balcony cabin 8450 and had NO idea it was half again as large as the other aft extended balcony cabins. It was, frankly, awesome. :D

-- We missed HMC and according to the Captain during the BtF tour, it sustained major damage. I'm now only 2-for-5 in attempts to make it to HMC. :(

-- We took the southern route past Cuba back to FLL from Grand Turk instead of the shorter "over the top" route because, per the Captain, they would have had to drain all the pools and hot-tubs due to swells from Hurricane Nicole if we'd gone the more northerly route. (We arrived at Grand Turk at 7:30 and left at 4:30, a half-hour early each time, to help make up the time and distance.)

-- Ports we made were Amber Cove and Grand Turk; we really enjoyed both. We did the "Secluded Villa" excursion at AC and thought it was great.

Go ahead with any questions!

Thanks for the update. I'll be on Conquest in 2 weeks. I agree Carnival has not been very upfront about the changes made to the restaurants since I made my booking. I was really disappointed the Fish and Chips is gone after I booked. I'll be interested in trying the BBQ place you mentioned since it's included, and will try the BBQ beef first based on your recommendation. I'm certain I won't be trying the Seafood Corner since it is for-a-fee now and the former Fish and Chips place was included.

I'm also glad to hear the cabin steward service is still intact at twice a day without having to beg.

I'm disappointed to hear HMC had extensive damage. I have a cabana booked, but it sounds like that beach day may not happen. If it doesn't, this will be 3 out of 4 of my most recent attempts at visiting HMC that didn't happen due to weather. Thank goodness for Grand Turk in the same itinerary. Those are 2 of my favorite ports.

I have a cabin booked on Lido deck, and it's a freebie booking, so I'll just be happy to enjoy Carnival's exceptional service. I haven't been on Conquest since 2013 so I'm really happy to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

Do you know if there is any sushi upstairs in Lido buffet area? A lady on the Glory (another Conquest class ship) showed a picture of Sushi at Sea. Wonder if they had put anything like that on Conquest?

I don't recall any location specifically for sushi, sorry.

I'm a big fan of Mongolian Wok, and I really hate that it wasn't on Conquest. This makes two cruises in a row, on Conquest, that didn't have it.

To counterbalance the lack of Asian cuisine onboard, we stopped at a Chinese buffet during the drive down to Fla., and the drive back up. :)

Thanks for the update. I'll be on Conquest in 2 weeks. I agree Carnival has not been very upfront about the changes made to the restaurants since I made my booking. I was really disappointed the Fish and Chips is gone after I booked. I'll be interested in trying the BBQ place you mentioned since it's included, and will try the BBQ beef first based on your recommendation. I'm certain I won't be trying the Seafood Corner since it is for-a-fee now and the former Fish and Chips place was included.

Most CruiseCritic reports on the quality vs. the price at Seafood Corner have been positive.

Note that per others, the $12 price for "Lobster Roll" actually includes two, not one.

I'm disappointed to hear HMC had extensive damage. I have a cabana booked, but it sounds like that beach day may not happen. If it doesn't, this will be 3 out of 4 of my most recent attempts at visiting HMC that didn't happen due to weather. Thank goodness for Grand Turk in the same itinerary. Those are 2 of my favorite ports.

Mine, too. I am now only 2-for-5 for getting to HMC. The damage there has been repaired and ships are now calling there again. Still no guarantee for your sailing, but hurricane damage should not be the reason for missing it, if you do.

I have a cabin booked on Lido deck, and it's a freebie booking, so I'll just be happy to enjoy Carnival's exceptional service. I haven't been on Conquest since 2013 so I'm really happy to read your post. Thanks for sharing!

You're welcome. :)

-- We had aft balcony cabin 8450 and had NO idea it was half again as large as the other aft extended balcony cabins. It was, frankly, awesome. :D

You guys didn't happen to get any pictures of the room or the balcony? We are staying in the same room on Nov 20th. Thanks for everything you have shared.

You guys didn't happen to get any pictures of the room or the balcony? We are staying in the same room on Nov 20th. Thanks for everything you have shared.

Yes, I did. I'm trying to remember how to post them within a message here. :)

Did you watch any of the Dive in Movie? If so was there ample seating?

I didn't sit and watch any of them but I passed through Lido Deck a couple of times while the movies were on. The seating consists of all the chairs and loungers near the midships pool and then facing the screen on the terraces leading up to Deck 10, so there's ample seating. I HAVE seen times on previous cruises when every available chair was occupied -- it was for one of the Divergent movies -- so for popular films I'd suggest getting there a little early. And....free popcorn!

I didn't sit and watch any of them but I passed through Lido Deck a couple of times while the movies were on. The seating consists of all the chairs and loungers near the midships pool and then facing the screen on the terraces leading up to Deck 10, so there's ample seating. I HAVE seen times on previous cruises when every available chair was occupied -- it was for one of the Divergent movies -- so for popular films I'd suggest getting there a little early. And....free popcorn!

Thanks Fo the info.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We are currently ruse shopping and I'm leaning toward the Conquest for Feb. 2017. I see it isn't due for refurbishment until later that year. I know the last one was in 2012. Could you fill me in on the current overall condition of the ship. Thanks in advance!

JoAnn