The religious side of Christmas

beth4652

Cruzobsessed started a thread on celebrating Chanukah on board. I have seen plenty of comments relating to Christmas on board, but nothing in the religious aspects. This will be our first Christmas away from home. We are regular church goers and always attend the Christmas Eve services. Does anyone know if there will be a religious service onboard on Christmas Eve? How many of you will attend if there is? What religious traditions do you have at home that you might miss while on a cruise?

Cruzobsessed started a thread on celebrating Chanukah on board. I have seen plenty of comments relating to Christmas on board, but nothing in the religious aspects. This will be our first Christmas away from home. We are regular church goers and always attend the Christmas Eve services. Does anyone know if there will be a religious service onboard on Christmas Eve? How many of you will attend if there is? What religious traditions do you have at home that you might miss while on a cruise?

There is a religious side of Christmas?

(Just kidding)

We have already checked with a friend who works on the Serenade regarding Christmas. We were told that there will be Christmas eve / day services we can attend. We have never been gone on Christmas Day, and like you, attend church regularly. We will miss our candlelight service. As for traditions...My kids have always had stockings with 6 small gifts...they open one per day beginning a week before Christmas. When the stocking is empty, it is Christmas Day. We started this when they were little...it helped with the "when's Christmas question." My son is now married and my daughter will be traveling with me...so I doubt that the stocking tradition will happen. Our final feeling on it is that we can celebrate no matter where we are, as long as we are celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.

I was on a HAL Christmas cruise, and they offered a non-denominational Protestant service on Christmas Eve. No candles, no Communion, but a very nice service with a volunteer Pastor and traditional Christmas Hymns. They also offered a Catholic Mass on Christmas Eve and Christmas morning.

It is ironic that you posted this today. At work, we have all been invited to a "seasonal" party in December. Someone complained that we have gone too polically correct, and it should be called a Christmas party. Now the s*** has hit the fan, with people blasting the person that stuck up for Christmas.

But, to get back to your original question, I am sorry I can't help you. I have never sailed at Christmas time. I am sure someone else can answer that for you.:)

Hahahahahahaha! For real.

Actually the reason I wrote that is because most people today seem to have forgotton that Christmas IS a religious holiday. It seems that the meaning of Christmas has faded away. But thanks for humoring me though. I expected a lot of flaming for that one.

We have sailed twice at Christmas. Both cruises (on RCCL) had services both Christmas Eve and Christmas morning. On each cruise these services were well attended, both by passengers and crew. Location and times are posted in your Daily Compass. On each of our sailings a Catholic priest officiated at the service, but the service was non-demoniational.

Enjoy your Christmas cruise,

Sue

Actually the reason I wrote that is because most people today seem to have forgotton that Christmas IS a religious holiday. It seems that the meaning of Christmas has faded away. But thanks for humoring me though. I expected a lot of flaming for that one.

IMHO flaming does nothing except raise the BP of both the flamer and the flamee. I try not to do it and try not to take things too personally. It helps that my Midwest upbringing gave me a thick skin. To each his own.

IMHO flaming does nothing except raise the BP of both the flamer and the flamee. I try not to do it and try not to take things too personally. It helps that my Midwest upbringing gave me a thick skin. To each his own.

My Los Angeles upbringing gave me a thick skin too. All I was trying to do was bring up a point that most people don't even know what the meaning of Christmas is. It is sad really.

As far as flaming goes, When people try to flame me, I just laugh. I figured some people would not understand my intention and that is why I thought I would get flamed.

Merry Christmas!

beth, i'm glad that you appreciated what i started. what cruise will you be on? you never mentioned it.

We will be on Mariner of the Seas out of Port Canaveral Dec. 23-Jan. 2.

I'm happy to hear that the services were well attended.

Yes, Christmas is definitely commercialized. I try to look at it as two separate holidays --- one religious and the most important, and one secular. We participate in all the activities of our church, including the construction and portraying of Bethlehem; give extra to various charities; etc. One tradition that we will miss this year is that of going to the inner city at 8 a.m. on Christmas morning to sing carols with and serve breakfast to the homeless who come there. I don't feel guilty, though, about coming home and opening the pile of gifts under the tree.

We were on the Legend of the sEas through the Panama Canal over Christmas. We had decorations everywhere...Christmas Caroling on Christmas Eve in the Atrium...A lovely non denominational Christmas eve Service. A wonderful egg nog and cookie party with Santa and presents for everyone on Christmas morning. Dinner was formal and included Trukey with all the trimmings and 4 other entrees. Dinner entertainment was a special show by Ben Vereen who was fabulous. It was one of my best Christmases as we had our whole family on board and no one had to work. No stress...

We have already checked with a friend who works on the Serenade regarding Christmas. We were told that there will be Christmas eve / day services we can attend. We have never been gone on Christmas Day, and like you, attend church regularly. We will miss our candlelight service. As for traditions...My kids have always had stockings with 6 small gifts...they open one per day beginning a week before Christmas. When the stocking is empty, it is Christmas Day. We started this when they were little...it helped with the "when's Christmas question." My son is now married and my daughter will be traveling with me...so I doubt that the stocking tradition will happen. Our final feeling on it is that we can celebrate no matter where we are, as long as we are celebrating the true meaning of Christmas.

