Oasis, any deck/cabin location better for motion sickness?

SUNNY D

We are looking at sailing Oasis next October and I'm trying to choose a cabin to reserve the booking. We are not new to cruising but this will be our first time on such a large ship. I do my best to prepare for possible motion sickness ahead of time which includes cabin choice.

We prefer ocean view balcony cabins and have generally stayed mid ship on a mid deck to help with the motion on previous cruises. Is it an issue on such a large ship as Oasis or is aft, mid, front pretty much the same as motion goes?

The only mid ship, ocean view balcony cabins available are on decks 11 or 12. I can get a lower deck but then I'm aft or front. I'm just trying to figure out what I should prioritize...ship location, deck location or does it even matter?

Out of decks 11 or 12, 11 looks like its under more cabins on 12 so probably a good choice. I don't know what is above the cabins on 12 and I don't want to be in a noisy area listening to chairs moving around above my head either. Any advice for an ideal location for someone who gets motion sick would be appreciated. :) Thanks everyone.

The Oasis, is very stable any cabin location is good,

but midship is always a sure bet for those who have

Motion sickness.

We have sailed twice on Oasis in a CLS (17th floor aft)

and never noticed any movement.

Deck 15 & 16 are the pool/sport decks.

Edited by Mac303

Okay so consensus is mid ship should be priority over deck? I just looked again and these are my options...I should have posted these before (sorry) -

AFT, deck 6, 7, 9 or 11

MID, deck 12, 14 (theres only 1 cabin on 11 and I need 2 so that deck is out I guess)

FRONT, deck 6, 7, or 9

Thoughts with these options? Mid deck 12 the best for me?

I would go aft on six. Actually I just did a balcony aft on six. Loved it. One huge advantage is being able to just walk out to the boardwalk. As well there is a staircase down to the promenade deck. We were in 6664. I would book this deck again. Very convenient and no, we really had no movement issues. She is a big ship and seems to move little. Deck twelve midship has a disadvantage....there is a motorized cleaner that runs around at the top of that deck. I have heard that this occurs early morning and can be annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

If you are concerned about movement, choose middle. If you are sort of concerned, but not really, choose aft over forward. As the above-poster mentioned, deck 6 is a fantastic location to amenities. 11 is sort of "in between".

We were just on Oasis in September, and had 7190. It was a great location. Not far from the forward stairs/elevators. We didn't feel any movement. We did had flat seas though. I liked being closer to the water, rather than higher up. Very easy to run up to the Park Cafe in the morning for breakfast.

I'm on Oasis now, deck 6 aft and it's just fine. I have a history of vertigo, not quite the same as motion sickness but just as risky you might say. More than anything, I advise avoiding upper decks. On a ship as big as Oasis I have never had the sensation of front-to-back rocking, or that up-and-down "sinking" feeling that can throw me off worse than anything. What I have suffered is on Oasis deck 17/18 (loft suite), side-to-side rocking a couple of nights which made it hard for me to sleep well, and nearly the same on Allure deck 11 (as well as other ships on upper decks). You can get side-to-side rocking anywhere, forward/middle/aft, but more accentuated on upper decks.

So again, the big thing with me is avoiding upper decks - no higher than deck 9, and the lower the better.

Deck 6 aft is possibly the best location we've ever experienced. On Oasis we're right around the corner from the Boardwalk, right above the restaurants, directly below Windjammer & Wipe-Out, and it's a quick one-deck walk down to the Promenade Cafe where they nearly always (in primetime) have really good fresh-brewed coffee and finger sandwiches/deserts, plus lattes and such.

I'm inclined to agree that a lower deck may be the better option. Deck 12 for a mid ship location is pretty high. We sailed aft on our last cruise although it was one of the smallest ships we have been on so not sure how that compares. I did fine on the aft though but we did have calm waters.

So, there aren't any noise issues on deck 6 to be concerned with? I was thinking with the boardwalk around the corner and so much above and below it might be an issue.

Really appreciate everyones point of view. I was thinking mid ship first but now I think Im leaning towards the lower deck aft. Now I just gotta figure out which deck...6,7 or 9 so I can book this thing once and for all :)

We are looking at sailing Oasis next October and I'm trying to choose a cabin to reserve the booking. We are not new to cruising but this will be our first time on such a large ship. I do my best to prepare for possible motion sickness ahead of time which includes cabin choice.

We prefer ocean view balcony cabins and have generally stayed mid ship on a mid deck to help with the motion on previous cruises. Is it an issue on such a large ship as Oasis or is aft, mid, front pretty much the same as motion goes?

