The religious side of Christmas

beth4652

It always makes me angry to see how Christmas has become a convenient holiday for non-Christians. And I expect to get blasted for this by some....

Christmas is a Christian holiday. Period. Yes, I'm a Christian, actually I'm clergy. It makes me sad to hear about the "Christian 'side' of Christmas".... all of Christmas is Christian. Yes, I know, the focus is off. But that's still what it is. I hear people all the time arguing about "seasonal" parties vs "Christmas" parties.... what on earth is a "seasonal party"?? If you're celebrating Christmas, it's a Christmas party. If you're celebrating the snow, or the month of December, it's something else.

Christmas has become a convenient holiday for some folks. They get time off because they demand they not work over "the holidays". They argue that we shouldn't use the word Christmas to describe the holiday. But it *is* Christmas. I don't see those folks who want a "seasonal party" coming to work on Christmas morning because they don't celebrate Christmas.

How many people who don't celebrate Christmas have a tree in their house, presents under the tree, and a turkey dinner??? Why??? I just don't understand it....

I also feel badly for those who are different faiths (Jews, Muslims, etc) who not only can't have time off to celebrate their holy days, but get their time off around the Christian holy days. Yes, I know that allowing everyone to be off of work for their holy days would be, at the best, chaotic, but it's an ideal.

I'm not here to blast you, just tell you that it saddens me that a member of the Clergy can't see the good that the Christmas season brings to all.

I'm sure there are many who want the "seasonal party" would love to come to work on December 25th and have another day that is important to their religion off- but it doesn't work that way. I think a celebration of the season is an appropriate term that does not exclude anyone based on their religious beliefs. And let's face it, what company "Christmas" party is ever thrown to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas? Most I've attended include some very unChristian behavior.

While many do not sit solemnly and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas I think most celebrate the love and gathering of family and friends. Yes, there are gifts but I think if you ask most, their fondest memories will be of the memories and time spent with loved ones over the gifts. Isn't that a message of Christmas? Bringing people together to celebrate life? Christian or non Christian- this Holy Day has united us in celebration. Pretty amazing even if feel that people are celebrating for the "wrong" reason.

I'm not here to blast you, just tell you that it saddens me that a member of the Clergy can't see the good that the Christmas season brings to all.

I'm sure there are many who want the "seasonal party" would love to come to work on December 25th and have another day that is important to their religion off- but it doesn't work that way. I think a celebration of the season is an appropriate term that does not exclude anyone based on their religious beliefs. And let's face it, what company "Christmas" party is ever thrown to celebrate the true meaning of Christmas? Most I've attended include some very unChristian behavior.

While many do not sit solemnly and celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ on Christmas I think most celebrate the love and gathering of family and friends. Yes, there are gifts but I think if you ask most, their fondest memories will be of the memories and time spent with loved ones over the gifts. Isn't that a message of Christmas? Bringing people together to celebrate life? Christian or non Christian- this Holy Day has united us in celebration. Pretty amazing even if feel that people are celebrating for the "wrong" reason.

Here here!! Thank you. I didn't quite know how to respond to the bitterness displayed by that person. Christmas is a time for anyone who chooses to celebrate. Not just Christians. And most parties are called Holiday Parties cause it is a time for everyone to celebrate...not just Christians. We have a HOLIDAY party at my office, not just for Christmas, but Chanuka, kwanza or whatever anyone might be celebrating. Please someone tell that person to stop being so sinical.

It always makes me angry to see how Christmas has become a convenient holiday for non-Christians. And I expect to get blasted for this by some....

Christmas is a Christian holiday. Period. Yes, I'm a Christian, actually I'm clergy. It makes me sad to hear about the "Christian 'side' of Christmas".... all of Christmas is Christian. Yes, I know, the focus is off. But that's still what it is. I hear people all the time arguing about "seasonal" parties vs "Christmas" parties.... what on earth is a "seasonal party"?? If you're celebrating Christmas, it's a Christmas party. If you're celebrating the snow, or the month of December, it's something else.