Nothing says you can't bring the stockings with you and keep the tradition alive. Now that I'm an adult (I'm the baby of the family) we no longer give big presents. Instead we all are assigned another family member to make a stocking for. Through the stockings, we're continuing a tradition that my grandmother started several years ago. When my mom and her sisters grew up and moved away from home, instead of buying presents they didn't really need, my grandmother started buying things like laundry detergent, deodorant, shampoo, kleenex, all sorts of practical things for Christmas. So for our stockings, everybody makes a list of the everyday things they use, and that is what everybody gets for Christmas, usually small travel sizes to keep costs down. We usually throw some small fun gifts in there too. But nobody is ever disappointed because they always get what they asked for. Also, instead of having to spend all that time Christmas shopping, we have more time to spend together as a family in a really hectic season.

As to celebrating Christmas on the ship, you can always bring your own Bible and read the Christmas story as a family. I think it would be pretty awe inspiring to read the Christmas story outside, under the stars like the one that led the Wisemen.

It always makes me angry to see how Christmas has become a convenient holiday for non-Christians. And I expect to get blasted for this by some....

Christmas is a Christian holiday. Period. Yes, I'm a Christian, actually I'm clergy. It makes me sad to hear about the "Christian 'side' of Christmas".... all of Christmas is Christian. Yes, I know, the focus is off. But that's still what it is. I hear people all the time arguing about "seasonal" parties vs "Christmas" parties.... what on earth is a "seasonal party"?? If you're celebrating Christmas, it's a Christmas party. If you're celebrating the snow, or the month of December, it's something else.

Christmas has become a convenient holiday for some folks. They get time off because they demand they not work over "the holidays". They argue that we shouldn't use the word Christmas to describe the holiday. But it *is* Christmas. I don't see those folks who want a "seasonal party" coming to work on Christmas morning because they don't celebrate Christmas.

How many people who don't celebrate Christmas have a tree in their house, presents under the tree, and a turkey dinner??? Why??? I just don't understand it....

I also feel badly for those who are different faiths (Jews, Muslims, etc) who not only can't have time off to celebrate their holy days, but get their time off around the Christian holy days. Yes, I know that allowing everyone to be off of work for their holy days would be, at the best, chaotic, but it's an ideal.

BTW, I realize that I probably took the thread way OT... to the OP, I believe that you'll be able to find ways to celebrate in your own way on board. Like others have said, take a look at your traditions and see if you can modify them to work for you at sea.

I think celebrating Christmas at sea will be beautiful.

Thanks pharmaguy and wrp96....stockings it is. ;) My DD and I are the two sailing together...since she is 20, I'll just have to fill her stocking with some fun cruise related things...magazines to read, underwater camera, etc. My son and family will just have to be trusted to open theirs daily. Looks like we will be in good shape...tradition, church service, old friends on the ship (crew we've met over the past 4 cruises), new friends, and celebrating the true meaning of Christmas while at sea!

What more could I ask for...maybe just a little snow??? :)

i had to read your post 3 times to understand what you were trying to say!!! i'm cruzobsessed and i'm the inspiration for starting this thread. i asked about celebrating "chanukah" at sea on a different thread. there are MANY threads about christmas at sea. mostly questions about decorations and such but there was really no mention of chanukah.

i completely and totally understand and agree with your sentiments. christmas IS more than trees, lights, presents and santa claus. the same way easter is more than chocolate, bunnies and easter egg hunts. somehow....it all gets lost in translation.

while onboard, i plan on participating in all of the christmas events onboard (with my kids) brcause i want them to "get it".

being jewish, we only "observe" what is fed to us via commercials on t.v. and in shopping malls.

How many people who don't celebrate Christmas have a tree in their house, presents under the tree, and a turkey dinner??? Why??? I just don't understand it....

I also feel badly for those who are different faiths (Jews, Muslims, etc) who not only can't have time off to celebrate their holy days, but get their time off around the Christian holy days. Yes, I know that allowing everyone to be off of work for their holy days would be, at the best, chaotic, but it's an ideal.

I do. I think that the spirit of Christmas is something to be celebrated by whoever wants to do so, Christian or not (I couldn't figure out how to answer the quote items one by one). I agree that it's overly commercialized and that for too many people, it's just a way to acquire stuff. We mostly have cats under the tree, batting away at the lower ornaments.

In California at least, people of all faiths can take off time to celebrate their holy days. We may be crazy out here, but we do some things ideally!

My DH and I will be taking our 4th Christmas cruise this year. It is one of the best things we have done for oursleves. We enjoy the Christmas carols sung by the crew members. We have attedendend the Ctholic Mass on Christmas day. It's just like ours back home.

I miss my dad terribly every Christmas. I have since 2000 when he passed away. (Mom gone in '79) My sibs all have too many family comitmments. So for me to leave was no hardship- my DH and I started our own tradtion by leaving for the holidays.

My DH's family? He's one of 12 They don't miss us being gone!

I don't miss making meals, or trying to get to two households over the holidays. I love the mass on board ship. It was nice.

I still put out my nativity scene and Christmas tree at home. And for fun I send out postcard christmas cards. Reminding all my codl weather friends that I am enjoying my warm holiday.

Christmas is what you make you. If it means anything to you its there with you all year. Isn't that what Scrooge said?

Have a very blessed Christmas!

My DH and I will be taking our 4th Christmas cruise this year. It is one of the best things we have done for oursleves. We enjoy the

Christmas is what you make you. If it means anything to you its there with you all year. Isn't that what Scrooge said?

Have a very blessed Christmas!

Followed, I believe by Tiny Tim, "God bless us, every one."

Archived