The only mid ship, ocean view balcony cabins available are on decks 11 or 12. I can get a lower deck but then I'm aft or front. I'm just trying to figure out what I should prioritize...ship location, deck location or does it even matter?

Out of decks 11 or 12, 11 looks like its under more cabins on 12 so probably a good choice. I don't know what is above the cabins on 12 and I don't want to be in a noisy area listening to chairs moving around above my head either. Any advice for an ideal location for someone who gets motion sick would be appreciated. :) Thanks everyone.

Hi Sunny D

Oasis was the most stable of all Royal Caribbean ships that I have been on. We were in the midst of three storms and I rarely even felt that we were moving. We had a balcony on deck 8 aft (ish). Location was very quiet, except for some normal neighborly noises.

So, there aren't any noise issues on deck 6 to be concerned with? I was thinking with the boardwalk around the corner and so much above and below it might be an issue.

Our deck 6 cabin is one of the quietest we've ever had, and we're just a few doors from the aft elevators. Before boarding I had a small concern about noise from the Boardwalk too, but haven't heard the smallest peep from anything happening there. Nothing from above or below us, just a little noise from next door every now and then. We're in an oceanview/outside balcony room, so we do have the insulation of the inner staterooms between us and the Boardwalk. But even in the hallway we can't hear anything at all from the BW.

Also I forgot to mention, we're in rough seas right now (thunderstorms yesterday/last night), was just up on deck 15 and the side-to-side was a bit rough. But the sway is barely noticeable in our stateroom.

Edited by Moonarino

I'm inclined to agree that a lower deck may be the better option. Deck 12 for a mid ship location is pretty high. We sailed aft on our last cruise although it was one of the smallest ships we have been on so not sure how that compares. I did fine on the aft though but we did have calm waters.

Really appreciate everyones point of view. I was thinking mid ship first but now I think Im leaning towards the lower deck aft. Now I just gotta figure out which deck...6,7 or 9 so I can book this thing once and for all :)

The higher the deck, the more movement. Mid-ship on 12 will have more "see-saw" action than deck 6 mid-ship. I would probably pick deck 6 aft.

I would go aft on six. Actually I just did a balcony aft on six. Loved it. One huge advantage is being able to just walk out to the boardwalk. As well there is a staircase down to the promenade deck. We were in 6664. I would book this deck again. Very convenient and no, we really had no movement issues. She is a big ship and seems to move little. Deck twelve midship has a disadvantage....there is a motorized cleaner that runs around at the top of that deck. I have heard that this occurs early morning and can be annoying.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Bonine. Even the most central cabin on a low deck on any ship will move if seas are moving enough. On Allure, we happened to have smooth seas and felt like we were in a hotel and not a ship, but that's not always the case. I take bonine for every cruise regardless of seas. I just adjust dosage if seas are rough.

I just got off Oasis and the last 4 days was very rocking. I think it really depend on the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Yep, regardless of the size of the ship, the sea is bigger.

We felt a LOT of movement on the Oasis to my sheer utter surprise! We had cabin 9610, mid-ship. We had PERFECT weather (Eastern Caribbean), but it was windy. It could have been just a fluke, I don't know, but even my friends that went with us and their son felt the same thing. For us (hubby, me and 6 yr old daughter), we could lay in bed in the afternoon for a nap and could literally see the horizon going sideways (up and down from the balcony) AND see our bathing suit cover-ups hanging on the wall swinging from side to side. It was really, really bad coming back north from St. Marteen. On our last formal night, my friend decided not to wear her heels because she couldn't hardly walk with the swaying. We asked the crew about it and one lady said that it was always very rough from St. Maarten back to the Bahamas. Sure enough, as soon as we hit the Bahamas, it was calm again.

On our first cruise on the Carnival Dream doing the same itinerary, we never felt that kind of movement. I don't know, maybe it was a fluke? Either way, we are about to book the Oasis again so it wasn't so bad it scared me from going on her again! The Oasis is a gorgeous ship and we had a blast! :)

You may want to try self help measures, like Seabands, Bonine, green apples, ginger candy or gum.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

8 years ago my doctor prescribed Ginger Ale starting a week before the cruise, and so far not a peep of actual motion sickness despite some rough waters. Canada Dry uses real ginger, Schweppes and Seagram's do not, or so I've been told.

I just got off Oasis and the last 4 days was very rocking. I think it really depend on the sea.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Same cruise, yeah, seas were persistently rough after about midweek. On upper decks I wobbled a few times. Felt the motion in our stateroom on deck 6, but it wasn't a problem at all.