Is your complaint really that important now...

Salty Dawg

Take time to reflect on this which was originally posted on The C.C. RCI boards:

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>sea_u_onboard

Cool Cruiser

posted 05-20-04 09:30 AM

Thanks for all the information.

I wanted to pass on one of my favorite pieces about raising a special child. It hits very close to home for me as I'm sure it does many others. If you have a special needs child or know someone who has a special needs child please pass it on. I actually "dressed it up in Power Point and framed it to give to my husband for father's day one year. Grab a tissue and read.

Once a Mighty Ship

by Rodney Rowen

Looking back at the birth of my son, I think that I envisioned a mighty sailing ship being launched into the sea of life. My son would proudly command this sleek, beautiful vessel, forged of my own hopes and dreams; deftly trimming the huge white sails that would catch the winds of opportunity. We would journey together for a time while I showed him places he could go and help him when the need arose. Eventually, I would leave the ship and let him sail alone.

Two years after my son was born, my wife and I noticed that he was not doing things that most kids his age were doing. The doctors started running tests, and he began physical, occupational and speech therapies. At first, I wanted to believe that they were all wrong since I could still see my son on his mighty ship. Later, I realized the doctors were right, and there was something wrong.

A storm of emotions raged within me, engulfing my son's ship. Rain pounded it from the terrible sadness I felt. Thunder clapped in anger about having an abnormal child. Fierce winds of grief drove my son's mighty ship, crushing it upon the rocks. Worst of all, I "lost" the son I both wanted and expected.

Over time, the storm lessened, and the clouds cleared. I saw the ship had survived, but now it had been transformed from a sleek, racing machine that easily sliced through the water to a barge laboriously slogging through tough currents. The once mighty sails had been replaced with small tattered ones, and the hull gaped with large holes. I marveled that the ship could even float.

My son still proudly stands at the helm, unaware anything is wrong. I wonder if he will ever understand that his ship doesn't look like the others. As I look at the ship now, I see many other people at work. Some are patching the massive holes which everyone knows can never be fully repaired. Other people are just painting small spots or offering encouragement whenever they can. Still others think all this work is excessive. We constantly battle government agencies, insurance companies, and schools to make sure our son gets what he needs and deserves. My wife and I find ourselves acting as supervisors trying to make sure everyone is doing what is best for him. People suggest we try "this" and "that," but there is only so much time and money. We constantly judge which things help, which do not, and if it is time to try another "something new." It is difficult, because everything seems to help a little, but nothing helps a lot. Hope comes and goes, as do feelings of guilt for not doing more.

I realize that my job as guide and teacher is going to be much more difficult. Over and over, I teach him to do things that other kids pick up naturally. I feel such despair when I see other children half his age doing things that I only hope he will do some day. But, there IS hope, since improvement does happen, however slowly. I still have the same pride that all parents feel when their child finally accomplishes a task which they haven't been able to do before.

Lately, I have begun to wonder what the future will hold for my son, and there are many questions. Will he live independently? Will he have a job? Will he have any friends? It becomes clear that I may never be able to let my son sail his ship alone. In horror, I realize I may even die before my son completes his journey, and then I start to worry about the special wills and trusts which need to be created. I am haunted wondering who will take care of my son when I am unable. I find it difficult to even ask others to do this job let alone imagining anyone accepting it. Sometimes it seems so overwhelming, all these extra things I need to do.

Then I look at my son, and I see a little boy who seems so happy and content. He does not understand that he is different, and for that I believe he is lucky. I think I am lucky, too, since he is teaching me some important lessons. I believe all children are born with a kind of innocence that is quickly shattered as they grow and learn about "life." The life my son faces becomes a kind of blessing, since he will radiate that child-like innocence for a much longer period of time. In many ways, I also believe he exemplifies how everyone in the world should act. When he is happy, he smiles or laughs; when he is sad, he cries. He does not understand the societal rules which mask so many of our thoughts and feelings, nor does he exhibit any trace of the greed, dishonesty, racism, or bitterness so prevalent in today's world.

My son also gives to the world without expecting anything in return. While walking with him in the shopping mall, I have watched him look at people, make eye contact, and cheerfully say "Hi." Invariably, the person smiles back, and he has, for the moment at least, given them a small gift of kindness. He has also helped me question what is important in life. Is it really important what school a person attends, what job they have or how much money they make? I am beginning to realize that the most important things in life have more to do with just enjoying life.

Having a child with special needs is a strange gift. It is not one I would ever wish on anyone, but would never give up having received it. Taken individually, the additional challenges seem small, but the collective whole seems immense at times. The storms of rage and emotion still blow through, but now I wait to see where we will end up, knowing that my son's ship will indeed survive, and that we will journey to some unanticipated but exciting ports.

This is what I found on the author when I first discovered this some years ago.

