Would you do this upgrade?

MikeBTN

For future, I suggest looking into whether you can get 2 regular balcony rooms that are connected. We do that so that we have 2 bathrooms, extra space and additional privacy. Most of the time it's actually cheaper or just slightly more to go that route than putting 4 of us in 1 balcony.

Agreed. I think connecting cabins are the way to go. More space, privacy when you need it, and the extra bathroom is worth its weight in gold.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Good choice! I wouldn't have made that gamble for $2500.

For future, I suggest looking into whether you can get 2 regular balcony rooms that are connected. We do that so that we have 2 bathrooms, extra space and additional privacy. Most of the time it's actually cheaper or just slightly more to go that route than putting 4 of us in 1 balcony.

Yes, that's often what we do. That or a suite with a separate befroom. This was a last minute "cheap" cruise for us and the price we got for a JS was cheaper than I could have gotten all 4 of us in a D1. Connecting Boardwalk/CP balcony state rooms were about the price of the GS guarantee we're discussing and there were no connecting OV (my wife won't do connecting interior anymore, unfortunately). Since the JS has the curtain, we'll be fine. We haven't all cruised together in the same sleeping quarters since Disney 2+ years ago when they were 2 and 4.

With no GSs left they will just call up current GS occupants and offer them an upgrade for a price.

Mike, Garavar is right.

Just because you don't see any GS left, this doesn't mean that you will definitely get one of those suites that you DO see.

Keep your $2500 and take another cruise!

:)

Agree with these folks. The only time we ended up in similar straits we were offered a GS to an OS for $200 the week before departure for an 8-nighter on Indy. THAT I'd do at any time, but in my experience $2500 to go JS to GS is doggone close to what the normal price difference has been.

(and I wouldn't rule out they found someone willing to do the deal you were offered for our vacated GS)

Agree with these folks. The only time we ended up in similar straits we were offered a GS to an OS for $200 the week before departure for an 8-nighter on Indy. THAT I'd do at any time, but in my experience $2500 to go JS to GS is doggone close to what the normal price difference has been.

(and I wouldn't rule out they found someone willing to do the deal you were offered for our vacated GS)

If those CL and AS are still available a few days before sailing, I'll have my TA call and see what it would take to move up. Worst thing they can do is give me the retail price (about $6k), and I'll pass. :-)

I am willing to bet you $1K right now that if you book the GS Guarantee you will get a GS and not CL or AS.

With no GSs left they will just call up current GS occupants and offer them an upgrade for a price.

Sent from my STV100-1 using Forums mobile app

And you may lose that bet. It is possible to go from a JS to a CL.

Edited by Retired LEO

We've done a JS GTY and been upgraded to a GS. I think we moved from a D3 to a JS GTY about 4 days before sailing, though, and no JS were available. Probably not a lot of time for them to call for upsells. 18 days gives them a lot more time (although I know they've done this already.....4 weeks ago there were about 20 available suites and no JS available, the JS began to open up as folks were upgraded/upsold to suites; that happened about 2 weeks ago).

I may but I would take that bet any day. Odds in my favor.

We've done a JS GTY and been upgraded to a GS. I think we moved from a D3 to a JS GTY about 4 days before sailing, though, and no JS were available. Probably not a lot of time for them to call for upsells. 18 days gives them a lot more time (although I know they've done this already.....4 weeks ago there were about 20 available suites and no JS available, the JS began to open up as folks were upgraded/upsold to suites; that happened about 2 weeks ago).

I did a JS GTY and ended up with OV last week. More likely to get the JS than get upgraded.

60 cruises - zero upgrades

One suite gurantee - got a JS

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Forums mobile app

However many cruises in my sig, 15? Zero upgrades and I always offer to pay at check in counter and Guest Services.

1 Suite Guarantee - got an Oceanview on Deck 4

However many cruises in my sig, 15? Zero upgrades and I always offer to pay at check in counter and Guest Services.

1 Suite Guarantee - got an Oceanview on Deck 4

To be fair, you got a FREE OV out of the deal ;-)

Haven't seen a review, but I'm guessing you would have preferred the JS you paid for.

To be fair, you got a FREE OV out of the deal ;-)

Haven't seen a review, but I'm guessing you would have preferred the JS you paid for.

Yeah that was a good trade lol. Point being though they don't upgrade often.

No review aside from my few posts/comments in that thread. I would have preferred the JS and I am happy all my future cruises are booked in JS or GS with room already chosen.

For a 3 day cruise I wouldnt mind a non Suite if the price was practically free and I would do an interior not OV. Didn't like the bed being under the window with sun shinning on head.

4 of us - myself, DW, and two sons (3 & 6). Currently in a JS on Oasis. Sailing in 18 days. GS guarantee is available for $2,500 additional (paid approx 5k for our JS, after port fees & taxes). We would cancel our Voom (~$200 savings) and one drink package (~400 savings), so "net" cost of about $2k. Only suites available are 2 CL and a 12th deck 1 BR AS (Sky class).

I'd be slightly disappointed if we got a GS, since the room and balcony aren't THAT much larger, but we would still get full suite perks. The Mrs and I enjoy spending time in the SL.

I would be ecstatic if we got the CL or AS, and figure this close to sailing there's a 50/50 shot they just stick us there instead of upgrading someone else and placing us in the vacated GS. They already went through a bunch of upgrading/upselling according to friends of ours also on this sailing.

Or we can stay put - we're happy with our JS.

What would you do?

I would not. The "perks" are not worth that much more..