Christmas has become a convenient holiday for some folks. They get time off because they demand they not work over "the holidays". They argue that we shouldn't use the word Christmas to describe the holiday. But it *is* Christmas. I don't see those folks who want a "seasonal party" coming to work on Christmas morning because they don't celebrate Christmas.

How many people who don't celebrate Christmas have a tree in their house, presents under the tree, and a turkey dinner??? Why??? I just don't understand it....

I also feel badly for those who are different faiths (Jews, Muslims, etc) who not only can't have time off to celebrate their holy days, but get their time off around the Christian holy days. Yes, I know that allowing everyone to be off of work for their holy days would be, at the best, chaotic, but it's an ideal.

Perhaps that is how things are in "Pugwash", but things are very different down here. People DO get to take off discretionary days, according to their religious beliefs.

And even MORE to the point, I know hundreds of Jews, including my 83 year old father, who GO TO WORK EVERY CHRISTMAS MORNING IN HOSPITALS AND NURSING HOMES, SO THAT THE CHRISTIAN EMPLOYEES CAN HAVE THE DAY OFF........

Perhaps that is how things are in "Pugwash", but things are very different down here. People DO get to take off discretionary days, according to their religious beliefs.

And even MORE to the point, I know hundreds of Jews, including my 83 year old father, who GO TO WORK EVERY CHRISTMAS MORNING IN HOSPITALS AND NURSING HOMES, SO THAT THE CHRISTIAN EMPLOYEES CAN HAVE THE DAY OFF........

Here here again. I couldn't have said it better myself.

I'm sorry about my last post... I hadn't meant to upset folks this way. I apologize to folks that I've upset -- that wasn't my intent. I'm not sure where to start.....

If you were to meet me in person, I'm one of the more relaxed "clergy-types". I re-read what I had written above and realize that I didn't word things well at all. I've been described as being bitter and cynical, and in real life I'm not at all. I had written that I was angry, but in fact it's more sadness than anger. I love Christmas, and all that it means... including the spirit of love that it brings to families and communities. What I was trying to get at, and didn't do a good job, was that there are some who celebrate the "season" without having ANY other reason other than the commercial bits. And as much as love, family time, and special memories do make a large part of Christmas (although this should be year-round, not just for a few weeks each year), in the end Christmas is a Christian holiday. Not that no one else can celebrate it... and I never meant that. I just wish that everyone could figure out why they're celebrating, and it sounds like those who have posted here do know that.

cruzobsessed, I think it's cool that you want your kids to be aware of what Christmas really is, other than the TV stuff. And when DH and I have kids (in the next couple of years) we intend to expose them to other traditions, not just the stereotypes that might be seen in cartoons / movies / etc.

I also don't feel that Christians have the corner on the "season".... Christian, Jewish, Muslim, or any group. Actually, the date that Christmas is celebrated is based on an ancient pagan celebration.

I'm glad to hear that folks in some places have the option of having their own holy days off... but it's not always the case here, and I know it's not the case in some other places, either. To some folks, maybe I live in the "back woods". Our capital city, Halifax, has a population of only a bit under 400,000 people (small by city standards). I've met many Muslim families who have had to make the choice between keeping a job and working Mon - Fri, or worshipping on Friday afternoon and losing a job. Halifax is in the process of changing, with an increasingly diverse population. It sounds like others' experiences are different, and I'm glad.

Again, I'm sorry that I didn't write my thoughts well, and I'm sorry that I've sidetracked the original point of the OP's post. I'd like to return this post to the original question of celebrating Christmas onboard.

I just left the cigarette posts and ran into this. Either I sure know how to pick 'em or I just know where to go for action! oops...for activity!

I refuse to start a thread -

Should a person light up a cigarette on Christmas Day on their cruise?.....hmmm, what would Jesus do?

Stop!

Archived