Drinking-Turning 21 on Ship

neptune18

The promo UBP is assigned at booking so when entering his birth date the year would cause the system to assign soda package. You could try purchasing a UBP after your first day, but, I'm not sure if they allow this.

I think under 21 get a different colored key card? Or the corner is clipped or something? I agree with the above that if you want to get him the UBP you could try purchasing it after you board.

At the very least, after he turns 21 I don't see why you shouldn't be able to go to guest services and get him a new card indicating he is over 21.

My son will turn 21 on second (really, midnight of first) night of cruise. Will I be able to sign him up for free UBP?

AFAIK, no.

The UBP promo can only be applied to someone 21 or older.

The UBP can be purchased on the 1st or 2nd day of the cruise but it is expensive.

Also, if the UBP is purchased, everyone else in the stateroom over the age of 21 would also have to have the UBP (either promo or purchased).

He can get his status changed after he turns 21 so he can drink but he'll be better off paying "à la carte". :p

"The minimum drinking age for all alcoholic beverages on Norwegian Cruise Line ships is 21. Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted.

For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age."

https://www.ncl.com/faq/guest-conduct-policy

Not sure if they will let you purchase UBP for him (at the steep price of $79 per day plus 18%....probably cheaper to NOT buy it) or not (I would imagine they would, though, based on this language), but you will not be able to do so UNTIL he turns 21. So UBP as a perk is out unless you push the cruise back a day or week.

Edited by MikeBTN

What is the worst thing that happens if you put departure day as his birthday instead of the next day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The passenger manifest must be delivered to Homeland Security. They very well could not let him on board.

What is the worst thing that happens if you put departure day as his birthday instead of the next day?

The check in agents will compare the birth date on your passport/birth certificate and compare it to your identification and cruise docs. If they miss it there they will manage to catch it later in the day. They aren't new to having underage trying to drink on their ships. I'll just say I speak from experience on this and leave it at that.

The passenger info that you provide is passed on to CBP, and at least for US citizens, inconsistencies will be detected immediately (they already know your real birthdate). So you will be flagged for extra scrutiny when you present yourself for check-in, and the ship will be informed that something in their preliminary manifest wasn't correct. I can't say exactly what they will happen at that point, but as Até said, they've seen this many times before…

On NCL you can drink at 18 with written parental consent.

There are limitations...

"Guests who are 18 - 20 years of age can purchase and consume beer or wine when the ship is in international waters (3 miles out of US territorial waters). The age modification does not apply for Alaska and Hawaii sailings. The parent or legal guardian must be onboard the sailing with the young adult and present themselves at the Front Desk so they can sign the form allowing the consumption of beer and wine only. A notarized Parent Consent Form or any other document allowing for temporary guardianship for the purposes of the sailing only will not be accepted. For purposes of complying with the minimum drinking age requirements, a guest’s age is established upon embarkation (beginning of the cruise). If a guest celebrates their birthday during the cruise, and thereby becomes of age to consume alcohol, the guest may thereafter ask the Guest Services Manager to modify ship’s records to permit their consumption of alcohol during the remainder of the cruise. The guest will be required to appear at Guest Services to present a government issued form of identification to permit verification of their age."