Cairns day tours

Doing a last minute quickie 7 day cruise Brisbane/Barrier Reef/Brisbane. Need some R&R before Christmas descends upon us. Would like to do either Skyrail to Kuranda and then return by rail to Cairns or Mossman Gorge trip. Also book ships tour ($$$) or is either doable if I organise it myself. We are in Cairns 0900-2100hrs (12hrs). Limited walking for DH. Any advice or information from cruisers who have experienced either trip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

You can probably do the Skyrail/Scenic Railway yourself. We did it some years ago and it was great, but we were staying in Cairns at the time. You'd probably need to go up on the Skyrail and return on the Scenic Railway as you may not get off the ship on time to do it the other way around. You may not get much time in Kuranda though. I'm not sure about transfers, you might have to contact Skyrail https://www.skyrail.com.au/tours/skyrail-kuranda-rail

You could do either trip. Have you considered Port Douglas? The drive up there is beautiful and there are beaches all the way up to stop and look at, with great restaurants and cafes. There is an uphill walk from Kuranda station and the skyrail station. It's not too far but quite steep. From Cairns, check with skyrail/train as there is a bus you can catch from Cairns Central which is a short walk from the cruise terminal and it takes you to yhe skyrsil terminal which is quite a long way from the CBD. The train drops you off back at the same place. Might be slightly cheaper than cruise tour. Right next door to Skyrail is Tjapukai, an indigenous cultural centre and right next door to that is an army vehicle museum where they do rides on APV. If doing Skyrail/train, make sure you book early as sometimes the cruiseline books the whole day. Hiring a car could be an option as you could do Port Douglas/Mossman Gorge and even keep going up to the World Heritage Daintree Rainforest crossing the river on a ferry. Whatever you choose, check prices and leave yourself plenty of time to get back to the ship. Enjoy our beautiful part of the country.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks to both of you for the above information.

Will book early for the tour from Cairns. I was wondering if the ship booked out some of these tours, especially the 10am to 3pm tour, as it is on their list. We call into Port Douglas for 10 hours but as it is a tender port will have to watch the time if we consider Mossman Gorge.

There is a company called Cairns Tableland Tours that does a ship tour for the Skyrail and Train and they include lunch with a drink in the price. They are really good value $169 adults and we had a great time with them. Give them a try, maybe they have a tour already planned and have some room for you.

http://www.cairnstablelandtours.com.au