Rodney lives with his wife, Pat, 5 year old son, Geoff, and his 1 year old daughter, Katie, in Redmond, Washington. Both Geoff and Katie have chromosomal translocations. In his spare time, Rodney plays volleyball, basketball, and enjoys doing woodworking.

-- Cheryl <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

angel45.gif

You are Blessed!

by Penny Parker

If you woke up this morning with more health than illness, you are more blessed than the million people who will not survive the week.

If you have never experienced the danger of battle, the loneliness of imprisonment, the agony of torture or the pangs of starvation, you are ahead of 500 million people around the world.

If you attend a church meeting without fear of harassment, arrest, or torture of death, you are more blessed than almost three billion people in the world.

If you have food in your refrigerator, clothes on your back, a roof over your head and a place to sleep, you are richer than 75% of this world.

If you have money in the bank, in your wallet, and spare change in a dish some place, you are among the top 8% of the world's wealthy.

If you hold up your head with a smile on your face and are truly thankful, you are blessed because the majority of us can, but most do not.

If you can read this message, you are more blessed than over two billion people in the world that cannot read anything at all.

When you compare our day to day problems with bigger problems around the world our troubles may not seem so large.

Count your blessings!

I am there!! My daughter is 42, and lives with me. She will never marry or have children. She is very happy in her world, and she loves to cruise. The road that led to this point in her life was long, painfull, and like a war. We had to fight every step of the way for her. Worth every minute of it. She is wonderful, and I wouldn't change any of it. She is my angel anf God picked me for her mother. I am blessed!! icon_smile.gif

Sue

7 days on Star Princess 10/24

Salty and Sue,

Just think these kids are precious treasures. No posting for me last Thursday. We were at State Special Olympics in Stillwater. Like to go every year. It makes my day and I love to cheer on Blake. (my friend's son) He is pure joy to be around.

Sue, you are just so much fun and so friendly. God, indeed, picks people like you for special children.

Sharon

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by sue d. miller:

I am there!! My daughter is 42, and lives with me. She will never marry or have children. She is very happy in her world, and she loves to cruise. The road that led to this point in her life was long, painfull, and like a war. We had to fight every step of the way for her. Worth every minute of it. She is wonderful, and I wouldn't change any of it. She is my angel anf God picked me for her mother. I am blessed!! icon_smile.gif

Sue

I am also blessed with a special child, who has grown into a 31 year old man, about to go on his first cruise with me this summer. It was so hard in the beginning, accepting Davids limitations, but he has grown into a happy, healthy adult. We too have come through many storms and dark days, and he also will never marry or have children, but he has many friends. He started his first REAL job last summer, at McDonalds, and his coworkers all love and respect him. He is a very hard worker. He will always live with me, as long as Im here. It has taken a lot to get to where we are now, but we have met many special people who have become friends, whom we would never have known otherwise. Life is good.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

The wonderful part of special kids, they have no idea they are different. And the joy they feel at being praised.All they ask for in life is to be loved!! That is the easy part!! icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

Stoneharborlady, I know your son will love it!! We take Donna every year, and she pays for it herself. Every week, she pays Dad, and almost siezes, she is so excited. We in turn pay for her cruise, and give her the money she saved for spending money. She doesn't know that, but she takes after Mom. She loves to shop!! icon_eek.gif She loves the music, and the buffet, and Island night, dancing, LOVES dressing for dinner, especially formal night, the shows, and sitting on deck. Of course you will have to plan many more cruises!! He will not leave you alone for a minuite till you say "we are booked". icon_biggrin.gif

Sue

Hi Sue, David is a big time shopper too. He has truly paid for most of his own cruise, and I know he is going to love it. He really loves to travel, but this will be his biggest trip yet. As long as he can get a pizza or burger and fries he will be fine, thats as adventurous as his taste buds get!!! I have a horrible feeling once he knows he can, he will be on the phone to room service all night!!!

Caribbean Princess July 3 2004

My personal favorite. I keep it next to my pictures of my two sons and whenever I don't think I can do just a little more, it makes me know I can. Bless all of us for welcoming another day with our exceptional children. I've seen this as Beatitudes for for Friends of Disabled People.

Beatities for Disabled People

Beatitudes for Disabled People....by Marjorie Chappell.

Blessed are you that never bids us "hurry up" and more blessed are you that do not snatch our tasks from our hands to do them for us, for often we need time rather than help.

Blessed are you who take time to listen to defective speech, for you help us to know that if we persevere, we can be understood.

Blessed are you who walk with us in public places and ignore the stares of strangers, for in your companionship we find havens of

relaxation.

Blessed are you who stand beside us as we enter new ventures, for our failures will be outweighed by times we surprise ourselves

and you.

Blessed are you who ask for our help, for our greatest need is to be needed.

