Pre Cruise SJU WHich is the the best area

jakzak10

Doing the Celebrity Summit, reposition cruise in April 2017. Have been to SJU a few times on a cruise, but this will be our first time departing from the port. Thinking of doing a 2 night pre cruise and wondering what the best area, relatively close to the pier to stay in. Also any recommendation of hotels would be appreciated

Thanks

Alan

It depends what you want to do. If you want to go to the beach then you want to stay in the Condado or Isla Vista area. Last time I stayed at La Concha in Condado & would recommend it. Next month I'm staying at the Marriott pre-cruise, also in Condado. If you want to see Old San Juan it's the historic area, lots to see & do. I would also recommend El Convento. I stayed there last trip & doing 2 days there post-cruise in December. Very nice hotel & close to everything

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You'll be sailing from the Pan American pier...no reason to stay close to there....Consider staying in Old San Juan...We recently (May) stayed for our pre-cruise at the Sheraton Old San Juan (great location) easy and cheap taxi ride to the pier.

For 2 nights, there's always NOT San Juan. El Conquistador on the east part of the Island is a great resort, or you can go more simple and get a small place near the rain forest (a friend of mine did that 12 years ago, and really enjoyed it), or some other mountain area that is quiet and cool.

Some nice beach resorts on the south and west parts of Puerto Rico.... Heck a couple of days out on Culebra or Vieques would be nice too. (although, I would probably lean to the mountains, since the cruise will take you to beaches).

In other words, it depends on what you want to see and do.

I love San Juan, but there's a lot in Puerto Rico.

edit- travel back to the ship isn't a big deal- the car rental place at the airport is near the taxi area. Drop the car off, walk to the taxi area, and have them take you to the ship. If you do this in the 10-11am range, that's well before the flights dropping cruise passengers off start arriving together. For the most part, on a weekend (which all cruises leave) it's 2 hours at most from all parts of the Island (we are in Ponce all the time- 1 1/2 hours to the airport).

Edited by alfaeric