Gluten Free

friendlyfifer

I only have experience with Viking River and they were excellent at giving me a Gluten-free dining experience. I explained that I have celiac and need to be 100% gluten free. Each morning I would visit with dining room and they would point out which items could be made gluten free. I would order what I wanted. They did have gluten free breads and one ship had the most delicious gluten free croissants! I was offered gluten free French toast for breakfast. Yumm

I did not see much in the way of special gluten free desserts. They offer ice cream of course but I avoid dairy as well. I am not a big fan of desserts so that did not bother me.

I hear reports that Viking Ocean is equally responsive to gluten free needs. It is important to tell the agent when you book but equally important (if not more so) to stop by the dining room upon boarding and introduce yourself to the Maitre'd explaining your needs. You will find some waiters are better at understanding gluten free and you should ask to be seated in their section. Of course a good tip at the end will encourage the waiters to be responsive to dietary needs.

I'm not GF but do have dietary restrictions and can tell you from experience that Viking takes all dietary issues seriously. I was assigned a 'fairy godmother' who visited me each evening with the next evening's menus so I could choose my meal (and if I could not be found, a menu was left on my door). Breakfast and lunch I was on my own but there was always someone in a navy blue suit with gold braid prowling the World Cafe who could answer questions about ingredients for me.

From the Viking FAQs:

Can you accommodate my dietary restrictions?

In most cases we can. Every meal has vegetarian options and our chefs will make reasonable efforts to accommodate requests. Guests requiring special diets (low salt, diabetic, gluten-free and low cholesterol) should alert us 90 days prior to departure and remind the Maître d’ when on board.

Edited by Peregrina651

Can anyone tell me how easy it is to have a gluten free diet on Viking? Do you have to order the previous night for dinner and do they provide gf bread and cakes? Many thanks

My wife is a celiac and she has never had any trouble eating gluten free on river or big ship cruises. The only difference we've found is that the big ships bring you the next day menu the night before and you select what you want. On the river cruises it's more on an in situ basis. Just identify yourself to the maitre d' and you will be well taken care of. When we travel on land on our own we take restaurant cards in the native languages and have never had any trouble either.