Blessed are you when by all these things you assure us that the thing that makes us individuals is not our peculiar muscles,

nor our wounded nervous system,

but is the God-given self that no infirmity can confine.

Blessed are those who realize that I am human and don't expect me to be saintly just because I am disabled.

Blessed are those who pick things up without being asked.

Blessed are those who understand that sometimes I am weak and not just lazy.

Blessed are those who forget my disability of the body and see the shape of my soul.

Blessed are those who see me as a whole person, unique and complete, and not as a "half" and one of God's mistakes.

Blessed are those who love me just as I am without wondering what I might have been like.

Blessed are my friends on whom I depend,

for they are the substance and joy of my life!!!!

While not directly on topic I do think this is linked by idea of people overlooking the blessings they have.

I watched "Oprah in Africa" for a second time with my wife last night.

Watching Oprah reach out and touch the lives of children who were poor, hungry, with no hope and no parents due to the HIV epidemic in Africa reminded us of our plan to start donating to Oprah's Angel Network (Which we set up immediately so we wouldn't forget again)

It's so easy to get caught up in your own life, your own wants and little problems and forget those who have much greater challenges and needs.

BigDave

Enchantment 10/2002, Rhapsody 4/2004.

Caribbean Princess, E Carib. 11/27/2004 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2004;11;27;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Valor, W. Carib. 2/6/2005, Radiance, E. Carib 2/13/2005 countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=22AA22&cdt=2005;2;6;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

We are also blessed with a special child. He is about to graduate in June and is looking forward to actually getting paid for working! He can't work long, but he sure does try hard. He has taught me lessons in many, many ways. Two nights ago he did sign language to a song at a high school concert with a group of other special needs students and they got a standing ovation. He can speak very well, so to be able to do sign language is a nice extra that I can't even do! We plan to take him on his first cruise later this summer, if possible. I'm sure he'll get to know most crew members by the end of the week!

Thanks for the Beatitudes - I have printed them and will send a copy to school with him. I will also place them next to his graduation certificate.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Thanks for the dose of reality guys <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Here's another dose:

http://www.lifeiscruising.com/tribute

Happy Cruising

Chris

www.LifeIsCruising.com

Next up:

Caribbean Princess 06/26/04

Star Princess 10/24/04

Diamond Princess 12/22/04

Carnival Miracle 03/13/05

Carnival Valor 10/30/05

Chris,

Thank You for contributing that moving tribute.

Military life is difficult during peacetime, I cannot imagine what it is like during wartime. We should all be humbled by the courage of the men and women who serve our country.

You have touched my life today, and I am shaking, still.

Yes, Nancy, our complaints are really small and insignificant.

Sharon

And here one of my own favourite poems ... 'The Most Beautiful Flower'... guaranteed to make me make me stop and count my blessings.

It reads thus,

The park bench was deserted as I sat down to read; Beneath the long, straggly branches of an old willow tree. Disillustioned by life with good reason to frown; For the world was intent on dragging me down.

And if that weren't enough to ruin my day, A young boy out of breath approached me, all tired from play. He stood right before me with his head tilted down, And said with great excitement, "Look what I found!"

In his hand was a flower, and what a pitiful sight, With its petals all worn, not enough rain, or too little light. Wanting him to take his dead flower and go off to play, I faked a small smile and then shifted away.

But instead of retreating he sat next to my side, And place the flower to my nose and declared with overacted surprise, "It sure smells pretty and it's beautiful too. That's why I picked it; here it's for you".

The weed before me was dying or dead. Not vibrant of colours, orange, yellow or red. But I knew I must take it, or he might never leave. So I reached for the flower and replied "Just what I need".

But instead of him placing the flower in my hand, He held it mid-air without reason or plan. It was then that I noticed for the very first time; That weed-toting boy could not see: he was blind.

I heard my voice quiver, tears shone like the sun, As I thanked him for picking the very best one. "You're welcome" he smiled and then ran off to play, Unaware of the impact he'd had on my day.

I sat there and wondered how he managed to see, A self-pitying woman beneath an old willow tree. How did he know of my self-indulged plight? Perhaps from his heart, he'd been blessed with true sight.

Through the eyes of the blind child, at last I could see, The problem was not with the world; the problem was me. And for all of those times I myself had been blind, I vowed to see the beauty in life, and appreciate every second that's mine.

And then I held that wilted flower up to my nose, And breathed in the fragrance of a beautiful rose, And smiled as I watched that young boy, another weed in his hand, About to change the life of an unsuspecting old man.

Laura

God Bless each and every one of you on this thread!!

KATY

NCL NORWAY - 2000

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2001

GOLDEN PRINCESS - 2002

HAL NOORDAM - 2002

HAL VOLENDAM - 2003

ISLAND PRINCESS - NOV. 2003

HAL VOLENDAM - JAN. 2004

CORAL PRINCESS - OCT. 2004

Archived