Is he in trouble? Crew members please respond!

FYI one of the crew we spoke with at a meet the entertainers session said that outside of normal job requirements you have to have 2.5 "bars" in order to be allowed in the passenger areas, but still have to be wearing uniform and name tag.

...........I wonder how that rule applies on the Disney ships?......I've never seen Goofy with a name tag on......he's kinda' recognizable right away.....;)

• 8 months later...

No one has really covered the difference in terms that are being used. A couple have made attemps to explain, but honestly, the rules can be a little complicated.

You have "crew." Some of these work mostly below deck and basically are only allowed in passenger areas is certain circumstances. Some crew have jobs that require them to deal with the pax, for instance, waiters, bartenders, room stewards, security, guest services, etc. They, of course can and do talk to passengers, but the limitations can be fairly strict, especially if they are off duty. The supervisors in this type of crew get a little more leeway, but not much more.

Then there are "staff". this would include the cruise director and his staff, the port and shopping guide, entertainers (the RCCL singers, dancers musicians who are onboard for a weeks or months long contract). Not only are they allowed to interact with passengers quite a lot, they are required to, especially the CD staff. It is part of their job. However, they still have limitations, most notably not being in a guest's cabin and not involved in any romantic activity. Hugs are not considered romantic activity, as we have hugged many of our cruise staff and crew members over the years, including bartenders, waitstaff, room stewards, etc, so no worries there. Staff are even allowed to go have a drink dance in the public area clubs, etc on a limited basis. They sometimes are only allowed to sit in one remote area if not dancing.

Feature entertainers (comics, jugglers, acts who are only onboard for a couple of days and then off again) are not much restricted at all.

"Officers" have mostly the same sort of restrictions as "staff"

Honestly, I'm not sure about the spa employees or the shoppies, as they are not usually directly employed by the cruise line, but I think they have mostly the same restrictions as pax facing crew members.

My knowledge on this subject is based on a dozen cruises, wherein, for various reasons, I have spent quite a lot of time hanging out with staff, crew and entertainers onboard. I've got stories.

You are absolutely 100% correct on this.

There is no way, no how, anybody can hack a secure email like GMAIL.

So let's put these unfounded rumours to rest once and for all.

Sincerely,

V. Putin

bcc J. Assange @ ecqatorembassy.com

Lost it. Nice job. :D;p

This is the second time I heard this exact story, even down to meet I g on pool deck and supervisor walked by, (word for word) and somehow he snooker a generous tip. You have been had my lady

You probably read it on this thread before since it is from last year, lol

Crew are limited in their access to guest areas during their off times, by rank. Typically, bar staff, wait staff, and housekeeping are not allowed to be in guest areas when not working. NCL has had for years a strong non-fraternization policy with guests, so it would simply be up to the supervisor to determine whether discipline was warranted. The Surveillance Department, that runs all the cameras around the ship, report to corporate outside the chain of command to the Captain, and they are empowered to hand out discipline for acts that they witness on video. Since you weren't in your cabin, I doubt he'd get fired, but if the hug was witnessed, it didn't help his cause.

I know of one Hotel Director who was fired for spending too much time in a guest's cabin, even though it was an old family friend.

And while they don't do it often, as others have pointed out, any communication done on a ship's computer is available for review by the employer. If the e-mails were sent using a personal laptop over wifi, I don't think the ship's servers save this data.

If every employee we have hugged over the years was disciplined there would be no crew, just saying.:D